Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am solicating opinions on what is the best graphic design software for a WINDOWS machine out there for under say $250? And what about a Mac?

I would like to have the abiilty to draw a MAP and a few other gaming related things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kämmen mein schnurrbart
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head:

Inkscape
Campaign Cartographer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the penny pincher that I am, I would say to go with InkScape. A great tool, for free!

Good Luck!
Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Campaign Cartographer.

What I use is Corel Draw, and I use CC as the source for most of my on-board graphics (textures, buildings, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Martin
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xara is quite decent and very cheap. Windows only at the moment, not Mac, although they're working on an open source version that will run on the Mac when it's done, according to their master plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also look at Scribus and Paint.net, which are both free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GIMP is a free, vector-based software package that is similar to photoshop. I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
LankyEngineer wrote:
GIMP is a free, vector-based software package that is similar to photoshop. I like it.

I think you mean raster not vector. GIMP's vector support is limited (and anyway Photoshop is a raster, not a vector program -- thats Illustrator).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Henderson
Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Paint Shop Pro - particularly ver. 7, which you should be able to pick up for $20 or so. It is a raster-based program but has some reasonable vector graphics capabilities too. Ver. 7 comes with ver. 3 of the Alienskin EyeCandy filters thrown in. Check out my map-making tutorial at http://cryhavocgames.net/Tutorials_Utilities.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking into this subject a bit lately and also found that Digital Alchemy also does Cartograph and Adventure Writer.

http://www.digital-alchemy.net/index.html

I still think Campaign Cartographer 3 has more features, but it all depends how far you want your tool to go and how much you are willing to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anyone try Photoshop Elements? I'm pretty comfortable in regular, overpriced, Photoshop and, if Elements is not some super gimped (no pun intended) version then I'd recommend that.

I'd try it out myslef but it seems like the money grubbers at Adobe don't have a trial version on their site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.