Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently started playing my first play by forum games. Codenames seems perfectly set up for it and I have enjoyed a number of good games already.
Poll
Have you ever played by forum on BGG?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
29.0% 65
No
71.0% 159
Voters 224
If not, why?
I didn't know you could.
7.2% 15
I don't have the time.
7.7% 16
I don't know how to get started.
14.8% 31
It seems to complicated.
5.7% 12
I prefer face to face.
35.4% 74
Other.
6.2% 13
I do play by forum!
23.0% 48
Voters 209
Now that you know about it, will you give it a try?
I already do!
19.9% 43
No.
45.8% 99
Maybe.
31.9% 69
Yes, I am going to try it.
2.3% 5
Voters 216
This poll is now closed.   226 answers
Poll created by Syvanis
Closes: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:00 am

4 - What PBFs have you participated in?

5 - What are the benefits/drawbacks to PBF?

Want to see this every week (or whenever I get around to it?) Click and subscribe!

If you have a good idea for a weekly poll feel free to Geekmail me. I am open to letting others make their own if you are interested as well. Thanks for checking it out.

Don't forget to thumb up above. The more involved the better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried it and with sites like Yucata, boardgamearena, and others, I don't feel to urge yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played BSG 4 or 5 times.
Betrayal at the House in the Hill once
Saboteur a few times
Shadow Hunters a half a dozen times (and currently playing)
Cyrano once

Wouldn't say there's a 'benefit'. But, it's something to do with your BGG friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play by forum very often but I've done:

Clash of Cultures

The Resistance

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)

Clash of cultures is fantastic as a PbF. Games take about 3 weeks with ~once per day posting. The asynchronous turns make for very strong play since players have all the time they want to think about their options.

Resistance takes about as long which works but it a totally different experience than a 15 min face to face affair.

aGoT took about 6 months which was very long, especially since I was knocked out of contention by round 4.

In general, games with lots of face to face discussion slow way down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play by forum on the RPG side of things, not as interested in trying it for board games, as those are a lot easier to play irl. The benefit is that I get to play/try some very interesting games, the drawback is that it takes a lot longer than a f2f game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
4 - Imperial Assault / Play by Forum, running two campaigns as the Imperial Player and being a Rebel Hero in one/two others.

5 - Benefits:
- can play multiple games/campaigns at the same time
- satisfies the need to play a great game when it can't get played enough in the game group
- becomes a slightly different game experience, because there is much more strategic considerations than in real life and in real time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

I've played in and even hosted several different PBF games. Mostly Werewolf, but also Merchants & Marauders and High Frontier.

The best part about them is being able to play games with anyone at any time, without having to get everyone in the same room. You don't even need to be online at the exact same times, and can even be on opposite sides of the world. With deeper strategy games, it can also be really nice to have all of the extra time between turns to plan out moves without holding up the game. You also have the advantage of being able to play in between doing countless other things (work, etc.) without needing to stay logged into a particular website like when playing online in real time.

The biggest drawback is that they can really drag out and take a long time to play, especially if there are one or two players that only bother to check in or post every few days. Everyone involved needs to be engaged in it and be willing to participate frequently all the way to the end or the game will suffer. If a player or two loses interest and drifts off it can kill the game completely. Games like Werewolf mostly avoid this by having set times for each round to start and finish, but if no one is posting it can still become a very tedious game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried some Zendo pbf briefly, and it seems very easy to manage that way. But I just didn't get the same thrill from it that I do on a table, and I found that it was too hard to keep up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot, Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company, The Resistance: Avalon, and The Resistance.
Planning one of the first 2 again for Dec-Jan start...

Don't have to hunt up f2f players
For games like the Resistance- Drawbacks: can't use facial gestures, vocal intonations, physical cues to detect deceit. Can review text, in f2f game must rely on memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played more than my fair share.
The Resistance/Avalon, BSG, GoT, Zendo, 2R1B, Codenames, Mayday!Mayday!, Blood Bound, Mysterium, ONUWW, Werewolf and a bunch of other less known games or ones that I've forgotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there a general link explaining what it is and how it works to see if it would be of interest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it would be great to play Werewolf PBF, so about 10 years ago I joined a game with 20+ people who seemed to know each other well from previous games. It was a circus theme. People said they thought my username sounded like a clown, so I was the first one lynched. Have not played since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the old school nature of PbF. Played:

Reiner Knizia's Decathlon, To Court the King, LOT, Lines of Action, BattleCON: War of Indines to name the ones I can think of off the top of my head . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambersilk wrote:
Is there a general link explaining what it is and how it works to see if it would be of interest?

It varies from game to game, but basically you play the game by posting your turns, and the moderator / game master sends status updates. There may be tools that help keep the state like Vassal with a suitable game module. (Geekmail gets used in games where secret things happen between players and the moderator.)

Check the Play By Forum subforum of the game you're interested in to see if there are any games there, and check out how they do it.

Edit: you can also roll dice with the geekroller.. Even custom dice like in Imperial Assault.
Stormtrooper attack 1custom6{iid:2362500;iid:2362501;iid:2362502;iid:2362503;iid:2362504;iid:2362505}+1custom6{iid:2362491;iid:2362492;iid:2362493;iid:2362494;iid:2362495;iid:2362496}+1custom6{iid:2362482;iid:2362483;iid:2362483;iid:2362484;iid:2362484;iid:2362485} -> ( iid:2362502) + ( iid:2362493) + ( iid:2362483) -> (
)(
)(
) [+]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 813528. a1bert
  • 1custom6{iid:2362500;iid:2362501;iid:2362502;iid:2362503;iid:2362504;iid:2362505}+1custom6{iid:2362491;iid:2362492;iid:2362493;iid:2362494;iid:2362495;iid:2362496}+1custom6{iid:2362482;iid:2362483;iid:2362483;iid:2362484;iid:2362484;iid:2362485} =
  • ( iid:2362502) + ( iid:2362493) + ( iid:2362483) =
  • ( iid:2362502)( iid:2362493)( iid:2362483)
  • Stormtrooper attack
  • Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:18 pm
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I recently started playing my first play by forum games. Codenames seems perfectly set up for it and I have enjoyed a number of good games already.

We tried a few PBF's of Pax Porfiriana in 2012 and although it was a lot of work for the moderator of the game they were a blast. played two of them. On the Gamebox forums (not BGG sorry ) I'm playing a PBF of Lords of the Spanish Main
Syvanis wrote:

time.
both as a benefit and a drawback. you can do your move when you have the time for it and can play a game with poeple all around the world but this can mean that it can take some time to do whole turns when you have people in other timezones and cultures that have holidays that don't coincide with your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried Reiner Knizia's Decathlon and The One Ring Roleplaying Game.

Decathlon is well suited to online playing, as I feel long games are too vulnerable to player attrition the longer it takes. The One Ring was fun, but I think RPGs are a bit difficult as every player needs to be active simultaneously, more or less, although a good GM can speed things up and keep them going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Endeavor with the designer.

I'm currently playing Leaving Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played (and really love) Flash Point: Fire Rescue and Firefly.

Would be interested in others too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4) Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Firefly: The Game player and moderator for both.

5)
a) My local group doesn't play them enough and this way I can play.
b) Amazing people on bgg are neat to meet.
c) to learn the rules better by seeing other folks interpretations of hard to understand portions of the rules.
d) Given the hidden traitor aspect of BSG, my nervous chuckle and laughter aren't visible.
e) Learn a LOT about the game and strategies, not by reading them, but seeing them played thru.
f) Encountering different play styles.
g) Daily game fix, albeit a short one, and over a steady period. A pbf game can take a month or more.

Downsides:
h) It can take a month or more to finish a game
i) Other players may not sign on frequently enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes (once)

2. no applicable answer for me.

3. Maybe

4. Seven Sisters

5. I thought the Seven Sisters gameplay was fun, and kickstarted the game, but when it arrived my wife hated the theme and the art and I never got the physical copy played. So I traded it away. So I'm not saying I'll never do it again, but at this point I'd prefer face to face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried once and did not enjoy it. I didn't feel like I was playing a game. Felt more like a chore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
4) Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Firefly: The Game player and moderator for both.

I'm assuming you would suggest having played BSG at least once before trying a PBF game, right?

I've always wanted to play it but the few times I've had an opportunity (at a convention or something), something else has always been going on and I haven't been able to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played Don't Mess with Cthulhu, Watson & Holmes and playtested a new A.I. game.

I'm currently planning a Werewolves game with a group of current and former members of my local game group: several of them have moved away to different countries/far-off cities and all say they really miss our late night Werewolves sessions, so it will be a great way to feel like we are getting together again.

The good side of PBF is you can play with people you wouldn't get to play with otherwise, and for people like me in fairly remote places you can try games that are not available locally, without first needing to make the commitment of buying a physical copy of an unseen game. It's also great for playtesting, where the physical copy of the game may not even exist yet, and the designer had access to a global pool of playtesters.

I thought it would be less exciting not playing f2f, but in the right game, the excitement is definitely still there.

The downside is that all the fun of a game is leached out when people do not play regularly. This is bad in 'talky' games, but IMO is actually even worse in strategic games, where you have a strategy all planned and then have to wait days to implement it, and end up forgetting at least part of what you wanted to do, or read back and replan before each move. I've given up trying to win one of my current games and am now just going through the motions, wanting it to be over, because I'm no longer in the right mindspace after all the delays. I would quit, except I don't want to mess up the other reliable players and host.

From now on, unless I'm playtesting to help out, I will only PbF in games with 24-hour move limits. (Actually, 12 hours would be better for me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:

I'm assuming you would suggest having played BSG at least once before trying a PBF game, right?

I've always wanted to play it but the few times I've had an opportunity (at a convention or something), something else has always been going on and I haven't been able to.

I would always recommend face to face in person gaming before doing PBF. But it can be fun. And we have had "Cadet Cruises" of new players in BSG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.