Subject: Extra Units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon W
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to have during the game a construct, animal companion, zombie, and demon as long as you have the right combination of spells?

Cheers

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDW740 wrote:
Is it possible to have during the game a construct, animal companion, zombie, and demon as long as you have the right combination of spells?

Cheers

Simon
Yes. However, Raise Zombie is limited to one per Warband even though it is listed as "Spellcaster" in the spell description. So if the Wizard fails an out of game casting roll, the Apprentice can try. By the same token, Animal Companion has no such restriction, so the Witch can summon one and so can the Apprentice (they do take up soldier slots though).

Incidentally, the official Frostgrave forum is at Lead Adventures. The author Joseph A. McCullough posts there and answers question.

Good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for the response and pointer to the forum

Cheers

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my understanding with the right combo of things you can have up to 13 models in a war-band . what do the rule lawyers say ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
yosefbender wrote:
my understanding with the right combo of things you can have up to 13 models in a war-band . what do the rule lawyers say ?
Rather More than 13, now the Crow Master is two figures but only one Soldier. Plus Wraith Bottles.

Not counting Figures acquired in play you can have:

1 Wizard
1 Apprentice or Soldier
8 Soldiers

Plus
1 Soldier if you are based in an Inn
1 War Dog if you have a Kennel
1 Demon if you have a Summoning Circle.
1 Soldier can be a Crow Master plus Blood Crow per Rookery you have.

Not counting Blood Crows that's 13. If you had the money for Rookeries you could have 9 or 10 Crow Masters.

In Pregame Casting you can acquire
1 Illusionary Soldier, if you have Illusionary Soldier.
1 Raised Zombie, if you have Raise Zombie. If you have the Amulet of the ghoul King this is a Ghoul instead. If You have the Book of Bones itcan be an Armoured Skeleton.

In Play You can acquire
1 Imp if you have Imp
2 Demons. if you have Bind Demon or Possess, don't have a Demon and there is one to bind or someone to Possess. Or if you have Summon Demon.
2 Animals if you have Control Animal and two animals to control
2 Constructs if you have Control Construct and two Constructs to control
2 Undead if you have Control Undead and two Undead to control
1 Raised Zombie, If you have Raise Zombie and your Warband lacks one.
1 Wraith per Wraithbottle expended.

If you have Animal Companion up to two of your Soldiers can be Animal Companions.
If you have Animate Construct over time any number of your Soldiers can be Constructs.
If you have the Book of the Rangifer one of your Soldiers can be a Rangifer.
If you have Revenant over time any of your soldiers can become Revenants.

The Errata has a reference to a Demon in a Bottle Magic Item which may be the Genie in one of the missions. It doesn't count against warband or Bound Demon limits.

I make that a Maximum of 24 members before Blood Crows (Max +9, since replacing the Apprentice lowers the number of control spells available), Wraithbottles (Max +15 if you don't have any Pack Mules) and extra characters acquired temporarily in scenarios.

So in theory you could have

1 Wizard
1 Apprentice
9 Crow Masters
9 Blood Crows
1 Wardog
1 Demon
15 Wraiths (3 carried by the Wizard, 3 by the Apprentice and 9 by the Crow Masters)

Plus
2 pregame summons (Illiusionary Soldier and Raise Zombie product)

and the potential to add 8 more figures in game (1 Imp, 1 Demon, 2 Animals, 2 Constructs and 2 Undead)

For a total of 47 figures. or 65 if you replace all the Crow Masters and Crows with Pack Mules carrying 3 Wraith bottles each.

That would take 7 turns to get all of into play at a minimum. 3 for the Wraith Bottles and 4 for the necessary Control */Imp/Summon Demon spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:

15 Wraiths (3 carried by the Wizard, 3 by the Apprentice and 9 by the Crow Masters)
Slight correction. Crow Masters cannot carry items [pg 36, Thaw of the Lich Lord]. Still that's a lot of figures for a skirmish game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancestral Hamster wrote:
dahak wrote:

Slight correction. Crow Masters cannot carry items [pg 36, Thaw of the Lich Lord]. Still that's a lot of figures for a skirmish game.
Thanks, I missed that.

I can't actually see anyone using more than 1 or 2 Wraithbottles in a scenario, given they are one use and cost $200. Likewise Crow Masters aren't cheap.

And it is entirely possible the Rookery requirement is intended to restrict you to one Crow Master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Thanks, I missed that.

I can't actually see anyone using more than 1 or 2 Wraithbottles in a scenario, given they are one use and cost $200. Likewise Crow Masters aren't cheap.

And it is entirely possible the Rookery requirement is intended to restrict you to one Crow Master.
I had not thought of that, but you could be right. Even if you can take as many Crow Masters as you like, the start up cost of $200 each is a deterrent. Still, I would not mind having two Crow Masters in a warband. Paired warhounds are a useful monkey-wrench for isolated treasures that your opponent has only sent a single weak figure after. Paired Blood Crows would be even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls