Chris O'Hara
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a group of three that will be playing through the campaign and we're planning on starting tonight, but we will also have a guest with us. Should we wait, or should we just let her play the 4th player?

I imagine what will happen is we will have 3 consistent players, and from time to time a random person will join us and be the 4th player. Is this a bad way to experience pandemic legacy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeymaniac99 wrote:
I have a group of three that will be playing through the campaign and we're planning on starting tonight, but we will also have a guest with us. Should we wait, or should we just let her play the 4th player?

I imagine what will happen is we will have 3 consistent players, and from time to time a random person will join us and be the 4th player. Is this a bad way to experience pandemic legacy?
I don't think it is, but you may find some of your "guests" suddenly want to show up more often to your evenings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for the initial stages of the game it will be fine. One of the other groups playing Pandemic here actually had 3 people be their 4th player, though their main 4th player played all but 4 games.

ARRGH!!!! I got Terranced and Philipped by a Canadian ninja !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it will be a problem for the 3 consistent players. Hopefully, you hook that 4th player too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O'Hara
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's all good to know! I'm glad the game still works well game-to-game with varying player numbers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
Microbadge: Rubber Ducky
Hmm. A related question has just occurred to me...

One minor potential problem occurs if the fourth player isn't as invested as the rest of you in the team's long-term prospects. But what if the fourth player was making an active attempt to sabotage you? An impromptu bioterrorist.

I wonder how much damage a player could do in one month if they really tried!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Peters
United States
Barberton
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually think that might be a great deal of fun.

Your guests will really have trouble getting up to speed in the late months. All the rule changes are great and totally organic if you're playing every month. If you were to play a one-off in September or something all the complexity could be overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cnp3 wrote:

Your guests will really have trouble getting up to speed in the late months. All the rule changes are great and totally organic if you're playing every month. If you were to play a one-off in September or something all the complexity could be overwhelming.
This is a good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Giant
United States
Douglas
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had someone jump in for one of the early games, and it all went well.

I'd say the important thing would be making sure the other player isn't someone who might want to play through Pandemic: Legacy with another group. If they just play a few games with you and then go to another game it would expose them to spoilers they might have wanted to only see in their primary game.

Kind of a complex answer there . . .

The game is great, and being hit by the surprises is 25% of the fun, and I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone who might want to get the full story experience in one go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls