Subject: Going Crazy for Level99Games #3: Pixel Tactics 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dungeon Twister fan
1, 2, 3… Pixel Tactics 3, here we go.

Following the success of the first two PT games (in my mind, at least), PT3 was obligatory. As one might expect, the game remains pretty much the same this time around, only with new heroes and leaders at your disposal. There are no new mechanics introduced in PT3; while PT2 introduced Ongoing Orders, PT3 maintains the status quo.

The difference, however, lies in the synergy found in your hero deck. Instead of having a collection of somewhat mismatched heroes and leaders in your deck, PT3’s seems to be tailor-made to give you the greatest possible tactical depth, making it the best yet if you don’t custom-build your own decks.

There are lots of passive abilities, virtually no overpowered Orders and generally more complex powers that let you do more if you can plan accordingly.

For example, the Calculator’s Flank Power reads: Forerunner has a bonus to Attack Strength equal to Supporter’s Attack Strength.
Another example, the General’s Vanguard power reads: Attack: If you have a supporter, perform a melee attack, then swap places with that supporter.

This makes for some interesting hero placement that requires forward thinking. Instead of relying on diminishing your opponent’s assets, PT3 seems more inclined to give you heroes that bolster your own unit.

Leaders, on the other hand, have a whole new set of interesting powers, altough some of them come with arguably OP abilities.
For example, Endrbyt: When you take a Draw action, you may draw from the opponent’s deck.

If you compare this version of Endrbyt to its BattleCon counterpart, you can see where the idea stems from. However, in PT, this is ridiculous, as you can (and WILL) always draw from your opponent’s deck with Endrbyt, forcing that opponent to play fast to kill you, or else you’ll empty their 20 cards draw deck and the game is pretty much over.

Another example is Wilhelm Barts: When an opponent declares that they will recruit a hero or play an order, they must select that card to play at random from their hand.

This power somewhat destroys the tactical aspect of the game for your opponent, as it forces him or her to play randomly. The solution to this is to ideally always keep only one card in hand, but that severely limits your opponent’s choices when you play that Leader.

All in all, however, Pixel Tactics 3 is the magnificent outcome of tinkering and deepening of an already very engaging game. Better synergy, less overkill, and still just as fun. If you’re looking to get into Pixel Tactics, I suggest starting with this one if you want the highest level of tactical play, although all three are just as valid choices. If you have PT1 and 2 already and are wondering if you should get this one, the answer is a resounding yes.

I can’t wait for what comes next. I’m still waiting for my copy of Deluxe/4-5-6, but when it arrives, rest assured that I will play them extensively and review them, too.

See you in the next PT games.

Final Score: A+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls