Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe your army comes and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched numerous reviews of the various Viking themed games that are all the buzz right now. I don't deny that Blood Rage looks to be very special and no doubt the best of them. However, I really don't have a group meetup. My location and schedule really only allows time for me to play with my wife and two daughters (11 & 13).

They've come a long way in hobby gaming, but I doubt they would be able to grasp some of the deeper strategies in Blood Rage. Though, I'd enjoy greatly, I'm starting to lean more toward Champions of Midgard if I want something with this theme. I think it would be easier for them to grasp, plus, with the added randomness of the dice in combat, I think it would even the playing field more.

I'm really torn though, as Blood Rage appears to be something really special. Not that Champions isn't. Most reviews though put it just behind Blood Rage. With my budget and space, having both is not an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy today and can confirm, even after only two plays, that at least two-player games are easily decided by a few experienced vs. non-experienced decisions. The game can still be a lot of fun even when you are losing but... well, it probably won't be a typical family game in which everyone feels like they have a chance, if that is what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having played champions of migard I would say that it would be well suited to the younger players. It's pure worker placement where you use the dice to resolve combat. They might find raiders of the north sea a little difficult to grasp, and blood rage is all about killing each other really. If they would like that then go with blood rage, if not then champions of midgard is a good choice. Personally, I'm getting the lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a number of games of Raiders of the North Sea and don't think 11 & 13 year olds would have any difficulties grasping it. The gameplay is easy to pick up and they'd enjoy it, the plunder and the crew you end up with changes every game so there's plenty of replayability. Best of all (in my opinion) combat is not determined by dice rolls so you can develop a strategy which you can complete (as long as other players don't stop you) rather than due to luck.

Actually the best bit is that the price is in Kiwi sheckels so it's super cheap!

I am looking forward to Blood Rage hitting the table this weekend though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fanMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Mage Wars FanMicrobadge: Two cocktails are better than oneMicrobadge: Solitaire Gamer
My pledge came in today. My jaw dropped after I saw the miniatures in person. The detail is beyond incredible. On par and in many cases better than the best resin miniatures produced by Forge World.

I suggest you get it, and get the full set with the kickstarter addons. It is so incredibly cool.

I am in a similar situation. I really only game solo or with my 3 daughters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started learning my copy of Blood Rage last night. So far, without referring to the strategy forum here, it seems fairly opaque. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I am expecting to hear a lot of "I don't even know what I'm supposed to do" when I teach it, and until players learn the obvious synergies in the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Blood Rage is all about knowing what the cards do and how they work together. Letting someone get all of the Loki cards is also a recipe for a one-sided beating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakaku, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
...but I am expecting to hear a lot of "I don't even know what I'm supposed to do" when I teach it,...
Then you shouldn't leave that part out when you teach it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After you win Blood Rage, you can use the miniatures with the Song of Blades and Heroes miniatures skirmish game so they can seek vengeance and wrath.

http://miksminis.blogspot.com/2011/04/song-of-blades-with-fi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
...but I am expecting to hear a lot of "I don't even know what I'm supposed to do" when I teach it,...
Then you shouldn't leave that part out when you teach it.
I don't think it's that easy. Of course you can tell new players what the goal is and what they can do to reach it. BUT if you play this game the first time against people who played it before, you have pretty much zero chance of winning. Not because you don't know the goal but simply because you don't know all the cards and you easily misunderstand their power. In this respect, I feel like the game is really unfriendly to new players.

Just as an example, we got a 3-player game in tonight: 2 players who played it before and 1 new guy. The new guy and I had a lot of fun in the beginning and we fought over a couple of provinces. The 3rd guy pretty much leaned back and waited for a couple of our warriors to die. This gave him the chance not only to have more figures on the board later in the age but also to start the 2nd age with most figures. He immediately pillaged Yggrasil then and used his numerical power to join other battles as well. Needless to say, the new guy and I had no chance to ever come back from there. By the end, the 3rd guy won with a margin of 50-100 points.

Edit: In hindsight, I guess it would have been my responsibility to keep the other experienced player in check, so that the new player can develop his clan and get a better feel for the game. However, the fact that this seems necessary already tells you a lot about how steep the initial learning curve is. Of course, other games have that as well but I feel like it usually is less extreme as there often are ways to come back. Not so in Blood Rage: if you start the second age with 6-7 rage, while other have 9-10, you will likely stay behind no matter what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls