Subject: The Quintessential Star Wars Board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I use free shipping as an excuse to buy more gamesMicrobadge: Minnesota Twins fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Northwestern UniversityMicrobadge: Bass Guitar fan
Today, I was doing my daily BGG check and just happened to see "Star Wars Rebellion" at the top of "The Hotness list"

Of course I clicked on it and almost starting tearing up at what I saw...

After learning about TI3 and other 4x epic space games, including star craft, eclipse and exodus, I always wondered, "How has a star wars game like this not been designed?"

Well, I guess it was being designed after all.

The main question: Will this game deliver? I have yet to read anything about as I am just so excited I had to post about it, but after this game comes out, I cannot imagine another game like this for Star Wars ever coming out again any time soon.

FFG seems to have an amazing track record with Star Wars games, so should we even be worried at all?

I would love to hear what others have to say about this game.

One comment I briefly saw was how this game has everything right out of the box. My biggest complaint of Armada, X Wings, and Imperial Assault is how you felt pressured into buying all the expansions. It looks like that will not be a problem with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game definitely has a lot going for it from a Star Wars fan perspective. Iconic ships/units, iconic characters playing a key role, iconic planets, and lots of missions and combat cards that directly evoke story elements from the movies and expanded universe.

We just don't know enough about gameplay mechanics yet to judge them very accurately, but the playtime is listed as 3-4 hours so it's gonna be a somewhat heavy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I use free shipping as an excuse to buy more gamesMicrobadge: Minnesota Twins fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Northwestern UniversityMicrobadge: Bass Guitar fan
Depth is definitely my biggest concern.

TI3 has always looked cool to me, but I have never bothered really trying to play it because of how long it takes and its complexity.

On the other hand, I would never really care to play star wars risk because it just seems so watered down from what it should be.

Rebellion looks like the perfect medium between these two. I hope rules are easy enough. I guess gameplay should take at least a few hours. I mean we are talking the star wars galaxy here. If a game just took an hour, that just would not feel right.

That being said, it would be cool if there was some sort of skirmish mode. Like in the PC game, Empire at War, there were different lengthed campaigns you could play. Maybe they would do that for this game? Have like an epic several hour full galaxy campaign, then like a 1-2 hour few planet campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:
One comment I briefly saw was how this game has everything right out of the box. My biggest complaint of Armada, X Wings, and Imperial Assault is how you felt pressured into buying all the expansions. It looks like that will not be a problem with this game.
Well, Armada and X-Wing are miniatures games. As such, by their very nature, they are expandable (and much more customizable). The base games can't have everything in them without costing way more than they should, and if they did have more, they would kind of be steering you towards specific builds.

Imperial Assault is more board game-ish, but it is still a system that lends itself more directly the expansions (especially due to the skirmish system, which leans more towards the "miniatures games" road). But as a campaign-style system, with a more open world, expansions are more expected.

Rebellion, on the other hand, appears to be a more traditional board game setting - one that is meant to be more "complete" as is. That doesn't mean it won't have expansions, but rather like more "traditional" games, what you get in the box will be very solid. I suspect this will be more like Starcraft and TI3 in that regard - there may be expansions later, but not in droves, and not necessary for a great gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I think the reason why a game like this hasn't been published before is because the idea of it strays pretty far from what's shown in the films.

You don't really get a galaxy eye view of the Galactic Civil War in the films. You do see key battles, but don't get a good sense of fleet maneuvers, economic strategy, force composition, etc.

It's a lot easier to design a game like x-wing and assault because the capabilities of the units are well represented in the films.

Any extended universe fans know how many star destroyers the Empire had just before ROTJ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Groo the Wanderer fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Pizza loverMicrobadge: "Oh, yeah, feel real good about kicking a fish's butt. That's real nice."Microbadge: Robotech RPG Tactics fan - Zentraedi
This doesn't seem like a 4X game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
coffeedream wrote:

I think the reason why a game like this hasn't been published before is because the idea of it strays pretty far from what's shown in the films.

You don't really get a galaxy eye view of the Galactic Civil War in the films. You do see key battles, but don't get a good sense of fleet maneuvers, economic strategy, force composition, etc.

It's a lot easier to design a game like x-wing and assault because the capabilities of the units are well represented in the films.

Any extended universe fans know how many star destroyers the Empire had just before ROTJ?
The reason why this game sounds so cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The other practical reason a game like this hasnt been made is that despite FFG having the licence to all things Star Wars - Hasbro retains the licence for board games - churning out endless versions of risk/monopoly etc - this leaves a massive untapped area of design space for 'modern designer board games' using the SW IP.

I imagine the success of Imperial Assault gave FFG some leverage in being able to negotiate Hasbro's permission to do this game? Or maybe FFG got disney involved and said "Hey we could make a ton of money if we could make boardgames..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mb
n815e wrote:
This doesn't seem like a 4X game to me.
Agreed. From what we know so far, it doesn't appear to be 4x. I'm sure it'll be very cool, but apparently not 4x, if that matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
The other practical reason a game like this hasnt been made is that despite FFG having the licence to all things Star Wars - Hasbro retains the licence for board games - churning out endless versions of risk/monopoly etc - this leaves a massive untapped area of design space for 'modern designer board games' using the SW IP.

I imagine the success of Imperial Assault gave FFG some leverage in being able to negotiate Hasbro's permission to do this game? Or maybe FFG got disney involved and said "Hey we could make a ton of money if we could make boardgames..."
We'll have to see if FFG is able to sell it on their online store. You can't buy Imperial Assault from FFG directly, which based on an email I got from FFG (where I was inquiring about it's lack of presence in their store) has something to do with a licensing agreement with Hasbro. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if this game has a similar agreement, and that you won't be able to get it directly from FFG. Maybe FFG and Hasbro worked out an arrangement to bypass the boardgame thing for specific products, but Hasbro gets to be the distributor.

Of course, maybe Rebellion will be available from FFG direct. We'll have to see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think they had 25000 star destroyers...i think this game is more war of the ring,horus herasy like then TI3 like...i think there will be some sort of expansion if the game sells...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Choi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Upon looking closer at the component you guys are right that it doesn't look like a 4x.

It actually looks like it could play similar to Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Barros
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm betting on a War of the Ring approach without the action die.

In other words, a 2p game that might have some bad ruling for 4p.

Hope to be wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..mmh.. well, another FFG Star Wars "Dice Rolling" game in a diff. scale.. a bit of history repeating...wait and see.

(To be honest my last SWIA campaign mission was ruined by this ******* black die)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coffeedream wrote:
Upon looking closer at the component you guys are right that it doesn't look like a 4x.

Right, or Twilight Struggle, or War of the Ring. This is an asymmetric strategy game with wargame elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Besaw
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
So c-c-c-c-old!
mbmbmbmb
bassman211 wrote:

FFG seems to have an amazing track record with Star Wars games, so should we even be worried at all?

Obviously we have to wait until it's out and breathes a little before we'll know. However in saying that, FFG has been so consistent with their games showing solid development, production and playtesting that I'm convinced this will be a good game. Now the question for me isn't will it be a good game but Will it be a great game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik B
Germany
München
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
coffeedream wrote:

Right, or Twilight Struggle, or War of the Ring. This is an asymmetric strategy game with wargame elements.
This. For me, this looks like a war of the ring in the star wars universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pnopf wrote:
Hansolo88 wrote:
coffeedream wrote:

This. For me, this looks like a war of the ring in the star wars universe.

That makes me feel all tingly inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansolo88 wrote:
So far I'm fine with what I'm seeing/hearing and I'm eager to play this version, with nice minis and the usual FFG quality, but... to be honest, I'm still waiting for a true wargame in the Star Wars universe, like Federation & Empire for the trekkers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls