Hide
8 Posts

Fire in the Lake» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ambush from locs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave vv
msg tools
Insurgents have the option of ambushing from a LOC, and if the selected space for the ambush is a loc, they can instead remove the piece from an adjacent space.

Playing both of the insurgents as bots, I've never seen an space selected for an ambush to be a loc.

RULES:
"Ambush first from locs including into adjacent spaces where possible".

The attack space, following the diagram, is never a LOC but many times the space in which the attack takes place is adjacent to a LOC.
Does this mean that the underground guerrilla that needs to be present to make the ambush can be one in an adjacent LOC even when the attack does not take place in the LOC itself where the guerrilla is or the attack space need to be a LOC so the ambush then can take place in an adjacent space?

Very confusing! but perhaps it is me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not completely sure what is being asked but I may be able to help.

Select a space for ambush. Then if there is an underground guerrilla on an adjacent LoC, use that guerrilla to conduct the ambush. I haven't used the non-player rules for a bit, but that is what I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tamtam0069 wrote:
The attack space, following the diagram, is never a LOC but many times the space in which the attack takes place is adjacent to a LOC.
Does this mean that the underground guerrilla that needs to be present to make the ambush can be one in an adjacent LOC even when the attack does not take place in the LOC itself...
An Attack or Ambush always takes place in the space where the Attacking or Ambushing pieces are located.

If an Ambush space is a LoC, you may remove the target enemy piece from a space that is adjacent to the Ambush space instead of removing it from the Ambush space itself.

The bot instructions tell you to select Ambush spaces in such a way that the Ambushes can remove specific types of enemy pieces. It doesn't say that the target enemy pieces have to be located in the Ambush spaces.

Also, note this part of the official errata:
Quote:
Page 9 – 4.4.3 Ambush ROAD/RIVER. Clarification: A LoC with an Underground NVA Guerrilla may be chosen for Attack with Ambush to remove an adjacent enemy whether or not that LoC has an enemy.
Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave vv
msg tools
It is confusing to me because as an ambush can only happen in an space selected for attack, the loc itself is never the one selected for attack but many times an adjacent space to the loc is selected for an attack, so the problem is whether or not the ambush can be selected in a LOC NOT SELECTED for attack but adjacent to an space selected for attack.

The errata clarifies that it can, so big thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tamtam0069 wrote:
It is confusing to me because as an ambush can only happen in an space selected for attack, the loc itself is never the one selected for attack
Stop. Exactly which part of the bot instructions gave you the impression that LoCs are never selected as Attack or Ambush spaces?

In the original post, you quoted a bot instruction that explicitly says that VCbot does select LoCs as Ambush spaces, so I don't quite understand why you think it doesn't...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To reiterate: When you select a LoC as the Ambush space, that Ambush may remove an enemy piece from another, adjacent space that is not the selected Ambush space.

The bot instructions tell you to select Ambush spaces in such a way that those Ambushes can remove the prioritized types of enemy pieces, either from the Ambush spaces themselves or - if the Ambush space is a LoC - from an adjacent target space.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave vv
msg tools
Yep the errata clarifies my question.

I meant that I havent seen a loc space selected for an attack, not that it cant be. I suppose it can happen but if the insurgents are bots I dont think it can but anyways the problem is solved so thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, then I see.

In my experience it is fairly common for VCbot to Ambush from LoCs when it Attacks at all - though it doesn't Attack very often, preferring Rally and Terror.

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls