Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I want to confirm the rules because I'm puzzled. It appears in Tuscany we choose our positions on the board in the beginning of the game and then just keep moving down one space each year. The result is that the first player goes first the entire game. In a 2 player game it results in a significant advantage. In Viticulture there was a decision each year with pros and cons of the decision. Am I misunderstanding the rules? Am I wrong that it benefits/punishes the player throughout the game without any other advantage to compensate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is wrong...

Assuming you are talking about the extended board when eachnplayer passes in the winter he immediately does the End of Year steps and one of those steps is choosing a position on the wake up track, it can be the same space or a new one... You can't chose the 1st space on the track because that place can only be taken by the player (if any) that chose the 7th space on the track that year...
So the turn order will change during the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heather: I think the easiest way to remember how this works is to follow the steps written on the board underneath the wake-up chart at the end of the year. That's when you'll choose your new wake-up position--you get to choose any spring position you want (except the #1 spot, which you can only choose--in fact, you must choose it--if you woke up 7th the previous year).

Perhaps someone taught you incorrectly about moving down one space each year, because that's nowhere in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
A silly side note for the sake of completeness: when passing, you can't pick the same position that somebody who passed earlier than you chose. So the first player passing out of winter has free choice (other than the caveat mentioned by Paulo and Jamey regarding the #1 spot), the second player passing can't choose the position chosen by the first player, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thank God - very happy to be wrong as the way we were playing it was just shtoopid. As 2nd player I still managed to tie points due to awesome (but ultimately lost in lira).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy H
msg tools
There is, what I call, an unfair disadvantage when following these rules in a three-player game. One person never seems to get to choose the 7th position. When you play three-player do find this to be the case?

FYI I love the game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hechtandrew wrote:
There is, what I call, an unfair disadvantage when following these rules in a three-player game. One person never seems to get to choose the 7th position. When you play three-player do find this to be the case?

FYI I love the game!!!
No, because someone will eventually use less of their workers in Winter and they will pass first and can then choose to go 7th if they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls