oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solitaire game
Entry https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1437092/2015-16-wargame...

OPERATION GUNNERSIDE (1944)
Sabotage of the Norsk Hydro Heavy Water plant in Norway.

Warning.
Just some preliminary brain storming. It seems to end up as dice rolling luck game.
Few decisions to make. Only very light brain burning stuff will be: adding recourses to modify dice rolls. Hopefully the game will tell a fascinating story. But it could end up as a dud, not worth playing.

General background. (Prewar)
Elite scientists did know the Einstein theory about nuclear energy and its potential power. 1 kg uranium could eradicate a large city. But it was long a way with testing and research to put this theory into a practical nuclear energy reaction device test bed. Germany was in the lead. But the best scientists (read Jewish) immigrated to USA. Only Nobel Prize winner Heidelberg stayed in Germany.
The war was getting hot. Who was in the lead? Nations could only spy and guess. Nothing was a safe bet. Losing this bet was not an option.

Background Norsk Hydro. (Hydro, Norway).
Vemork hydro electric power plant and Norsk Hydro is situated in a narrow mountain valley in Mid Norway, Telemark county, near the industrial based village of Rjukan. Norsk Hydro produced fertilizer (ammonia). Heavy water was just a bi product with little practical use.

Germany (and France) researched heavy water as a way to start a nuclear reaction, or at least used this approach in design. (US Manhattan Project used a different approach).

Both Germany and France bought heavy water from Norsk Hydro in the prewar period. Please note that the use was top secret. Norway was occupied in april 1940. Germany increased the heavy water production 5 times. And all was shipped to Heidelberg`s research center in Germany.

Allied just had to stop this at all cost – literally. Even the odds of Germany making an A-bomb was microscopic, the consequence was a hell on earth lasting for decades or hundreds of years.

In this game you must try to reduce the Heavy water production as much as possible.

Main mechanism will (probably) be a 3 stack of production cards. Cards semi –randomized and face down
1 stack minimum production
1 stack Medium production
1 stack normal production.

Of course your goal is to draw cards from minimum stack as much as possible.

4 main places on the board:
SOE center in England (Training and planning)
Camp Base Norway (a small hunter`s cabin in the Hardanger Plains close to Rjukan)
Vemork Norsk Hydro Plant – including Rjukan local community.
Sweden Holding Box. Saboteurs may escape to Sweden, and then back to SOE.

And maybe the ferry at Tinnsjø Lake.

Your (generic) pool of recourses.

First – let me introduce you to Leif Tronstad. A professor and lecturer at the University of Trondheim. He was an active member of the Norwegian Resistance. Gestapo was tracking him, but he was able to escape to England. His highest wish was to be parachuted back to Norway. Then SOE learned that he was the professor who designed and built the heavy water section at Norsk Hydro. No way SOE let him go back to Norway! You will probably find him stuck as a counter in England, but he will add some color to the game.

You will gain generic resources (cubes?) from:
SOE center team (mostly Leif Tronstad)
Camp Base Norway (most from the wireless operator).
More or less dormant undercover agents in the Rjukan village. They will report on German patrols and guards activity. Encourage Norsk Hydro workers to carry out some sabotage. (Spilling heavy water in the drain and adding soap to the heavy water.)

During play:
Workers will do some sabotage during the game. Dice rolls modified by resources. Heavy sabotage will increase German Alert Level. (Hope I find a balance here).

Escaped saboteurs must be transported from Sweden back to SOE. Upgrade personnel (Training). Guess it will be 9 personnel counters (Real names) representing the Grouse and Gunnerside Team.

Main events in the game:

OPERATION GROUSE.
A team will land at Base Camp. They will prepare a landing strip (using torches) for OPERATION FRESHMAN. (Dice roll for surviving parachute jump?)

OPERATION FRESHMAN. (October 1942)
A disaster. 41 commando soldiers in 2 Horsa gliders supposed to land near Base Camp, then attack the Vemork Plant while battle the German garrison in Rjukan. Without ski I cannot see how they could succeed. A suicide mission. German will probably score a lot of VP here. It was really bad weather this night. Halifax tugs could not find the landing strip, and was not able to release the gliders safely. Returning to England, the gliders iced down, and crashed. Only one Halifax returned safely.
Best result for you will be all aircraft return safely to England. (German 0 VP)
Worst case will be the historical result. Halifax and both gliders crash. Unfortunately with some survivors. They were tortured, interrogated and shot, not even spare those badly injured.

Camp Base evacuate.
German activity all time high near Rjukan. GROUSE members escaped and moved to a new hideaway as the German patrols the Rjukan area. Dice rolls for hunger and capture.

US authority was of course furious about the amateur FRESHMAN incident. Now they want to bomb the plant. Leif Tronstad managed to stop them.

OPERATION GUNNERSIDE.
Leif Tronstad point, was that only a small group of well trained personnel had a chance to succeed.
A mockup of the heavy water production site was built and personnel drilled.

This team was parachuted to the Camp Base, joining the GROUSE group. In short – this attack was a textbook success. They managed to enter the plant, destroying the inventory of 500kg heavy water, placing charges on all productions units; light the 30 sec fuses and run. They all escaped to Sweden on ski (14 day trip). No one killed, not even Germans.
And the factory was crippled for a long time. To match this historical result, you need a lot of resources to modify the dice result.

BOMB RAIDS.
Unfortunately, the production slowly rose to normal level.
US insisted to bomb the plant, as repeating the sabotage action was extremely difficult.

Heavy water production units were in the basement, covered by several heavy concrete floors above. The plant was also a hard to hit target, situated close to a steep mountain wall.
Not asking the Norwegian exile Government in London they still launched an attack.
143 B-17 bombers performed a massive raid, dropping 711 bombs (600 missed) on the factory.
Then 35 B-24 bombers attacked the hydro/electric power plant.
Again the production was crippled, but only due to the power plant damage. The Heavy Water site was intact, along with produced heavy water in stock. Raid did cost a lot of collateral damage and civilians killed.
You will be able to select the raid size. With heavier raid, the collateral damage will be higher, adding up German VP.

SINKING THE FERRY.
Knut Haukelid, a trained commando, hiding in Rjukan, was informed that the Germans was giving up the production in Norway –as they expected more bombing as production again raised. Germans loaded the rest of heavy water inventory into D/F Hydro ferry, along with dismantled production units. Knut Haukelid slipped into the ferry, placing the bomb with alarm clock timed detonators.

Along with civilians (Knut did not dare to warn civilians to not take the trip) – Hitler`s A-bomb Project dream ended -resting on bottom of the deep Tinnsjø Lake.
You must estimate the inventory in the ferry, as civilian casualties count as German VP. Simple –sinking the ferry attempt: yes or no?

END SCORING.

Now you reveal all production cards sent to Germany. Heidelberg and his team needed 50 ton* of heavy water to start a nuclear reaction in his reactor. More than 50 ton= German auto win, you lose.

25 ton was delivered*. This will be the German 0 VP point. Increased ton will gradually increase German VP.

Add this to German VP scoring during the game (Collateral damage, civilian killed, saboteurs captured…..).

A total German score will determine your final result. (Lose –Draw –Win)

*Historical fact.

Aftermath.
Leif Tronstad – did not meet his Norwegian wife and kid again. Finally he was able to parachute back to Norway in the final stage of war, joining the Resistance. He was killed in a shootout with a Norwegian Nazi.

As far as I know the only member of team still alive is the Leader Joachim Rønneberg -DSO- (b 1919). Still strong and clear minded. He is amazingly Clint Eastwood look alike today. A mirror of a tough guy?

Old BBC documentary (1973)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwbiRrVAJzw&list=PLRdZA1fhQT...

That`s it.
No promise that the game project will be finished –or even started.
But hope you enjoyed the read at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Looks like an interesting game. The German wonder weapons and atomic program are fascinating to read about. I also remember reading about the Israeli's getting their hands on some Norwegian uranium after the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of work subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good subject for a game. Best of luck with the design and development work. Don't give up. Perhaps some die rolling can be reduced by judicious use of a small deck of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to publish files a quick way?
I have registered the game in Misc Game Acces.

I have uploaded files here. But it probably will take ages to publish them.

WIP contest have short due dates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Files upload
(Thanks moderators for quick response)

I AM NOT WASTING TIME ON GRAPHICS AT THIS STAGE.

A lot of stuff is TBA. Consider them as empty drawers to be filled/changed/deleted. Just have to start somewhere...

EDIT:

NEW FILES FURTHER DOWN THIS THREAD! DO NOT USE THIS

Link
Rules

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/125087/gunnerside-rul...

Map

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/125084/gunnerside-map...

Time Track

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/125085/gunnerside-tim...

Various Tracks

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/125086/gunnerside-tra...

Have a look
Please comment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Just gave the rules a read through. I haven't read much about these operations before. Very interesting, The Germans had the most advanced rocket and jet engine tech of the war. The delivery systems were in place they just needed the bomb. I wonder if the German high command would have obeyed Hitler and started a nuclear exchange with the Allies.

Game-wise I don't know if I would be interested in trying to duplicate the historical operations and outcomes. Maybe you could tie in some of the other arms-race events,( V2 program, Flying wing "stealth bomber", etc.) into the time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reality I think Germans was not even close to delivery an A-bomb.

The bomb contraption ended up much heavier than planned. Even the B-29 was overloaded by the bomb.

Maybe a V2 with some solid rocket boosters could deliver the bomb to London?

That is why my Operation Gunnerside German game goal is to start a nuclear reaction. Nothing more. No doubt they was close. The reactor even caught fire once. But building the A-bomb and deliver it - is more close to science fiction, and outside the scope of this game.

Edit:
Deliver the Bomb could be an expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:

The bomb contraption ended up much heavier than planned. Even the B-29 was overloaded by the bomb.

That is why my Operation Gunnerside German game goal is to start a nuclear reaction. Nothing more. No doubt they was close. The reactor even caught fire once. But building the A-bomb and deliver it - is more close to science fiction, and outside the scope of this game.

Edit:
More likely Hitler would have wanted a nuclear powered super tank or some such nonsense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
kerpob2 wrote:
eker wrote:

Edit:
More likely Hitler would have wanted a nuclear powered super tank or some such nonsense!
Maybe, the whole point of the V2 program was to terrorize and intimidate the British people. It made almost no sense from a "military" perspective and failed to cripple the British war machine. If Vonbraun could have scaled up his rocket to handle the A bomb I think Hitler would have used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:
eker wrote:

Edit:
Maybe, the whole point of the V2 program was to terrorize and intimidate the British people. It made almost no sense from a "military" perspective and failed to cripple the British war machine. If Vonbraun could have scaled up his rocket to handle the A bomb I think Hitler would have used it.
No doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update.

The name will be changed to Operation Gunnerside `43.
1944 was the last heavy water operation in Norway with the ferry sabotage. Gunnerside occurred in 1943.

The SOE operations seems to be OK. Hope it is just minor adjustments,
The local sabotage does not work as intended. Have to go back to square one

The local sabotage is a separate game within the game. It add historical flavour and you can push your luck to make a better result if the SOE operations are less successful.

Now it is about rolling twice on a table for result - and then again on a table for German response. Dice roll modified by sabotage activity and alert level

Doing this a couple of times was exciting. but now it happens in every turn. Repetitive boring and production card consuming.

Re-design I have to check following options:

1. Simplify old concept, and let it happen less frequent.
2. Make a track (loop). Each time you pass "start" German gain production. Can be delayed with sabotage counters on track. "Move if die roll is 5-6" type.
3. Deck building. Draw cards for production. Insert "dud" cards for sabotage.
4. Abandon the whole idea of local sabotage.

Finally looking for inspiration. It is boring to start from scratch..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how you feel, I have totally gone back to the drawing boards with my own design and feel I'm struggling for inspiration. But, don't give up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
kerpob2 wrote:
I know how you feel, I have totally gone back to the drawing boards with my own design and feel I'm struggling for inspiration. But, don't give up!
Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys...

I really had to hit the emergency brakes now.
The rules are simplified. I really wanted some tough decisions on German Alert increase with local sabotage, but I had to start from scratch as it was dragging boring. I have a promising chit pull rules, but can not finish in time.

Now it is simplified down to a single die roll table with no impact on German alert.

Hope that there are nothing left from previous version in the rules. I have triple checked, but if you find some quirks and reference to something that does not exist, it is just some leftovers.

4 A4 maps and tracks that can be placed as it is on the table.
2 A4 sheet to be glued on cardboard and cut. Nothing difficult. Large square counters.

Add a fistful of cubes and a die - and you are ready to playtest further and have a good impression of what a finished game may look like.

Sorry I can not promise you an exiting experience - as the numbers are probably a qualified guess at the best.

But I can promise you a great wargame experience to learn about the Operation Gunnerside

EDIT - NEW LINK

Files here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ofbrrngcadhfif8/AABoftZfEESbxnkF7...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming this means it is competition ready!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Samardza

princess anne
Maryland
msg tools
how do I download this, the link takes me to the Dropbox login screen, and tells me that your folder doesn't exist. other Dropbox links have taken me to the file, yours doesn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope this is better - link to file

https://www.dropbox.com/home/gunnerside

EDIT - THIS DOES NOT WORK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I also get a login prompt from the latest link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another try:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ofbrrngcadhfif8/AABoftZfEESbxnkF7...

Thanks for notice and interest both of you.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that Time Track needs a revision, and end score numbers.

I really appreciate any comments on this. I like to do a major update, not some smaller ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, you won joint 3rd Prize for Best Small game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Garrett
msg tools
Wow! Are you still working on the game?

In your research did you come across a topographic map of the plant? Seems like this would make a great scenario for Black Ops or Bolt Action.

Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
bindslev
danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really-
A similar game is released by DG

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/286269/heroes-telemark-c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls