APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you
badge
mb
Here is an easy modification to make to your ship base so that it is less prone to getting jostled. I find my clumsy fingers often bump the ship or the base and cause the ship base to get knocked way out of position. This helps a ton (and gives the base a nice heft and sturdy feel).

d10-1 Add 4 Scotch brand self-stick rubber pads to the underside of the base. They are the perfect thickness, protruding just a hair beyond the base. It's imperceptible that the base is raised off the table top. This gives the base a better non-slip traction on smooth surfaces.

d10-2 Glue together two fender washers with superglue. Then glue the washers to the underside of the ship base. Fender washers work best because they are wider relative to the size of the bolt hole. Two 1-1/2 inch diameter washer (3/8" inner diameter) fit perfectly and are recessed just below the ship base so will never touch the table top.

You can see the difference it makes in this short video:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

SUPERB ideas! I wonder how the rubber pads work on the ocean mats? Regardless, I'm headed to Lowes tomorrow for those washers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bgm1961 wrote:
I wonder how the rubber pads work on the ocean mats?
It works well on the Ares game mat (the animated gif link above was recorded on the mat). Only down side so far seems to be that sometimes you do have to press down on one end of the base to "pop a wheelie" so you can pull the card out after a maneuver. But at least there is no slipping around while you do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

apkendrick wrote:
(the animated gif link above was recorded on the mat).
Yeah, about that... my IE browser popped-up a red-screen warning when I tried accessing that web site:

"This website has been reported to contain the following threats:
•Malicious software threat: This site contains links to viruses or other software programs that can reveal personal information stored or typed on your computer to malicious persons."

Of course it offered me the option to continue, but I chose not to as I don't know much about that site nor was I interested in learning about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bgm1961 wrote:

apkendrick wrote:
Yeah, about that... my IE browser popped-up a red-screen warning when I tried accessing that web site
[i]
Hmmm, that's strange. I used CloudApp (https://www.getcloudapp.com) to host the image since BGG does not allow animated gif images to be uploaded here. CloudApp is a reputable service and it's just a gif image that I uploaded.

I'll see about posting the video to youtube instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
apkendrick wrote:
bgm1961 wrote:

apkendrick wrote:
Yeah, about that... my IE browser popped-up a red-screen warning when I tried accessing that web site
[i]
Hmmm, that's strange. I used CloudApp (https://www.getcloudapp.com) to host the image since BGG does not allow animated gif images to be uploaded here. CloudApp is a reputable service and it's just a gif image that I uploaded.

I'll see about posting the video to youtube instead.
I posted the video to youtube instead of linking to the gif and updated my original post with the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, first off, ... great video. I see it now, and yes I agree that makes a difference! Thx for posting the video.

But about the website you included the original version of your OP... it definitely wasn't getcloudapp! I just now clicked on the getcloudapp link you provided above and that worked without a problem. But the link you provided originally took me to a malware site whose address had a bunch of letters... something like (my memory is bad): "http://fl.y.cl.". I should've taken a screen shot.

Anyway, it's all worked out now and thanks for the great ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bgm1961 wrote:

OK, first off, ... great video. I see it now, and yes I agree that makes a difference! Thx for posting the video.
Sure thing!

bgm1961 wrote:

But about the website you included the original version of your OP... it definitely wasn't getcloudapp! I just now clicked on the getcloudapp link you provided above and that worked without a problem. But the link you provided originally took me to a malware site whose address had a bunch of letters... something like (my memory is bad): "http://fl.y.cl.". I should've taken a screen shot.

The link I posted was http://f.cl.ly/items/3Z250F3k3y3u1N1O2N0T/base_video.gif

...which is hosted by CloudApp service. The URL for the image above came from this page, http://cl.ly/image/3h082b2J0U3F which is CloudApp's.

I don't mean this to sound argumentative, just trying to be transparent. I do not think there is any malware there. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it does not add your weight and heft, I just glue my ship base to the clear plastic screen that covers the card. I can still pull it out of the stand if I want to change cards, but it eliminates the ship twisting as you describe (which is indeed irritating).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea for adding some heft to the stands. I just use some BluTac to secure my ships to their base to prevent them from rotating around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kduke wrote:
While it does not add your weight and heft, I just glue my ship base to the clear plastic screen that covers the card. I can still pull it out of the stand if I want to change cards, but it eliminates the ship twisting as you describe (which is indeed irritating).
This trick actually does nothing for the ship spinning. It's all about shoring up the base. The ships from the starter set jiggle as much as ever but the base stays put when they do. I may try your idea out on the ships from the starter set. Sounds like a good one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MayorJim wrote:
Nice idea for adding some heft to the stands. I just use some BluTac to secure my ships to their base to prevent them from rotating around.
Aha! I am going to give that a shot. All ships back to the yard for refitting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Moffitt
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
Remeber Everyone Deployed
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff!thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Collins
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Wish I'd thought of that! Thanks for posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You bet!

Between this and MayorJim's suggestion about BluTac above, I am really enjoying the new feel/handling of the bases and ships during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grade Jason
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought a blue felt mat from a local hobby/craft store. It's cheap, and the friction from the felt material, and the squishiness, make it very easy to slide cards under the ships without much jostling.

The mat that I bought is 2 yards by 2 yards, so I can accomodate up to a 6 ft x 6 ft play area. But since it's just felt cloth, it's easy to fold in half in order to make a 3 ft x 6 ft or 3 ft x 3 ft mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls