Subject: Joe's Crab Shack trying no-tipping model rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Microbadge: Tonight's Forecast: Dark. Continued Dark tonight, turning to Partly Light in the morning. Microbadge: Trader Joe's fanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: University of California Irvine - ZOT!Microbadge: Platinum Folding@Home donator
sbszine wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Maybe because I usually want frequent drink refills, that's not really a priority for me. I'd much rather have a waiter who checks too often than not often enough.
Can you explain the drink refill thing a bit more? In a restaurant I'll typically get a bottle of wine and a bottle of mineral water on my table, and if the staff want to refill me that's nice, but I'm happy to pour it myself. Do they hold your wine bottle hostage in the US?
Non-alcoholic drinks, like tea or coffee, ice or hot, or soft drinks. They won't stay cold or hot long, so refills are usual. Some casual restaurants are self service, but many are not. Over a few hours of chatting, you need a lot of refills, especially since some drinks are mild diuretics.

And it depends on the glass size. Ice tea is usually served in about a 300ml glass, but sometimes a place uses smaller glasses. One place, they served me ice tea in something like a 100ml glass, maybe smaller. Since it was a full bar, I just asked the waiter to bring me a refill in a bigger glass.

WRT wine, some restaurants that make a point of high levels of service will pour out the initial glasses, then especially for chilled wines, put the bottle in a wine stand. The waiter will want to refill for you; it's part of the show. And then champagne brunches often have unlimited champagne; they don't leave the bottle on the table; this is good for coldness and carbonation.

Yes, this is rather opposite to Aussie values. The service is part of the experience you're buying. While this would be objectionable in Oz, it isn't in the US. The waiters don't feel oppressed--rather the reverse considering how much they make in such a restaurant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Microbadge: Project GIPF fanMicrobadge: "I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir."Microbadge: The owls are not what they seem...Microbadge: SpaceChem fanMicrobadge: Talisman fan
Tall_Walt wrote:
Non-alcoholic drinks, like tea or coffee, ice or hot, or soft drinks. They won't stay cold or hot long, so refills are usual. Some casual restaurants are self service, but many are not. Over a few hours of chatting, you need a lot of refills, especially since some drinks are mild diuretics.

And it depends on the glass size. Ice tea is usually served in about a 300ml glass, but sometimes a place uses smaller glasses. One place, they served me ice tea in something like a 100ml glass, maybe smaller. Since it was a full bar, I just asked the waiter to bring me a refill in a bigger glass.

WRT wine, some restaurants that make a point of high levels of service will pour out the initial glasses, then especially for chilled wines, put the bottle in a wine stand. The waiter will want to refill for you; it's part of the show. And then champagne brunches often have unlimited champagne; they don't leave the bottle on the table; this is good for coldness and carbonation.

Yes, this is rather opposite to Aussie values. The service is part of the experience you're buying. While this would be objectionable in Oz, it isn't in the US. The waiters don't feel oppressed--rather the reverse considering how much they make in such a restaurant.
Thanks, I get it now. I think there are two cultural disconnects going on here: 1) drinking more than one glass / cup of something that isn't booze or water with a meal (mind blown!), and 2) not having carafes and teapots. The wine culture here is that you pretty much always get an ice bucket for white wines, and you are more likely to get the wine poured if you buy it from the restaurant rather than bringing your own booze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
Microbadge: Project GIPF fanMicrobadge: "I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir."Microbadge: The owls are not what they seem...Microbadge: SpaceChem fanMicrobadge: Talisman fan
galad2003 wrote:
Beer is usually served by the glass too....
Is it at least a litre glass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Microbadge: PastafarianMicrobadge: Murder Mystery fanMicrobadge: Kubrick fanMicrobadge: Albert CamusMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)
I tip well and I don't discriminate. I find at restaurants in which tipping doesn't occur, service tends to be terrible. I personally would prefer we stick with the current tipping model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Utah Jazz fanMicrobadge: Slim Cessna's Auto Club fan - You'll never be as slim as SlimMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; give a man a goat, and RSP argues about it for 17 pages.Microbadge: The Mountain Goats fan
XanderF wrote:
lfisher wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Maybe because I usually want frequent drink refills, that's not really a priority for me. I'd much rather have a waiter who checks too often than not often enough.
Can you explain the drink refill thing a bit more? In a restaurant I'll typically get a bottle of wine and a bottle of mineral water on my table, and if the staff want to refill me that's nice, but I'm happy to pour it myself. Do they hold your wine bottle hostage in the US?
In the US many things are ordered by the glass, and especially soft drinks.
People go to restaurants and order soft drinks?

IN gods' names, WHY???

Mind = blown
I knew there was a reason God told me to never go into a restaurant. Now I know why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
Microbadge: Math GeekMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!Microbadge: VegetarianMicrobadge: R.E.M. fanMicrobadge: The Sandman fan
A couple of people have said that there is no tipping culture in the EU. This varies from country to country (sometimes quite a lot), but tipping is fairly standard in most European countries.

It is usually a much smaller percentage of the bill than in the US. Here in Belgium there is no tipping, generally, but 10% is usual in most other places I've lived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Herculean RPG UploaderMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: RPGGeek creationistMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: I am amongst the dangerous elite!
sbszine wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Thanks, I get it now. I think there are two cultural disconnects going on here: 1) drinking more than one glass / cup of something that isn't booze or water with a meal (mind blown!), and 2) not having carafes and teapots. The wine culture here is that you pretty much always get an ice bucket for white wines, and you are more likely to get the wine poured if you buy it from the restaurant rather than bringing your own booze.
Plus also the free refill culture is alien in Europe. Of course if you are drinking beer you will probably drink more than one glass but there is opportunity to ask when every course is brought up. So you could ask when ordering and get a beer, ask for another when your starter comes out, ask for another when your main comes out, and ask again when the dessert comes out. I would think that is a perfectly adequate supply of beer - especially as our pints are bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tonight's Forecast: Dark. Continued Dark tonight, turning to Partly Light in the morning. Microbadge: Trader Joe's fanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: University of California Irvine - ZOT!Microbadge: Platinum Folding@Home donator
sbszine wrote:
Carafes and teapots (and coffee pots) are used in low-end restaurants. I'd prefer a carafe of ice tea, myself, but it isn't done much outside of diners (bottom-end full-service restaurants); this is probably regional.

BYOB (bring your own bottle) is kind of rare. While a restaurant makes a little on food, they make far more on drinks. So, a soft drink is $2-3 (but with refills) and if they allow you to BYOB of wine, they'll charge a fee, usually $20 ("corkage", rarely free or $10); it's still cheaper than buying a restaurant bottle which is generally marked up as much as 500%.

The anti-drink-driving culture is very strong here (because you might drive a significant distance after the meal), so drinks tend to be served one standard amount of alcohol at a time. While a low alcohol beer might be served in half-liter glass (12-16 oz?), anything but a draft beer (here a standard low-end, low-alcohol brand) would be served by the bottle. Rarely, you'll see a draft Guinness or some such. Restaurants and bars who serve a drunk patron can be held liable in many states.

In restaurants will full alcohol service, the choice is so broad that getting a group of people to agree on a wine or a beer is difficult; by the glass just makes things easier (and it's typical that a $25 dollar bottle of wine will be sold at $10 a glass). Liquor or mixed (alcoholic) drinks are always served by the glass. It's not unusual for everyone at a table to be drinking something different--as common as everyone eating something different. Sharing a wine bottle is generally for couples eating leisurely, at least 2 hours being needed to metabolize the alcohol.

But, for example, getting a meal after gaming tends to be non-alcoholic.

I tend to look at the situation as portion control. I burn more than a drink an hour, so having multiple drinks isn't a problem over a long meal. But, many people have a strong one-drink-only ethos, or you don't drink unless you're on a date or at a party. But I live in a very conservative, law&order county, where you nearly always must drive home after a meal; culture in a dense city would be quite different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
badge
speculative and begging for drama
Microbadge: Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; give a man a goat, and RSP argues about it for 17 pages.Microbadge: PsychologistMicrobadge: The Resistance: Avalon fanMicrobadge: I'm genderqueer/nonbinary!Microbadge: Gold Folding@Home donator
sbszine wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

You can bring your own booze to a restaurant!?

Woah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
Terwox wrote:
At their option. I've only seen wine allowed. (People tend to be picky about wine, and restaurants tend to carry weird brands, or if you know the brand, there's that 500% markup.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Utah Jazz fanMicrobadge: Slim Cessna's Auto Club fan - You'll never be as slim as SlimMicrobadge: Latter-day SaintMicrobadge: Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; give a man a goat, and RSP argues about it for 17 pages.Microbadge: The Mountain Goats fan
Tall_Walt wrote:
Terwox wrote:
At their option. I've only seen wine allowed. (People tend to be picky about wine, and restaurants tend to carry weird brands, or if you know the brand, there's that 500% markup.)
But they'll still find a way to make money off you. They'll let you bring it but require that they open it and then charge you an "uncorking fee."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
GameCrossing wrote:
But they'll still find a way to make money off you. They'll let you bring it but require that they open it and then charge you an "uncorking fee."
Of course. It's a business. And they do have some costs, like the glasses, employees, and other equipment--just like a game store. If you don't want to pay fees, eat at home. But then you're still paying fees to your grocery store or farmer's market. Even if you eat all your meals from your apocalypse cans (ick!), you're still paying fees. TANSTAAFL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Risk Legacy fanMicrobadge: Empyreal: Spells & Steam fanMicrobadge: Yomi fanMicrobadge: Christian and LGBTQ or ally
aiabx wrote:
If the waitstaff are getting a living wage, I'm totally on board with a no-tipping model.
I am totally on board with this.

Though I will say, in the countries I've visited where tipping is not a thing, the waitstaff seemed disinterested in you, at best. The service wasn't bad, just very matter-of-fact. No pleasantries or so much as a smile. Which is fine, I can't stand small talk with strangers. But the lack of enthusiasm was palpable.

Also, my friends who are servers are REALLY GOOD at their job, and can easily clear $150-$200 in a single night. So while on slow shifts they will be making more money, their ceiling is much, much lower. So even at $13/hour they will be losing quite a bit of money.

I think $15/hour plus benefits would be fair, but I'm not sure many restaurants could afford that.

So I guess while I agree 100% in principle, my anecdotal experiences make it seem like a less-than-perfect solution, and one that the really good servers will dislike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
Microbadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: Amateur AstronomerMicrobadge: I am related to Monkeys!Microbadge: 'Come and see the violence inherent in the system!'Microbadge: I ride my bike everywhere!
Shampoo4you wrote:
aiabx wrote:
If the waitstaff are getting a living wage, I'm totally on board with a no-tipping model.

Though I will say, in the countries I've visited where tipping is not a thing, the waitstaff seemed disinterested in you, at best. The service wasn't bad, just very matter-of-fact. No pleasantries or so much as a smile. Which is fine, I can't stand small talk with strangers. But the lack of enthusiasm was palpable.

Also, my friends who are servers are REALLY GOOD at their job, and can easily clear $150-$200 in a single night. So while on slow shifts they will be making more money, their ceiling is much, much lower. So even at $13/hour they will be losing quite a bit of money.

I think $15/hour plus benefits would be fair, but I'm not sure many restaurants could afford that.

So I guess while I agree 100% in principle, my anecdotal experiences make it seem like a less-than-perfect solution, and one that the really good servers will dislike.
I think what it boils down to is that restaurants will need to boost prices by 15% or so to cover the higher wages for the waitstaff. There won't be any real savings for the consumer (except for big tippers), but workers will have more predictable income and maybe a bit more dignity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Risk Legacy fanMicrobadge: Empyreal: Spells & Steam fanMicrobadge: Yomi fanMicrobadge: Christian and LGBTQ or ally
aiabx wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
aiabx wrote:

I think what it boils down to is that restaurants will need to boost prices by 15% or so to cover the higher wages for the waitstaff. There won't be any real savings for the consumer (except for big tippers), but workers will have more predictable income and maybe a bit more dignity.
Oh yea I understand that, I just think when it all shakes out my friends who are exceptionally good at their job are still going to get somewhat screwed and the ones who just do the least amount of effort to not get fired will make equal pay. That's really how all jobs work, I suppose, so I guess it's just an unfortunate fact of life.

Maybe restaurants will get creative and implement a raise system based on how many good comment cards your customers leave or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tuba fanMicrobadge: RSP Dominionist (sympathizer)Microbadge: Taco de Mayo 2018 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!Microbadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Kiwanis
Terwox wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Woah.
Can you not? BYOB is pretty popular around here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tuba fanMicrobadge: RSP Dominionist (sympathizer)Microbadge: Taco de Mayo 2018 - I ate 31 tacos in 31 days!Microbadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Kiwanis
Shampoo4you wrote:
aiabx wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
aiabx wrote:

Oh yea I understand that, I just think when it all shakes out my friends who are exceptionally good at their job are still going to get somewhat screwed and the ones who just do the least amount of effort to not get fired will make equal pay. That's really how all jobs work, I suppose, so I guess it's just an unfortunate fact of life.

Maybe restaurants will get creative and implement a raise system based on how many good comment cards your customers leave or something.
There's no reason to think it has to be equal pay and good servers couldn't get a higher wage like every other job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Herculean RPG UploaderMicrobadge: Science Fiction fanMicrobadge: RPGGeek creationistMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: I am amongst the dangerous elite!
lfisher wrote:
Terwox wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Woah.
Can you not? BYOB is pretty popular around here.
I've only seen that at a few Indian restaurants (really run by Bangladeshis) which do not sell alcohol for religious reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Microbadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: VeganMicrobadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: Rifts® The Role-playing Game fan
There is a lot of stuff in this thread I never knew, but then again if I feel out of place in a restaurant because I am wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt, I'm probably not going there. I'm an elitist that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I bike after midnight
TheChin! wrote:
There is a lot of stuff in this thread I never knew, but then again if I feel out of place in a restaurant because I am wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt, I'm probably not going there. I'm an elitist that way.
not sure why a vegan would promote the decapitation of bats

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Compassion International supporterMicrobadge: X-Com fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift SystemMicrobadge: Legends of Andor fan
Maybe we could tip surgeons if our operation(s) went well and pay them less overall???

It would scary what might happen if we tipped Doctors though,, "hey thanks for the Vicodin you deserve a tip."

What areas could we pay them less and then tip them if our service was done well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
TheChin! wrote:
Yes, you are elitist. And insecure. If you're happy about the way you're dressed, why would anyone else's opinion matter? Australians are notorious for going everywhere in T-shirt, shorts, and sandals--even top of the line restaurants. You may feel social conventions limit you, but you limit yourself. Explore. You might find something you like.

Apologies for the bluntness, but it bugs me when people keep themselves in tiny little boxes. Your choice, of course; but make sure it's a choice, not something you're doing because you're "supposed" to. "Guidance is internal."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
JustinT1 wrote:
Maybe we could tip surgeons if our operation(s) went well and pay them less overall???

It would scary what might happen if we tipped Doctors though,, "hey thanks for the Vicodin you deserve a tip."

What areas could we pay them less and then tip them if our service was done well?
One of the ACA health care reforms is paying hospitals depending on outcomes instead of procedures. This has some negative effects since they didn't think to compensate for age and health of the patients, but the idea is sound: "Your appendix removed without infection or your money back."

Vicodin...doctors hand that out like candy. Never mind treating the underlying condition, give 'em drugs.

A lot of cultures have a bribe-for-service system. Especially government employees aren't paid enough, so if you want them to actually do their job, you have to bribe them. I'm not sure when this got (mostly) extinguished in Anglo-Saxon culture; it was alive and well a couple hundred years ago, though I think the bribes were more customary (a monetary "please") than significant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: VeganMicrobadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: Rifts® The Role-playing Game fan
Tall_Walt wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Yes, you are elitist. And insecure. If you're happy about the way you're dressed, why would anyone else's opinion matter? Australians are notorious for going everywhere in T-shirt, shorts, and sandals--even top of the line restaurants. You may feel social conventions limit you, but you limit yourself. Explore. You might find something you like.

Apologies for the bluntness, but it bugs me when people keep themselves in tiny little boxes. Your choice, of course; but make sure it's a choice, not something you're doing because you're "supposed" to. "Guidance is internal."
Yeah, it would be nice to live in the South of Australia where it is cooler.

It's not that I keep myself in a tiny little box, it's that I have already lived a life where I have experienced and rejected much of the pablum and shallowness that others cultivate for appearance sake. As I get older, my life vehicle gets more streamlined and focused as I experience things and judge them extraneous, trivial and of low value-to-time-investment. Likewise, my apologies for being blunt, it's not the opinions of the other patrons that drive me out, it's largely my opinion of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
single sentences wrote:

not sure why a vegan would promote the decapitation of bats
Ozzy is one small part of the whole, which is bigger and better than him... and sometimes without him.

As the legend goes, a dead bat was thrown on stage and he bit the head off. Not sure if he swallowed it or if the bat was purposefully killed for the event, so the actual animal welfare/rights aspect of it is murky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |