Popular Tags: [View All]
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
Microbadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: Star Fleet Battles fanMicrobadge: VeganMicrobadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: Rifts® The Role-playing Game fan
TheChin! wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Yes, you are elitist. And insecure. If you're happy about the way you're dressed, why would anyone else's opinion matter? Australians are notorious for going everywhere in T-shirt, shorts, and sandals--even top of the line restaurants. You may feel social conventions limit you, but you limit yourself. Explore. You might find something you like.

Apologies for the bluntness, but it bugs me when people keep themselves in tiny little boxes. Your choice, of course; but make sure it's a choice, not something you're doing because you're "supposed" to. "Guidance is internal."
Yeah, it would be nice to live in the South of Australia where it is cooler.

It's not that I keep myself in a tiny little box, it's that I have already lived a life where I have experienced and rejected much of the pablum and shallowness that others cultivate for appearance sake. As I get older, my life vehicle gets more streamlined and focused as I experience things and judge them extraneous, trivial and of low value-to-time-investment. Likewise, my apologies for being blunt, it's not the opinions of the other patrons that drive me out, it's largely my opinion of them.
Further, there are people who dress outside of the acceptable mainline in order to get attention. I don't want attention when I go out. I want to be ignored, I don't want to be stared at. If I were the insecure type who needs attention, even negative, I'd go to to high end restauraunts in cutoffs, boots and a metal t-shirt and glare at people looking at me. What kind of meal is that? Or I could get a polo shirt, slacks and penny loafers and sit uncomfortable and eat. Or I could go to a restaurant where everyone minds their own business and I eat in peace. I'll choose the third option and leave the hipsters to their own dramas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Microbadge: Tonight's Forecast: Dark. Continued Dark tonight, turning to Partly Light in the morning. Microbadge: Trader Joe's fanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: University of California Irvine - ZOT!Microbadge: Platinum Folding@Home donator
TheChin! wrote:
Yeah, it would be nice to live in the South of Australia where it is cooler.
Yeah, not so much, at least in Sydney. Maybe in Tasmania? Or coastal California, of course.

TheChin! wrote:
...the pablum and shallowness that others cultivate for appearance sake. As I get older, my life vehicle gets more streamlined and focused as I experience things and judge them extraneous, trivial and of low value-to-time-investment. ...
To be sure, some people are as you say. A friend acknowledged that she put far too much value on what something costs. And for everyone who does it for chichi, a bunch do it for, "Look how much hot sauce I can eat!"

Still, in Australia's Murray Valley, I had some fifteen year old Chardonnay that was to die for. I didn't even know fifteen year old Chard was possible. I've never tasted better. It was free, as was all the wine I tasted that trip. (It's usually cheaper buying through discount retail channels than from the manufacturer, a phenomenon gamers are familiar with.) In any case, by no means all people do it for appearance's sake, any more that many people buy the latest games just so they can show off; some like trying the new mechanics (or rearrangement thereof).

I'm totally with you on streamlining and time-to-value. Like, the time-to-value of scuba diving: hours of prep and cleanup for maybe half an hour of good diving. Or skiing, or a bunch of other things. Still, ya gotta eat....

TheChin! wrote:
Further, there are people who dress outside of the acceptable mainline in order to get attention. I don't want attention when I go out. I want to be ignored, I don't want to be stared at. ...
So, as so many people on BGG, you're an introvert. Being stared at doesn't make you secure, it makes you insecure. Me, too.

But I fight it. What's life worth if you don't live it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game Fan
The politically correct bullshit about how people shouldn't be paid more just because their customers like the service they provide better, drives me nuts. So I have an instinctive defense of tipping and resistance to abolishing tipping.

But, as someone said, Japan offers great service with no tipping. France offers terrible service with no tipping. I see little correlation between service quality and tipping. Given some of the abuses and problems with tipping (including things like the disparity between compensation for servers and those who work in the kitchen), I am coming around to the idea of no tipping as a model in restaurants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game Fan
TheChin! wrote:
Further, there are people who dress outside of the acceptable mainline in order to get attention. I don't want attention when I go out. I want to be ignored, I don't want to be stared at. If I were the insecure type who needs attention, even negative, I'd go to to high end restauraunts in cutoffs, boots and a metal t-shirt and glare at people looking at me.
I dress how I feel comfortable and I couldn't care less who is or isn't looking at me. I'm pretty sure that the people who conform to some sort of dress code that they don't even like just because they are worried that people might look at them, are the ones who make up the insecure type.

One of the good things about living in California is that you can go to pretty much any restaurant you like dressed however you want and no one cares. So that's the best arrangement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  |