William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I bought the Hernfar Gardians expansion last monday at a local game store. I opened it and then got really pissed. Not one, but THREE units were just thrown in there in pieces. A Citadel Guard was missing his shield, including the arm, which was broken off but still in the bag, and two Citadel Lancers were present in pieces as well. One had both his head with cape and lance broken off, and the other was headless and capeless as well. All pieces that were broken off were in the bag, but they are to thin to glue.

I come at this store frequently to buy games and to see if something new is in stock. It's the only specialized gamestore nearby. Very often, at least it seems, I buy something that has a production flaw, damaged rulebooks, cuts in boxes which I only feel with the seal off, or missing cards, tokens or pieces.

Really, I can get really angry at people who sell me stuff that repetitively has something that is faulty:
- I buy Battlestar Galactica. Nothing seems wrong, until I pull the seal off, take a look inside (opening figure and card bags) and then want to put it on the shelf. I start feeling some rough edges on the bottom of the box. There is a big cut in the box which I couldn't feel with the seal on.
- Next time I visit the store. I want to buy Legendary Ecounters, but I didn't because I saw the box had a bump at the top of the cover. Do they send it back as a faulty product? NOOOO! After I showed it to them, they just put it back on their shelf for sale. I've seen more of such examples before. They just try to sell it, sometimes even without a discount with the wrong guys behind the desk.
- The next time, again it's bulls eye. I buy the new Dutch expansion for Jambo. They pretty much garantee me that it is entirely new. I come home, read the backside of the box and open the box, but I don't open the card packs, because I realize something is familiar here. I pick my two old expansions for Jambo of the shelf and compare the cards with the contents of the expansion I just bought. I just doubled my supply of the same expansion with a bunch of useless cards.
- Next day I go back to the store to exchange the expansion for Jambo I bought for the Hernfar Guardians expansion for Battlelore 2nd Edition. The result: 3 miniatures that are delivered in pieces that can not be glued, not to mention that the blister box is not expendable at all.

The execution of policy here in the Netherlands is not as pro-client as it used to be, or should be for that matter, which possibly makes it difficult to trade this expansion. Even if I can, I'm already going to be concerned what kind or how much broken crap I get back for it this time. They don't give you back your money for it; they only accept trades with something else. What if I want to stick with the internet because of this? Now I'm forced to spend it on another faulty product which I may have to bring back after discovering its mess after I come home.

It's ridiculous that I feel forced to buy my stuff from webshops that sell outside the Netherlands. Yes, also Dutch webshops have weird ways of doing business with their clients; the same way as described above. If I want to be more certain to get a good product, or a good service and policy for trading back faulty products, I'll have to pay 10-15 euros extra to get it done, because those shops are in the UK, Belgium or Germany. Most of the games I recently bought came from GamesQuest, an English webshop that sells via eBay. They do a good job every time.

But sometimes I want to keep a heart of goodness to try the local game store sometimes as well. But the first time I'm showing my good will to try, it goes wrong again. That pisses me off. 45 euros for a faulty expansion which I probably can't trade. Why does it always have to happen to ME? And why does it have to seem so obvious that sellers from outside the Netherlands check and ship all of their products with so much care, while these lazy, sloppy, bugging Dutch (...) keep their customers for fools all the time. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

Sorry for the harsh looking text, guys, but I can get very angry about things like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
I haven't had as many problems as you - but I've only got the base set and just received Heralds of Dreadfall. The plastic nubs to connect the undead dragon thing were both broken. I didn't realize the one was until I attached it and it just snapped right off inside the model. Sucks On chat with Amazon now about it - but I really don't want to have to send it back. May just have to glue it. We'll see.

But I was unimpressed that those two pieces were clearly defective. I could tell the second was broken when I looked at it, and it just snapped in half with barely any pressure. Too bad I didn't see it until I'd put the first in the model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is gamestore in my town called the Guard Tower. I went there to buy a copy of Mage Knight Board Game. I told them that I was concerned that there would be broken components, missing pieces etc.

They let me open the game up right there and then and assured me they would fix any problems with the store's copy. My copy turned out to be OK and I went on my way.

Go back to your flgs. Be honest. Tell them that you want to do business with them, but for whatever reason, their products are consistently damaged. If they will allow you to open the game up right then and there, and make good any problems with the product, you'll continue doing business with them.

If they won't, thank them for their time, walk out peacefully and don't ever go back again.

We can always buy games other ways than the flgs. If they're too arrogant to see that, than they deserve to go belly up. If they go out of their way to serve you well, they deserve your business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) you're basically in the wrong forum. This has very little to do with the game. You could ask a mod to move it.

2) Just glue it. If you actually can't, figure out whatever representative you're supposed to contact for ffg in your country. They are very good about replacing faulty things.

3) As far as boxes with bumps or dings on them . . . stores sell that kind of stuff all the time. You might be too picky for it, but their margins are probably too small to discount things like that. Sounds like it might be costing them sales from you, but they might be able to live with that.

4) It sounds like they're pretty nice to you anyway, so I wouldn't get too upset. But you can do whatever you want.

5) While there might technically be laws in place that require them to take back product with broken bits in it, it's way easier for ffg to just fix it themselves. Imagine how expensive boardgames would get if you had to exchange huge boxes of stuff through the entire retail chain every time a plastic mini broke . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
these broken pieces are not too thin to glue. Use ULU glue, which dries clear and flexible. I had 4 broken Citadel Guard 'arms' as you did, and they are all fine now after a bit a gluing. Don't get pissed so easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact FFG on their website via broken/missing pieces in customer service. They'll send you replacements free of charge.

FFG has fantastic service. I've needed replacements for broken figs (new out of box) for Battlelore and Imp Assault... I received replacements within just a couple days from them. Quick and easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I wouldn't mind if a store sells faulty stuff a few times now and then. But this is beginning to look more like they want to just get rid of their stuff and gain a good amount of money for it, just to get money, than minding about their customers.

They won't let me open the box before I paid for it. That's how it works here. This blister box that the expansion comes with makes it even worse. Cut it open and it can't be sold again, and exchanging it for "just a few broken pieces" is not what they do that easily.

I don't think that sellers from outside my country can check this one before selling it, but they can with their other games that are put in cardboard boxes before sealing them. They're mostly selling and shipping with much care; at least I can tell from the results. If they can, then the Dutch ones can too. But they always have this 'Well, we'll see what comes of it'-attitude. I'm a Dutchman myself, but I want to see people believe that I'm keeping my promises as much as I can, with as much garantee as I can, and without screwing over someone for my own personal gain.

I'll try to ask FFG for replacements, but a customer should be able to count on sellers nearby instead of on those on the other side of the world. Shame on them that I have to pay the extra shipping costs for the same thing to get a proper product from outside the Netherlands; from conpanies like GamesQuest mostly. The Netherlands may not be a real gamers country like the US is, but that's no excuse for these kinds of situations. And if I get something faulty, then they shouldn't hide themselves behind their policies that much, because that's a sign they're just in it for the money and nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, initially sought replacement parts for the arm-less Citadel Knights. But the game store wanted some photos as proof of damage, which is not unreasonable. However, once they asked for that, it sounded like a month-long+ process for replacement was in the works.

So, I went for the gluing and it worked out fine, although I was skeptical as well, because it did not seem there was much surface contact. It's difficult to notice the gluing at all and believe me I am no expert at it.

Your dissatisfaction with your game store is understandable but are you sure they are the only game in town? I've bought from some Dutch sellers (I live in the UK) who seem to market their games mostly here on BGG. Yes there is the trans-channel shipping cost but a lot less than trans-Atlantic and no tarriff issues. There are some decent stores in the UK you could try.

I'd stop paying your guys the money if they are that stand-offish. good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snotwalker wrote:
Contact FFG on their website via broken/missing pieces in customer service. They'll send you replacements free of charge.

FFG has fantastic service. I've needed replacements for broken figs (new out of box) for Battlelore and Imp Assault... I received replacements within just a couple days from them. Quick and easy.

FFG are really good at customer service and sent two new Citadel lancers to me in the UK. They will send out to you in mainland Europe.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fonstad
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I third what Dave and Snotwalker wrote. I needed to get two Citadel Lancers replaced as well (broken cape and broken horse tail), filled out the form on the FFG website and received mine in the mail a couple weeks later (customs in Canada can take a while).

I understand how frustrating it can be if you receive damaged goods over and over rom the same store, but the Citadel Lancer problem is clearly Fantasy Flights fault not your FLGS's. It took longer than I had anticipated, but I certainly got my replacement parts in fine shape...just primed them today.

Hope you get it sorted.

Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried to get replacement parts from a retail store - they don't have them. Go directly to the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had to glue a few of my FFG miniatures when I bought the blue army expansion (the new cavalry guys, one or two of them lost a hand and spear). Used some krazy glue, good as new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I'm not able to see well enough to fix the problem with any glue. I'm pretty much a new player in this specific miniatures war game genre, and the people around me can't even be categorized as gamers. Most of them hate to play board games or doesn't play any other games than Yahtzee/Yatzy or Crazy Eights-like card games. Neither they nor I can glue the small parts. In my case, not all parts do fit in their original positions, like one Citadel Lancer's arm holding the lance.

Do I need to send the faulty miniatures to Fantasy Flight Games to prove the need for replacements? And (for another game) what is their treatment in case of game boxes (just the box, nothing else)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you email them with photos that should be enough. They have sent me replacement minis for Middle-earth Quest because the ones I had were bent to hell and didn't respond to water treatment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Moo Cow wrote:
I haven't had as many problems as you - but I've only got the base set and just received Heralds of Dreadfall. The plastic nubs to connect the undead dragon thing were both broken. I didn't realize the one was until I attached it and it just snapped right off inside the model. Sucks On chat with Amazon now about it - but I really don't want to have to send it back. May just have to glue it. We'll see.

But I was unimpressed that those two pieces were clearly defective. I could tell the second was broken when I looked at it, and it just snapped in half with barely any pressure. Too bad I didn't see it until I'd put the first in the model.

Exact same thing happened to my undead dragon. I had to take a tiny screw and drill it into the broken plastic piece to pull it out. The 2nd one i was much more careful putting it on and as soon as i put the clear stick on the base it split in 2. Sent a request to FFG and they sent me a new set. FFG customer service is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
There is some good news for me. I contacted FFG's customer service yesterday with a request for replacements. They just answered. It seems I don't even need to upload a photograph. They'll be "more than happy to help me with the request for replacements", as they said, free of charge.

I just hope nothing goes wrong with the shipment. I also hope I don't have to wait for a long time. It's actually the first time I got something sent to me from outside Europe. And the Dutch postal system isn't always fast, especially with packages. It doesn't take much less time for a national shipment than for an international one (that is from European countries, including the UK).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
They are pretty good with that. You don't have to worry.
For future reference, just use this site if you have troubles with defective components of FFG: parts.fantasyflightgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hamhock DeShabado
msg tools
mbmb
Just a quick note this new packaging system from FFG is in part to help store owners cut down on shoplifting.

Why are such few components is such a big package: so it cant be shoved into a pocket.

Why is it completely sealed?: so key components cant be removed from the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a problem with a larger figure having an arm totally missing and I found fantasy flight to be excellent for after sales service, the seller had a replacement sent to him within a week and then contacted me to collect it.
I would have been quite happy to contact FFG myself but the seller (jammydevilgames) offered to do it all for me even though it was obviously not his fault at all.
A little extra on the part of the seller can go a long way and I now get most of my games from him so my advice to you would be to find a seller who may occasionally be more helpful than he needs to be a stick with them but don't abuse it.
Glue works fine provided you have the parts even on the fine areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Does anyone know how much time it takes for an item from FFG to be delivered in Western Europe? I did the request for the minis on November 12th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this thread reminds me why I prefer CCN and CCA so much. Blocks are easier to store and dont have small parts to break off. Minis are cool to look at, but as here can sometimes be a pain. Yes, my knights had broken arms too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
My figures in this back has some broken pieces too...the shield and the head cape. FFG required a photo...but they replaced them. It did take a few weeks for them to send it though, but they did without any issue.

I have all the expansions and this was the only one damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
England
Newcastle under lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
Does anyone know how much time it takes for an item from FFG to be delivered in Western Europe? I did the request for the minis on November 12th.

I'm guessing I'm a bit late to answer but it took less than 2 weeks for my dealer to receive the missing part from FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.