Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
It says to gain one Rupee whenever a card with Leveraged is discarded. GAIN from where? The bank? Off the Market?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing it brings new money into the game, but just a guess.

I was interested under what conditions a leveraged card might be discarded... seems either dropping off the market, or being assassinated. Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that only being assasinated counts about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin S
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought in a Purge counted too (or an overthrow, if there are any leveraged political cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest gripe I have with these games is the rules. Man, they are so unintuitive to read. Maybe it's me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
And a correct guess. "Gain" brings money into the game. In essence when leveraged cards are discarded, 1 rupee is given to the player with the British Favor and the rest (if any) are discarded.

Quote:

I was interested under what conditions a leveraged card might be discarded... seems either dropping off the market, or being assassinated. Is that right?
Leveraged cards dropping of the market has no effect (since they were never in play to begin with). The most common way I see leveraged cards go is assassinations and end-of-turn discards due to the loss of political cards which cause your tableau size to decrease. Edwin is right about Purges too.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I may need to amend the glossary somewhat. The Leveraged discard ability only takes effect when the card is discarded from your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: I support the Terriers!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
senorcoo wrote:
The biggest gripe I have with these games is the rules. Man, they are so unintuitive to read. Maybe it's me.
Personally, I think the latest batch from Sierra Madre are a vast improvement on what has gone before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:

Leveraged cards dropping of the market has no effect (since they were never in play to begin with). The most common way I see leveraged cards go is assassinations and end-of-turn discards due to the loss of political cards which cause your tableau size to decrease. Edwin is right about Purges too.

I don't have the rules in front of me, but I may need to amend the glossary somewhat. The Leveraged discard ability only takes effect when the card is discarded from your tableau.
OK. The term in F1 (Cleanup/Automatic Discard p.20) for dropping off the market is 'discard', although in practice the only leveraged patriot card (ie which can be auto-discarded) that I can see is Russ-Persian trade, so it makes little difference anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: I support the Terriers!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
MrMT wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

OK. The term in F1 (Cleanup/Automatic Discard p.20) for dropping off the market is 'discard', although in practice the only leveraged patriot card (ie which can be auto-discarded) that I can see is Russ-Persian trade, so it makes little difference anyway...
But note 'discard' is also used to refer to discarding cards from hand, and the rule doesn't apply to that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
So for the British Favor, if another player DISCARDS a card from their hand, that has the Leveraged on it, I'd get the GAIN?

Yeah, FAVORS should have been in the Glossary, that was the first placed I looked and it wasn't there.

(Thanks for the help everyone!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
patton55 wrote:
So for the British Favor, if another player DISCARDS a card from their hand, that has the Leveraged on it, I'd get the GAIN?
No, the British Favor only applies to leveraged cards discarded from tableau, never from hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Nope. As per my comment, the Leveraged Impact's discard effect only occurs when cards are discarded from a player's tableau. I have updated the errata.

(And the living rules, when I get around to doing them up properly) will include a glossary entry on Favors )

Edit: ninja'd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you put a leveraged card in your hand due to a purge, do you have to pay for "losing" the leveraged card? In either case, if you then play the card later, do you get the money for the leveraged impact again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
sdiberar wrote:
If you put a leveraged card in your hand due to a purge, do you have to pay for "losing" the leveraged card?
No.

Quote:
In either case, if you then play the card later, do you get the money for the leveraged impact again?
Yes.

See Leveraged Impact (Discard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip starts here!Microbadge: Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire fanMicrobadge: Linux userMicrobadge: Soccer fan
In a purge, you are removing cards from your tableau, so a Leveraged card that is removed should result in returning money to the bank, I would think. So then the favor effect would apply in that situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
arjisme wrote:
In a purge, you are removing cards from your tableau, so a Leveraged card that is removed should result in returning money to the bank, I would think. So then the favor effect would apply in that situation.
It does if you discard the leveraged card, but not if you take it back into hand. See Cole's post in the thread I linked above for confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
patton55 wrote:
Nope. As per my comment, the Leveraged Impact's discard effect only occurs when cards are discarded from a player's tableau. I have updated the errata.

(And the living rules, when I get around to doing them up properly) will include a glossary entry on Favors )

Edit: ninja'd!
British Favor doesn't seem that great then. But then, I haven't played a full game yet--so it seems early on you wouldn't get much benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:

British Favor doesn't seem that great then. But then, I haven't played a full game yet--so it seems early on you wouldn't get much benefit.
I get the impression that none of the favour effects are that large. But in a tight money game, a coin here or there can be significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip starts here!Microbadge: Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire fanMicrobadge: Linux userMicrobadge: Soccer fan
qwertymartin wrote:
arjisme wrote:
It does if you discard the leveraged card, but not if you take it back into hand. See Cole's post in the thread I linked above for confirmation.
OK, thanks, I see that now.

I'm a little disappointed with that though. I really like the closed economy idea in this game and this appears to allow money to come in and then allow it to expand again without a compensating shrinkage possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
On the other hand, the Russian favor takes money out of the game (it gets discarded, not placed on the market).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Ah, this is helpful.

What is the 'overthrow' referred to in that thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
MrMT wrote:
If you eliminate a player's final tribe in a location, she must also discard a political card of that location from her tableau if she has one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
MrMT wrote:
If you eliminate a player's final tribe in a location, she must also discard a political card of that location from her tableau if she has one.
Aha - E.12, not E.11 then.

Cool, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
MrMT wrote:
And a correct guess. "Gain" brings money into the game. In essence when leveraged cards are discarded, 1 rupee is given to the player with the British Favor and the rest (if any) are discarded.
If the player discarding the Leveraged card cannot pay, he discards a Tableau card or returns a personal cube to his display.

If this happens, the holder of the British Favor still gets a rupee from the box (this from the Glossary).

I suppose that this means that the holder of the British Favor with no money can get a rupee from the box by discarding a Leveraged card, at a cost in cards or cubes equal to the discarded card's Rank.

That is, if he still has the British Favor after he discards that card ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls