Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question came up in play today. Does a roll on the IFT to resolve a residual fire attack trigger the sniper on a roll matching the SAN?

We did not see anything indicating it did not and played it as such, but wanted to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Barkley

Valley Center
California
msg tools
mb
Short answer is yes.

Snipers activate in PFPh, MPh, DFPh and AFPh on TH, MC, TC, non-OBA IFT or entrenching DRs. (A14.1)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce (敏敦) Ostrander
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Question came up in play today. Does a roll on the IFT to resolve a residual fire attack trigger the sniper on a roll matching the SAN?

We did not see anything indicating it did not and played it as such, but wanted to check.
A player is subject to Sniper attack during any PFPh, MPh, DFPh or AFPh whenever he makes a TH, MC, TC, non-OBA IFT, or Entrenching, Original DR [EXC: those made for Prisoners] equal to the enemy SAN. Any such DR that can yield no game result other than a SAN is not made [EXC: the DR required for an attack negated by blocked LOS (A.06.1.1) is made].

Your roll that activated the Sniper (when you rolled the Sniper Activation Number [SAN]) was a non-Off Board Artillery (OBA) attack on the Infantry Fire Table (IFT) during Defensive First Fire in the Movement Phase (MPh).

The rule specifically covers it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question came up for us a long time ago. We thought of residual firepower as a neutral dice roll. As in neither player was rolling it. We were corrected that the person who placed the residual firepower marker rolls the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
The question came up for us a long time ago. We thought of residual firepower as a neutral dice roll. As in neither player was rolling it. We were corrected that the person who placed the residual firepower marker rolls the dice.
We played it correctly, it just feels odd since residual counters are often fairly small #s that by placing them, you're opening yourself up to large numbers of sniper checks for what are often fairly poor shots. Shots that I often wouldn't take if I could choose.

Not a huge deal or anything, and in this particular case I would have taken every one of those shots since they were FFMO/FFNAM shots. When you're looking at -2, even a 1 or 2 FP shot can be pretty scary.

The odd feeling just meant I wanted to double check how we played it, and it was confirmed we got it right. SO thanks to all the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
We played it correctly, it just feels odd since residual counters are often fairly small #s that by placing them, you're opening yourself up to large numbers of sniper checks for what are often fairly poor shots. Shots that I often wouldn't take if I could choose.
Just one more of all the decision one has to make in ASL - "do I take a DFF attack vs the stone building, leaving only a 2 RFP?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
keethrax wrote:
Just one more of all the decision one has to make in ASL - "do I take a DFF attack vs the stone building, leaving only a 2 RFP?"
And that right there is why it's not a huge deal taken form teh other side of my example.

My example: even a 1-2 RFP is probably worth eating the sniper check for shots likely to be getting -2 to the rolls.

Klas' example: If you're down to shooting at a stone building with anything that's going to leave only 2 RFP you're already in trouble

The same logic scales pretty well between those two extremes.

Either way, the presence or absence of the sniper check for Residual attacks isn't likely to shift a decision point by much in all but a very limited set of circumstances.

In the particular case that spawned this question, I am playing a fairly new opponent via VASL. His move into my Residual FP triggered a sniper. He correctly fired off a sniper roll (rolling a 1 while he was at it). I concurred with his move, but since it felt a bit odd wanted to make sure I wasn't reinforcing a mis-interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
Klas' example: If you're down to shooting at a stone building with anything that's going to leave only 2 RFP you're already in trouble
If someone is moving a juicy enough target and give me an 4 +2 attack in a stone building, I migth consider taking that shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
keethrax wrote:
If someone is moving a juicy enough target and give me an 4 +2 attack in a stone building, I migth consider taking that shot.
You are correct, of course. Allow me to rephrase that:

If you're relying on that 4FP shot into a stone building, you're already in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls