Brian Nguyen
msg tools
mbmb
Pretty much doing your future actions that will hurt that person the most instead of going for your own maximum point gain. (Assume that person is in the running for first place still)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tekshi wrote:
Pretty much doing your future actions that will hurt that person the most instead of going for your own maximum point gain. (Assume that person is in the running for first place still)
If things are more ameri-trashy, then sure. Otherwise, I've seen folks try to argue that give somebody else negative points, or denying them points still counts as points for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends 100% on the group you're playing with.

You're not going to get a consensus on this forum on this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
The Temple of Andor, from a Spore GA Logic puzzle. Last EA game I ever bought.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
It depends 100% on the group you're playing with.

You're not going to get a consensus on this forum on this point.
This is the truth.

So, keeping that in mind, for me, I prefer groups where this is perfectly acceptable play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What else are you supposed to do?

Pete (pays back)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your answer is no, remind me to screw you over near the beginning of every game we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't going to win, try to decide who does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Spokane
WASHINGTON
flag msg tools
mb
No, always go for best placement and victory points. Don't purposely hurt someone if it doesn't benefit yourself. It is not the other persons fault that you left yourself so prone or played so poorly that you are no longer a contender. If there are equally beneficial moves and one moves hurts that person then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: The Sands of TimeMicrobadge: Blues Brothers fanMicrobadge: Acquire fanMicrobadge: Decktet card game system fanMicrobadge: C. S. Lewis fan
The thing about petty diplomacy is that it's pretty darn fun and pretty darn satisfying. As George Bailey said, "You made just one mistake, Mr. Potter, you double crossed me and you left me alive!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
tekshi wrote:
No, not ever. As at any other time, you're limited to only those things which (reasonably) move you closer to winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, payback is a way to win. In the next game. Showed them not to mess with me. (There's no game like the metagame).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Spokane
WASHINGTON
flag msg tools
mb
sgosaric wrote:
Well, payback is a way to win. In the next game. Showed them not to mess with me. (There's no game like the metagame).
I think it has quite the opposite effect. I believe they are least likely to help the person out that has king-made(word?) in future games.

There is no telling that the king-maker will be able to king-make like the previous game so why would they still not make their best move even if it hurts the king-maker?

Also, king-making two games in row is a good way of pushing people away from wanting to play games with you.

I understand some groups are all about seeking revenge, etc. To me a games objective is to get the best placement. Even if I get behind or get knocked out, I want to try my best to place well. I want to get out of the way so that the people that are doing well can compete and I can learn off of their play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't your fault the game allows kingmaking. If people don't like it, they should play a game that minimizes kingmaking like Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Los Gatos
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
sgosaric wrote:
Yeah, no. There's only this game. No future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
sgosaric wrote:
Hey, I'll repeat the move as often as it takes. cool

It took Pavlov some time with his dog as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
There wouldn't be a next game, I would refuse the opportunity. I don't want to play with a player who behaves in that immature fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
The Temple of Andor, from a Spore GA Logic puzzle. Last EA game I ever bought.
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
clearclaw wrote:
sgosaric wrote:
Hey, I'll repeat the move as often as it takes. cool

It took Pavlov some time with his dog as well.
I've said this before, but I would subscribe to a Samo/J.C. cowritten gaming blog in a second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Birckhead
United States
Nellysford
virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. Is it thematic for a minor power to screw someone over for position? It certainly falls into the realm of human nature to deny someone else through jealousy of resources and power. Did the way you king-made someone make sense or does it fall totally outside the theme and point of the game. (Sinking your own business to deny someone associated points). Too many variables to answer your question as stated I think. Kingmaking is part and parcel of some games and anathema to others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Appreciate the little things in lifeMicrobadge: Billy Connolly fan - Never trust a man, who when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it onMicrobadge: GameChat League - Gelato Division: "Discover your favorite flavour!"Microbadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.
Kingmaking's a myth. In any game worth playing, far too many moves and variables lead up to the final round to say the actions therein determined the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of you don't actually seem to be talking about kingmaking at all. For me, attacking the runaway leader (directly or indirectly, by denying them resources, etc.) is very valid whether they've messed you up earlier in the game or not.

Harder to justify in gameplay terms, and more frustrating for other players, is when you expend all your energies knocking a 3rd-placed player down to 4th, for example, because they attacked you earlier on. I never really backstab other players, so am not a target of this. Indeed, I've sometimes even benefitted as a leader who gets to ramp up my score while some of the others squabble, but I think it's a bit ridiculous.

I really dislike actual kingmaking, where someone goes all out to see that a different player wins, especially when this involves things like trading the potential 'king' resources at giveaway rates, a player moving into positions that hurt their own chances, letting the 'king' invade them with no resistance, etc. If someone did this once, I would think hard about whether to play with them again. If twice, I would do all I could to keep away from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Kingmaking's a myth. In any game worth playing, far too many moves and variables lead up to the final round to say the actions therein determined the winner.
You misunderstand the term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being vindictive is one thing, but if at the end of the game, there are only 2 people left in the running to win, and one of them knocked me out of the running earlier, I know which of the two I will be targeting.

Part of winning a game is making sure that anyone you make an enemy of, cannot hurt you enough to knock you out. If they take you out of first place, it was your fault for not crushing them completely or leaving yourself open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
BennyD wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
You misunderstand the term.
You misunderstand the "any game worth playing" disclaimer.

He and I don't see eye to eye on much, but don't accuse him of misunderstanding the terminology. His statement is correct.
For any common usage of the term "Kingmaker", no his statement is not correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingmaker_scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |