5 Posts

Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers» Forums » General

Subject: Trying to decide which variant to buy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I would like to purchase one of the Carcassonne games, but am having trouble with which to purchase. I am looking at H&G, The Discovery, and the original (with expansions if it doesn't drain me financially). Which has the most replayability? Which do you like better and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Lippolis
Italy
Trieste
Friuli Venezia Giulia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an easy answer! I possess or at least tried all the Carcassone family games (actually the only one I do not have is Carcassonne The City and The Discovery). In my opinion Carcassonne H&G is better than the original since I find it more tactical, less luck driven and more balanced. So that would be my advice, but there are a few drawbacks. The first one is the number of players: I think that the original plays better with only 2 than H&G. So if you think it'll mostly be played by 2 people the original is better. Secondly, adding one or two expansions helps giving much variety and replayability to the game and H&G has no such thing apart from 5 extra tiles which IMHO are of no use. Should you decide for the original game, buy at least the first expansion (Carcassonne Inns & Cathedrals). Another good game in the line is The Ark of Covenant which is very good but, as for H&G, has non expansions.

Hope this will help

Marco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played H&G but I did a nice research before buying:

If you think you would want the game as they come to play with a range of number players then the options seem to be: H&G, Ark of the Covenant, Original and Discovery. The Original is apparently a little more confusing in scoring the farmers and Discovery supposedly has less intuitive rules (I believe, in the way scoring works). So, H&G and AotC seemed the best options. I chose H&G b/c of the theme and availability at my FLGS.

If you think you may want to expand the game, then I would just get the original and go from there.

For strictly 2 players, The Castle seems to be the go to game.

I think this is a win-win situation, you are going to have a ton of fun with any version you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this geeklist; it might help you. It doesn't say much about Discovery because at the time it was only released in German, but there's a lot of good information here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11437
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lippo wrote:
I think that the original plays better with only 2 than H&G. So if you think it'll mostly be played by 2 people the original is better.
I'll chime in and say that H&G plays just fine with 2. Also played just fine with my non-English-speaking non-gaming in-laws too!

As well as the huge amount of info in the Carc Research geeklist, various Carc variations popped up on the recent most-wife/girlfriends-mention list

1578 wives and girlfriends speak out...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19059

Carcassonne: The Castle 8% of comments mention wife/girlfriend
Carcassonne 7%
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers 5%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.