Subject: Time Mechanic - Unsure About Speed of Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need some clarification on the time mechanic. We're not sure we're doing this right because it seems that the steps involved happen very quickly. I'm hoping I have misunderstood the rules.

This is only our second playthrough and we're still riddled with process questions. We think we have a grasp on things but the timing of the game seems to move too quick.

Here is how we understand it:
1. Players do their actions, moving and searching to find the icons for the sequence. Combat if needed.
2. Upkeep phase - Spawn horde with D6 and D4. Spread fire. Move Counter. Spawn Zombies. Zombification if needed.

If this is correct, I read this as having 5 rounds to find the sequences and get to the lab - essentially a race. We've been playing by sticking together, but it seems that that is not possible unless we get incredibly lucky and find the sequence tokens and unlock them right away.

Please help me understand. I really want to enjoy this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This can be a bit tricky to understand. What you are missing is the three sub steps that are under the (1) step on the tracker. The first time you add zombies, the second move the fire, only on the third time do you move the darkness marker. Each time time, you get to take your character actions after completing the rest of the tracker steps. This gives you 15 action steps assuming you don't do anything else to advance the darkness marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a gameplay video. I think it will be easier for you to understand if you see it in action.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big help! Thanks.

I was doing all the steps at once, essentially limiting us to 5 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we finished our play-through. We play this at work on lunch break, so maybe 25-40 minutes of gameplay per day. Couldn't make it to the laboratory in time, but we had a blast.

We were really unlucky in finding the right codes for the security sequence. At one point we had to decide on sacrificing one of our survivors who was entrapped and had the virus, but had the missing code we needed, or throw our grenade to save him, but lose one of the red tokens we needed to proceed. He had twelve zombies in his room with him at the end.

We opted to let him die to give us a chance. We never found a second red icon before time ran out.

We had a pretty hard room layout. We didn't realize it when we first started, but it became apparent quickly. Two of our sequence tokens were on one corner room, but we couldn't go the shortest route because of the missing red icon locking one of those doors. We tried searching the rooms leading that way with no luck, then had to double back around some rooms.

I still struggled with some icons in this game. I wish they had just opted for text for some of them as I had to keep referencing the manual and guides I downloaded from here (thanks BTW). I may opt to "fix" this myself at one point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you had fun. You can't win 'em all.

There is a mechanic in place where you can unlock a color at the terminal even if you don't have the colour in your inventory. To do so you must advance the Darkness Track one space to the right. Not sure it would have made a difference in your play but thought I might mention it.

Anyway, get back in the house and try again! and Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dermaestro wrote:
Big help! Thanks.

I was doing all the steps at once, essentially limiting us to 5 turns.
That was one of the major mistakes a lot of people were making. With the original rulebook it was extremely hard to work it out and I only knew the correct way because I had already been reading FAQ type questions on here before playing for the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls