Subject: 5 Player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
There were four of us that turned up to the new Saturday Gamesoc, so after warming up with Coloretto while we waited for people I suggested Puerto Rico, since it plays best with 4, allegedly.

Two of the players were pretty new to board games so didn't really have any opinions one way or the other, and the other guy Colin was happy to play. I don't play a lot of PR, probably because it's a monster to teach. but I just felt in the mood that day for some reason.

So we get the game set up and I start explaining, then the president turns up. Rather than change game I just pull out a fifth mat and change the colonists, VPs, starting money, boats, add a prospector, indigo etc, etc. and go through the rules (I think I'm getting better at teaching it- focus on 1.The goods 2.How to get them 3.What to do with them 4.How to get points). The only tip I gave is beware of the craftsman.

They all pick up on it quickly and play fairly well. The seating order is Me, Colin (played before), Steve, President Mike and Rob. I start with settler and quary, Colin picks mayor, Steve builder, Mike and Rob both take prospectors.

I only make a small Indigo plant, trade it, and buy a cheap tobbacco storage with a builder and quarry, as my second building. From there I develop a large market, small warehouse, office, small sugar mill, factory (producing 3 tob, 1 ind, 1 sug, 1 corn by the end), and the large building that gives you +1VP for every 4 chips (I can never remember their names). On the last turn I buy a coffee roaster for their points. I only got 1 quarry. I think I played fairly well, but got screwed on the trader a couple of times but it wasn't really my fault. I finished second.

Colin made lots of tobbacco and indigo, but was to my left. He came 3rd, IIRC

Steve made lots of Indigo and a bit of sugar and corn. He came 4th, a bit below Colin.

Mike made Sugar, Corn then Coffee. He traded well and also shipped well causing some of the others to lose some goods (not me- I hada warehouse).

Rob made sugar, corn and indigo, but kept having to dump his stuff, so finished last.

In summary the game went down well, and most likely the others will want to play again. I'm especially looking forward to getting my revenge on Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.