10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Finally built starting survivors and lion - my experiences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I built my starting survivors and lion last night. I was really quite intimidated by the project at first, but once I got going it was not so bad. It took me about 3hrs in all. I am very very slow.

I definitely appreciated how the prologue sprue chracters parts were labelled A, B, C, D etc. It was then just a question of clipping all the bits shaving and cleaning and then dry fitting a whole bunch times before glueing. I went for plastic cement (Revell Contacta Professional).

It was my first time using any sort of glue like this and I must say it was quite a pleasure to work with. I was really very nervous as I hadnt assembled a mini in like 20yrs and even then, I dont think I had ever assembled anything of this complexity (and these are the easy guys to do!) and I had heard all about how any spilt plastic cement can eat into the models and destroy detail. But the needle tip allows for great control.

Zachary (I think) was the toughest for me. Those two bits of cloth were pesky to dry fit. I kept dropping them and there was no overly obvious place for them. Got them positioned correctly in the end I think. His face has a bit of a disappointing join though. By comparison, the crouching girl (Lucy is it?) I found okay to do, despite her coming in more bits.

My Lion went together pretty well too. I am fairly happy with the join lines in general (I guess the plastic cement really helped), though the face does not fit right as reported by most. There is also a gap behind the front left leg (up under its armpit where it joins the body), which I figure is unavoidable.

Anyway I am going to finally get to play a couple of rounds now, then the next project will be the butcher. He looks like he is going to be a whole step or two up in terms of dificulty to assemble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
I found so far, that there may more pieces, but difficulty level is about (from very to not):

-Phoenix
big gap
-Watcher
-Humanoid Enemies
-Survivors (basic ones) + Lion + Antilope
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The Watcher looks really fiddly. So I am not surprised that that is up there. Though the big gap between him and the phoenix is pretty scary. I really want to get the phoenix assembled and see him all built up but I am really very nervous about starting him.

I wish they would get a move on with the official build guides on kingdomdeath.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
A tip for the phoenix: don't stress.
Yes. There are 30 little hands. The rest is easy enough.
Watch a Youtube video, there is a full hand guide there which helped me a lot! Watch it before you start (as he probably corrects himself once or twice). Dry fit everything, make sure when hands fall down -and they will- you can find them easily (it made me nuts always picking up the flashlight and searching the floor).
If you can't figure out a hand, skip it -come back to it. After the first few hands it went pretty well and i didn't even notice it anymore (audio book -autopilot) and suddenly only 10 left.

I like this one, as his hands are very obvious and the camera is pretty sharp!

And for the watcher: there is no real consensus about what goes where. http://vibrantlantern.com/build/watcher/ This guide is pretty good, though I did spot a few differences to the original picture. I have most differences documented somewhere, so if you are interested send me a pm -but the differences are minor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That video will sure come in handy (pardon the pun).

It really is daunting going in to some of these builds without official instructions.

I watched Shin's videos on Youtube for the prologue sprue. Its definitely well worth watching someone else run through it all first. Then flick between the video and some higher res pictures of the models as you dry fit.

I am enjoying it though. I thought my OCD would get the better of me with it, but I have been pretty satisfied with what I have produced so far. Saying that, I dont think I could cope with painting them though. That is going to be a step too far for me I fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sion Zris
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
mb
awsh wrote:
I thought my OCD would get the better of me with it, but I have been pretty satisfied with what I have produced so far.
My wife was fairly concerned about that as well...^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
Protip on the Phoenix:

Don't clip the hands, don't assemble the hands, don't paint it - until we get the proper assembly guides.

Otherwise yes, it's going to be a hard task.

The phoenix will still look totally awesome without the tiny hands for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1443242/phoenix-assembly/pa...

Phoenix hand guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Australia
flag msg tools
Krulz wrote:
Nice one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Clark
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
Also for those not used to assembling miniatures, do yourself a favor and don't use superglue. Go to your local hobby store and get some plastic cement. Testors is good. It dries faster, holds easier, and won't make your fingers stick to the models (or leave crusty residue that will stay on your hands so long you'll take it to your grave).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls