Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SO I haven't played the expansion yet and its been a while since I played the base.

I already have my 1st edition replaced with the upgrade pack.

I see in the expansion I got extra dice and lots more damage and movement tokens. Are these double? Do they get added? Space in the box is tight so I am trying to see what exactly I need.

I am a bit confused with all my components :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can mix the new dice with the rest, but the extra cubes only get added when playing the expansion because it adds extra techs (the cubes represent a limited resource). The expansion nearly doubles the number of ships available so there are extra damage and movement tokens included. A lot of people I've noticed are doing away with the movement tokens and using the 'Drive Power Movement' rules instead which saves on both space in the box and time at the table.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can I find the drive power movement rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this teacher's page.
badge
Microbadge: I practice Random Acts of KindnessMicrobadge: Pay it ForwardMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: I Pay it Forward FirstMicrobadge: 4G fan. Win a free game of your choice!
LORDs_diakonos wrote:
Where can I find the drive power movement rules?
They are in the expansion rule book.

Essentially, all ships have movement points equal to their drive strength (1, 2, or 3). In reverse turn order, players take turns moving their ships, one movement point at a time, until all ships have been moved by all players.

Drive Power Movement makes the movement during the Conquest Stage open tactical movement instead of hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the thoughts here regarding strategy and such?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: I practice Random Acts of KindnessMicrobadge: Pay it ForwardMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: I Pay it Forward FirstMicrobadge: 4G fan. Win a free game of your choice!
Personally, I have used Drive Power Movement since before the expansion was released. I really like the tactical decisions which now affect movement. Rather than blindly guessing where to go (if you wish to attack someone or avoid a combat), you have a chance to react to other players' movement when deciding where to go. As an added benefit, this gave a welcome boost to turn order for the whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tesser
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about all of the cards? Do they all just mix together I am a bit confused with them also. I have the Kickstarter stuff in addition to everything else.
Residence cards political do they all just get lumped together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Yes, all cards of the same type are shuffled together! Please note that some cards in the Upgrade Pack completely replace cards from the 1st edition. Additionally, there may be cards that came with the expansion which do not apply if you play using just the base game (such as Political cards which make reference to Combat cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 1st Edition + Upgrade Pack + edge of extinction. I must me missing something, because no cards came with my upgrade pack. So I have the very small politics cards trying to combine with the larger EoE politic cards. And then the other cards are larger than the ones that came with EoE.

At this point I'm considering trashing the game instead of spending more money on a revised edition, when the Upgrade Pack was suppose to do that. Also printing cards isn't something I want to do with a game I Paid money for.

So unless I got a dud Upgrade Pack, I don't find that the expansion works with 1st edition and upgrade pack due to the card size differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls