Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all.

From the games of Blood Rage I have played, my impression is that ships are underpowered. They are inflexible because they cannot move and must participate in all neighbouring battles. The ships special ability - namely that they can attack two provinces from the same fjord - quickly loses its worth as provinces are destroyed or pillaged. Whenever I or my friends invade with ships or sea serpents, they tend to just die because someone else invades the area with more force, unless I specifically focus my efforts on protecting the ship.

In my next games, I plan on houseruling ships cheaper in order to make them worth building.

What do you think? Am I just using them wrong, or am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Ships have two strength in battle AND count as being in multiple provinces. I don't see how two rage is to expensive for that. They also give you an in into provinces that are already full. They allow a lot of versatility. I feel your house rule would make the ships overpowered.

Your house rule would also make the upgrade cards that give glory when a ship is destroyed very powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once but they seem fine. First off, the upgrades where you get a bunch of points if they die are pretty nice. Second, ships don't take up a village spot. You're supposed to use them late in the round when a spot is full or near full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they have solid utility. A 2 power unit that doesn't require a settlement and can be used in two provinces is darn useful. Sure they can't move, but they can be destroyed in a losing battle or during Ragnarok so a little forethought is required. No problems for me. If they die, they go back to your reserve and you can use them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cable
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem lies with your Leader that has (3) STR and invades for free. I would also rather spend rage on monsters instead of the ships. I personally have only seen ships used as a sacrifice to gain more glory with the few games I have played.

Using them later in the game is a little dangerous, since they chew up 2 of your rage. I agree that the ships are a little under powered, but the only rule I would change, would be to allow them to march to other areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're also under-selling just how great they are for:

a) completing quests

and

b) hiding which quests you're trying to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vander Velden
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolvercote wrote:
......If they die, they go back to your reserve and you can use them again.
I am pretty sure ships go to Vahalla like any other figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vander Velden
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think ships are good the way they are. Some extra power that cannot be blocked and huge glory potential. I would not house rule just yet give it some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing that's extremely important, if someone fills up a province, you can always drop a ship there to have a shot at stopping them from pillaging.

Ships require more forethought and precision and you have to be a bit more careful. This gives them a niche, one that is interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're also great in a Fire Dragons strategy (obviously) because careful placement of them can pretty much guarantee you a slew of VPs if opponents want to pillage a territory. And if they don't, then they'll have to concede you the pillaging, potentially in two provinces.

Burning 2 rage for those VPs every round that you have the bonus available is often a no-brainer. It will ALWAYS be a no-brainer if they're made even cheaper. And the pillaging makes for a nice consolation prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Roth
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
badge
Basel, CH - Contact me if you are in the area and want to play some games :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrong. Ships are powerful because they let you pillage fast, usually before others can react. -> Because a ship gives you the opportunity to pillage one of the two adjacent provinces early, sometimes already in the first turn of age 2 or 3! (And often there is at least one which has none or little figures in it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the leader + ship opening.

Then pillage with the ship twice, move the leader for free - suddenly it's very efficient.

Ships are usually best reserved for the Freijord where the last ragnarok will take place, to somewhere you can use to Pillage Twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls