Subject: Overlord Cheating? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Floyd Resler
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
When playing the Overlord I don't divulge the hit points of an enhanced master creature or my reinforcement locations. One particular group I was playing with thought this was cheating. They thought they should know how many hit points each creature has and where reinforcements will come in. I disagreed but played it that way in the next encounter.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
if you could be anything you wanted...
badge
i bet you'd be disappointed.
mb
All scenario knowledge is open to everyone, with the exception of the influence tokens introduced in the Shadows of Nerekhal campaign. So yes, they should know where the reinforcements spawn.

I don't remember if there is a specific rulebook entry for open knowledge regarding damage and whatnot, but for the most part everything in the game is open knowledge (except for the Overlord's hand). Even doing it your way, where you keep their current HP hidden, the players would still be able to figure out how many the monster has left. "Well, it starts with 8hp and I rolled 3 damage, so now it's at 5..."

Unless you're rolling defense dice in secret or something? Regardless, that's not how the game is intended to be played and would likely cause a great unbalance in the favor of the overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know how many hit points the heroes have?

All information is public unless explicitly stated otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's explicitly against the rules. Unless it's an Overlord card in your hand or your deck (or otherwise an excepted element, like randomized objective tokens or the unique search token), it's open info. Quest information in particular (what the monsters are, everything about the quest) is open to all players.

Not even sure how you're hiding the monster info since it's right there on the cards you're using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I'm not sure what is meant by "enhanced master creature" but it should be the same as any other monster (unless there are specific rules that apply).
emodiu5 wrote:
I don't remember if there is a specific rulebook entry for open knowledge regarding damage
As you say, everything is open.
Page 13, Deal Damage wrote:
The defending player tracks the damage by placing damage tokens on his
Hero sheet (in the case of heroes) or near the monster figure (in the
case of the overlord).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, all of this is open information and the heroes should know this. In fact, I believe you shouldn't start a quest without every player having read the complete quest rules.

Usually, I give the quest guide to the hero players so they can set up the scenario and read through the rules and everything while I am deciding what monster groups to use and what overlord deck to build. When we start playing, the guide often times switches hands for people to check stuff in they might have forgotten.

Also, all of your cards are openly displayed in front of you. There is no screen or anything provided in this game because there is nothing you have to hide from each other. The only thing secret are your overlord cards and certain quest specific things like objective tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Resler
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the input. Guess I was playing it too much like a DM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Garcia
msg tools
I play it like a DM my people enjoy it more. Its not cheating, dont listen to these lawyers of ther ule book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roobs wrote:
I play it like a DM my people enjoy it more. Its not cheating, dont listen to these lawyers of ther ule book
It's ok playing like a DM when all other players agree. But barring players from information that they *want* and in line with the *rules* is not. After all, his players wouldn't have accused him of cheating if they had enjoyed DM style OL-ing. Nothing to do with rules lawyering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Agree on whatever house rules you want, but if you go against what's in the written rules without agreeing on changes, you're cheating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fanMicrobadge: Clash of Cultures fan - I don't care what mood my cities are in!Microbadge: Raiders of the North Sea fanMicrobadge: He is Thundarr the Barbarian!
Its already hard enough for heroes against a good Overlord, this would just make it harder.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls