Subject: Expand Arkham Horror or buy Eldritch Horror? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I'm just kind of seeking opinions here to help me make up my mind.
I own Arkham Horror and enjoy it, but on the last couple of plays it's felt a little routine and not too challenging.
So I thought I would buy an expansion; Dunwich horror seems to be the sensible first choice.

However, I'm struggling to find a copy of it at a sensible price and I'm wondering should I just buy Eldritch Horror and go with that (and expand it), as it's easier to get hold of, and from what I've seen, a little sharper in play.

I certainly don't want to get both AH and EH and all expansions.

Basically, what would you do in my position? Cut your loses with AH and go for EH? Or stick with your original investment?

I've seen plenty of reviews for EH so I'm aware of the similarities and differences between them.
And I'm really worried this may start an argument, please let's not fight.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly they are very different games in a lot of ways. I have not felt the urge to expand EH like I did with AH.

AH gets much better with DH added, it has more variety and some interesting mechanisms.

The best value (if you think you would enjoy both games) would honestly be buying a base set of EH. That is the most variety and you can then decide what you want to expand in the future.

Even if you go for DH in the future, you will most likely not regret owning EH for a change of pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EH basically killed AH for me. The unwieldliness of AH when expanded is too much for me. EH is streamlined and gets rid of a good bit of fiddliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was originally enthralled by EH and was thinking that it might replace Arkham for me. We played it a few times and we do enjoy it, but I have come to see they are really very different games.

Eldritch is a Bird's Eye view game that you see the world as a whole. The Ancient One has a real presence in the game referenced a number of times through card set up and the missions you attempt to complete. Things are more smooth than Arkham. Specifically, buying things and you always know "what you should be doing" and how you can do that.

Arkham is down and dirty and detailed. You are stuck in this town and the world is going down. You are fighting those creatures and everything seems dire and more involved. The story of Arkham is much more detailed. I feel a part of a story. Each time you play you are going to get a widely different story that is told. Sometimes this comes up as being a bit random.

Many consider Eldritch to be a replacement for Arkham. I consider it a different game set in the same world with overlap between mechanics. To me Arkham horror is a story telling game where winning and losing are just about the same amount of fun. I feel invested in my character more like a role playing game. Eldritch seems more like a puzzle that the team is trying to solve together. My character is less important and more like a set of skills I use to beat the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Batesmates wrote:
Basically, what would you do in my position? Cut your loses with AH and go for EH? Or stick with your original investment?
In your position I'd stick with AH. But then AH is my only "10"

On the other hand, if you want my recommendation, I'd go find somebody with a copy of EH and get a play and see if you prefer it to AH. For me, the decision comes down to whether I prefer an immersive story-telling game with RPG-like elements, or a board game of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Cthulhu". I like both. I prefer Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expand AH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biased opinion is to further expand Arkham Horror. I love that game for what it is, and what most see as "flaws" of it when they describe love for Eldritch, I just love it more.

However, they're very different, I just prefer AH.

And you're likely right, it will start an argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H.
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
mb

I own both games, and I prefer to play Arkham horror. I recently bought the Dunwich Horror expansion (for more than I care to admit), and I think it is a great starting expansion.

HOWEVER, Eldritch Horror hits the table a lot more often with me because that's the game my friends prefer to play.
So the decision really comes down to -> who are you playing with? If you're playing with a game group or friends, what do you think THEY would prefer?
Would they want to make AH more complicated (an intersting, imo) with an expansion, or would they want a less complicated game, like EH?

If you're playing solo, I assume you're in it for the story, so expanding AH might be better.

But I still like the advice someone else said about getting EH now and then deciding which to expand after you've experienced both. It'll make future decisions easier. If you expand AH now, the next time you're ready for an expansion you'll have the same thought about expanding AH further or buying EH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I had a similar experience with AH. I bought the Innsmouth Horror expansion rather than Dunwich, and it solved all the problems I had, which sound like what you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need an expansion for Eldritch Horror pretty soon, too. Encounters tend to repeat themselves a lot with just the base game.

I'd get an Arkham expansion first, since you're already familiar with the game. The smaller expansions are pretty cheap nowadays, and they add a lot. Of course I recommend Innsmouth Horror because I'm insane- it was my first big expansion to AH and it's still my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the cost is a challenge, you could always try a few of the fan based expansions here. I am fairly partial to the expansions I have published but I think the Door to Saturn by Corinthian is the best fan expansion that has been published to date.

https://sites.google.com/site/doortosaturn/

Jacob Busby's Lovecraft County is pretty cool (at a minimum print out the terror track cards)
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/827692/lovecraft-country-ho...

My expansions (biggest to smallest)

South Seas Tales:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1407233/fan-created-expansi...

The Rats in the Walls
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1262127/fan-made-expansion-...

The Horror at Red Hook
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1204791/horror-red-hook-lat...

The Lurking Fear
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1180036/lurking-fear-mini-e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcie Dobyns
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that you'll get radically different answers if you as in the EH forums.

That said, I've played both, but vastly prefer AH (I traded away my copy of EH). The theme didn't feel as integrated to me in EH where you're traversing the world instead of fighting in the mean streets of Arkham. There was more text-y bits, but even there you have expansions to pick up. EH just felt like an attempt to put a lovecraft skin over Fortune and Glory.

So I'd get more Arkham (but then I have all of Arkham!), unless you think that Eldritch would get more play with your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful.

I think I was leaning towards getting EH, but think I will go with expanding AH instead. I mean, maybe I've been swayed that way as I'm in the AH forum, but I presumed I would be more likely to find people that have played both (plus AH expansions) in this forum, than the EH forum.

And thanks for those variant expansions, I didn't even think people had made their own.

Cheers everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lawrence
United Kingdom
Darlington
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, slightly late to this party, but as an owner of both games, and most of their expansions I have the answer that you probably don't want to hear:

BUY BOTH ;-)

I would suggest a big box expansion for AH though, as IMO it is much better with one additional board, as it stretches out the team.

For EH, with just the base game you get a similar theme, but as other folk have said, a different game.

Oh, and with all the spare cash you have left over, buy Elder Sign :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with EH over Arkham. To me, it plays faster and smoother and does away with a lot of the clunkiness of AH. I feel the combat is far better in EH. Of course, whichever choice you make you'll need to buy a few expansions to make the most of things. Both are good games but now that I have EH I just can't see Arkham hitting the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully expanded Arkham Horror and have never felt the need to buy Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play both but AH has the edge but only with the Dunwich Horror expansion. Both need expansions after a few plays in my opinion unless you play them very infrequently. EH holds out better without an expansion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Schubert
Germany
Bamberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Bob - if it's a matter of challenge, expand AH with Innsmouth, my #1 expansion (the board, the atmosphere, the new characters). EH is less complex but nonetheless an excellent game. If you like the pace and the pressure on the players of AH, then go for expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i prefer innsmouth over DH. if you can get that for a reasonable price, take it. i also prefer AH over EH, but as others have said here, that's to expect if you ask that question in the AH forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 to EH

Just a smoother game experience. AH is badass, but it seems to take a lot longer due to the fiddlyness of mechanics. EH fixed a lot of those problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of those who like Eldritch better, but the reason you should get Eldritch is that you won't know which one you will like best before you try them both. If it turns out you like Arkham best, continue to expand that, and use the Eldritch base game you bought when you need a more streamlined game. If you like Eldritch best, continue to expand that. You can read any number of reviews for both games and for their expansions, but you just won't know which one you like best before you try both.

As for me, if I'm ever going to play any of them solo again, I will use Arkham for that, since I play Eldritch a lot with others. Unfortunately, I have lost interest in solo play for now, so Arkham is collecting dust at the moment. But maybe in a few years I'll want to play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls