Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Tierney
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am not understanding something...

We just played a 4 player game. In one round, we flipped up 4 "Kitty cards" and two of them required the same "Cat Box" card.

Both players immediately started searching the face down "Cat Box" cards trying to find the required cat.

There is no way for the player who doesn't find the "Cat Box" card to finish their puzzle. The best they can hope to do is score 0 points.

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This shouldn't happen. There are 8 different cats in the boxes and there are also 8 level 2 (with two different backs) and 8 level 3 cards using each a different cat. As said in the rules you should only use one of two sets of level two cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tierney
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That makes sense, except we were playing with the variant of shuffling all the pattern cards together. (We had a younger player and I wanted to increase the odds of an easy card being available each round.)

I think if this happens again for whatever reason we will just let the second player use any available "cat box" card to try and finish. It seems like the best solution to ensure everyone keeps working on their pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simcha Kuritzky
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm just starting this game and I'm confused about the cat boxes. If the image on the card is a cat box card, what are the blank box cards used for? At first I thought you took a cat cube and placed it on the blank box card to make the figure on the kitty card, but then there would be no use for the cat box cards. I see from the video and your reply that only the cat box cards are used for rounds 2 and 3, so that raises the question why are there blank box cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I DON'T play with red!Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Fan of Ludica Pizzeria & Game Room, Vancouver, CanadaMicrobadge: Dirk Henn fan
happylion wrote:
I'm just starting this game and I'm confused about the cat boxes. If the image on the card is a cat box card, what are the blank box cards used for? At first I thought you took a cat cube and placed it on the blank box card to make the figure on the kitty card, but then there would be no use for the cat box cards. I see from the video and your reply that only the cat box cards are used for rounds 2 and 3, so that raises the question why are there blank box cards?
There are two things that could be called "blank box cards". The first are the cards everone starts a round with, that show a (different) empty box on either side. Every kitty card shows one tile to put on that card, separate from the main "structure", as part of the solution.

The other are the kitty box cards, which show a kitten (or chihuahua) on one side and an empty box on the other. For these, the empty box image can just be considered as the back of the card. At the start of the round, you mix these up and place them face-down (empty box side up). Higher levels require you to find a particular cat-in-a-box by taking cards one at a time and flipping them to find the one matching your kitty card. You then add them to your solution, where the kitten on the card stands in for the cat-in-a-box in the image of the solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
Microbadge: Minions fanMicrobadge: Futurama fanMicrobadge: Don't blink.Microbadge: DEATH RAY!Microbadge: Masters of the Universe fan - Tri-Klops
booned wrote:
happylion wrote:
There are two things that could be called "blank box cards". The first are the cards everone starts a round with, that show a (different) empty box on either side. Every kitty card shows one tile to put on that card, separate from the main "structure", as part of the solution.

The other are the kitty box cards, which show a kitten (or chihuahua) on one side and an empty box on the other. For these, the empty box image can just be considered as the back of the card. At the start of the round, you mix these up and place them face-down (empty box side up). Higher levels require you to find a particular cat-in-a-box by taking cards one at a time and flipping them to find the one matching your kitty card. You then add them to your solution, where the kitten on the card stands in for the cat-in-a-box in the image of the solution.
Thanks! I didn't not get any of that from the rulebook, but it all makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
It sounds to me after reading this that the game designer/rules writer did not take into account the issue the original poster described when creating the variant rule of mixing all the cards together.

The variant says you can shuffle all the different level cards together, but it sounds like if you do that, the possibility arises that 2 players could end up needing the same "cat box" card. If this happens, one player will not be able to complete their puzzle, as the OP found. Since the rules do not leave any explanation of how to deal with this, I would say that variation is broken and should be avoided, and only play with the cards separated. That, or do what was suggested and allow the use of any other card as a substitution when this happens. But then that makes it that much easier for the other player once the first player finds the card because then the other player can just grab any card. I'd just avoid the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I contacted Renegade and asked about what to do in this situation as the OP described. Here's their response:

"I would suggest that in this case the player that found the cat box card first will be the only one to complete the puzzle, and if completed properly will be the one to earn the points."

So there's the "official" way to deal with this case. The first one to find the cat box card gets to complete their puzzle. The other player can't complete their puzzle and just stops.

Of course that doesn't sound very fun at all - so once the first player finds the card, the other player immediately stops and just sits there and waits for the first player to complete their puzzle? Even worse in the 2-player game, because there's only 2 players, meaning the first player to find the card will be the only one assembling the puzzle while the other player sits there and stares off into space.

As I said, I think the best thing is to just not ever play that variant. It sounds like the variant did not consider this scenario and therefore it is rather broken imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls