Dirk Gaertner
Germany
Steinhoering
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I'm enjoying my first play but I'm also a little confused by those two aspects:

11.4.3 D: Does this Air support only count when the Japanese attack an added to the US defense point value?

And

13.1 Attrition Points

If there's only a Pillbox defending in area 14 during a Us attack and the attack is resolved 14 vs. 12 for the US: 2 Attrition Points need to be removed. According to the distribution table I only spent 1 Point for result B and flip the pillbox to the reduced side. Correct?
Thanks!

Dirk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
11.4.3 D: Does this Air support only count when the Japanese attack an added to the US defense point value?

Correct - it is a Defense Value (DV) modifier.

If there's only a Pillbox defending in area 14 during a Us attack and the attack is resolved 14 vs. 12 for the US: 2 Attrition Points need to be removed. According to the distribution table I only spent 1 Point for result B and flip the pillbox to the reduced side. Correct?

Players must apply all Attrition Points. From 13.1: "exact losses must be applied whenever possible".

In your example the Pillbox would flip reduced for the first AP, and then would be eliminated for failure to retreat per rule 13.2.4.

I game terms you want to avoid this by keeping at least a weak IE unit with the Pillbox. The civilians die, the regulars in the Pillbox survive. It's a bit gruesome, but war is hell and that's pretty much what happened.

Michael Rinella
Designer, Last Battle: Ie Shima, 1945
Take Aim Designs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Gaertner
Germany
Steinhoering
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks for the fast help

It's a cool game, Michael!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Note that the situation you describe is unlikely - the dice have to produce exactly 2 AP. Many times the number of AP would flatten the Pillbox and one or two other units. So it's a bit of a decision for the Japanese player: do you want to try to survive the bombardment with at least one reduced unit, forcing the American player to assault and suffer attrition (or use up another valuable bombardment) or do you leave a single unit to its fate and defend more valuable territory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls