Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a rumour token misdirecting a hunter towards one location rather than another, but in practice, since all locations are face down, how does a rumour token achieve this?

I can't see how it offers enough information to distract a hunter from anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MrMT wrote:
I like the idea of a rumour token misdirecting a hunter towards one location rather than another, but in practice, since all locations are face down, how does a rumour token achieve this?

I can't see how it offers enough information to distract a hunter from anything...
It can only distract if they find the trail. Once they find the trail and there is a rumor token, then most likely the focus on trying to find the rumor token location (which is marching towards that 6th slot) instead of trying to find Dracula (who is at the most recent slot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
MrMT wrote:

It can only distract if they find the trail. Once they find the trail and there is a rumor token, then most likely the focus on trying to find the rumor token location (which is marching towards that 6th slot) instead of trying to find Dracula (who is at the most recent slot).
I guess so. So if they find two points on the trail, they head backwards rather than forwards? I can see the idea... I just wonder in practice whether it leads to significantly different behaviour.

From what I read, rumour tokens seem mostly like a mechanism to give Dracula an advantage with more experienced hunters, without a major impact on actual gameplay (and whilst maintaining the theme). But I still haven't played yet, so I will defer to those who have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was trying to work this out as well, but I think I can see a few ways it might help.

One way is as suggested, if the rumour is further back from the trail then it will cost them time to backtrack and search it, letting Dracula escape.

Another consideration is that it takes a search action to investigate. Plaing a rumour token on a particularly nasty encounter rather than a vampire will 1) potentially damage the hunter 2) waste an action which could have been used for something else.

What I'm not sure on is whether there is any part of this mechanism which benefits the hunters - at first I thought it did, but the more I find out about it the more it seems that's not the case. OK, it might suggest to them where vampires are hiding, as Dracula has incentive to put them there, but it also might not. Either way it seems like a fairly pure advantage as it's all entirely under Drac's control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
From what I read, rumour tokens seem mostly like a mechanism to give Dracula an advantage with more experienced hunters, without a major impact on actual gameplay (and whilst maintaining the theme). But I still haven't played yet, so I will defer to those who have.
It's an interesting question as far as gamePLAY, but there is definitely concerns that they have too much effect on games RESULTS = that +3 can be devastating if a vampire matures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
randiv wrote:
MrMT wrote:
It's an interesting question as far as gamePLAY, but there is definitely concerns that they have too much effect on games RESULTS = that +3 can be devastating if a vampire matures.
Yeah the good thing is they seem easily tweakable. There must be a useful balance to be found somewhere from 1 to 3 bonus points.

My main query is whether the hunters tend to have any realistic chance to deliberately pursue them, particularly if they are added early?

When I first heard them described I thought they revealed the location (would make thematic sense) so the Hunters immediately knew where to go. I now gather this isn't the case according to the rules, and can imagine this would render them of rather limited use to Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game can already take quite some time, I like the possibility of a plus 3. I have only managed to get one off the trail though, with an inexperienced group, I really think you are severely overestimating their value. In every game I played it was discovered and discarded quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
MrMT wrote:
It seemed to me using the Power cards was benefit enough. Perhaps it is just to keep the hunters solely from focusing on trapping and fighting Dracula. A little more incentive to actually search instead of running to the final battle, per se. Not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kaworu17 wrote:
The game can already take quite some time, I like the possibility of a plus 3. I have only managed to get one off the trail though, with an inexperienced group, I really think you are severely overestimating their value. In every game I played it was discovered and discarded quickly.
Not sure I understand - who are you replying to exactly? And what is being overvalued, the +3 points or their overall utility? Or just their utility as a distraction?

If a group are doing what you suggest and discovering them quickly, presumably by spending actions to preferentially search where there is a rumour, it seems that's the time to consider putting them on some other nasty event as a distraction, thus allowing hunters to waste actions searching only to find something that's entirely bad for them. Meanwhile the actual vampires are hopefully making their way off the track.

It seems to me this is how they are intended to work. Is that not correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
2 threads running in tandem on this same subject. I think the post I linke & quote here describes the potential of rumours well:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20904578#20904578

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls