Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry DeYoung
United States
Export
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently wrote a post asking for some help with suggestions for a Christmas gift for my brother. Everyone was so incredibly helpful!

Of the three games that I asked about--The Voyages of Marco Polo, The Staufer Dynasty, and Keyflower--the general consensus seemed to be that The Voyages of Marco Polo was the most likely to succeed, given my brother's taste in games.

Now I have a follow-up question: Between The Voyages of Marco Polo and Lancaster, which would you recommend for my brother?

To give you some background, some of my brother's favorite games are:
Istanbul
Tikal
Finca
Seeland
Il Vecchio
Modern Art
Ra
Splendor
The Palaces of Carrara
Firenze
The Castles of Burgundy
7 Wonders
Airlines Europe
The Pillars of the Earth
World Without End
Ticket to Ride
The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet
Around the World in 80 Days
Goldland

Some that have fallen flat are:
Fresco
Torres
Expedition: Northwest Passage
Taj Mahal

In the past, he has also said that he enjoys games with friendly, but not nasty, player interaction.

Thanks in advance for your advice on choosing between The Voyages of Marco Polo and Lancaster! (I'm also open to suggestions of alternatives, if you have something in mind that might match his tastes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster has nasty player interaction because you can bump players off spaces they really need or want. Both games are good, but I think Marco Polo is a little friendlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also go with Marco Polo. Not only can Lancaster have very unfriendly player interaction, Marco Polo also offers a ton more replayability due to the different characters. I do have both in my collection and like both, but Marco Polo is my favorite of those two. Lancaster became too repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
Both great games. Marco Polo is a little better at the low player count, whereas Lancaster shines with more players (and supports 5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BOTH! totally worth it and two completely different awesome games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't a big fan of Lancaster at 2p. The game probably gets better with more players and a few more plays though. Marco Polo is a great game at all player counts and is the safest recommendation imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As your brother likes Euro games and Marco Polo was the new Euro hotness of last year, you can't be wrong with this one. He also likes Burgundy with the dice. It's also the newer game. Haven't played it, yet.

On the other side I really like Lancaster, it's interactive, relativly short, mechanics are relativly thematic (sending your knights to war, using squires for support). While it's no really nasty backstabbing, I'm not sure if he'd like the aggressive parts (on first view I don't really see games with aggressive parts in your list, maybe a bit in Tikal, but it is more present in Lancaster).

Both games are big, appealing boxes - so I think both are a good gift for a gamer, while Marco Polo might be the safer choice for your brother. (on the other hand Lancaster might perhaps be the one that adds more)

kelendil wrote:
I wasn't a big fan of Lancaster at 2p. The game probably gets better with more players and a few more plays though.
2 players should be a bit too empty, while 5 players is pretty crowded. The sweet spot is 3 and 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster with Lancaster: Henry V – The Power of the King is superb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls