Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Machi Koro» Forums » Variants

Subject: Instead of dealing out ten piles with the expansions why not fifteen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
That's how many cards are in the base game so why not just keep it at that many when you deal the random piles? Shouldn't that be enough to make sure that the market pace doesn't get clogged up? You also wouldn't have to separate into the piles to do the 4-4-2 or 5-5-2 or anything like that. What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Calne
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: The Great Indoors: Worcestershire board game eventMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Newcastle United FC fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Plays Games with Spouse
Fenderbass124 wrote:
That's how many cards are in the base game so why not just keep it at that many when you deal the random piles? Shouldn't that be enough to make sure that the market pace doesn't get clogged up? You also wouldn't have to separate into the piles to do the 4-4-2 or 5-5-2 or anything like that. What do you guys think?
I suppose by limiting it to 10 piles rather than 15 you create more tension and players have to make tougher decisions. If there are 15 piles then players can pretty much do whatever they want but with 10, you might have to start developing a new strategy because the obvious buildings you wanted aren't there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: DellCon fanMicrobadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: Liverpool fan
After playing this only twice without the expansion, I can see the deterministic way a lot of games will go (especially when only playing 2 player. Having too much choice will reduce the different way each game can go. Yes, there will always be that extra bit of luck on if a card to compliment your city comes out. But I think this game needs this to keep it fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
We use 15 piles at my table for the reasons you mentioned. It keeps the piles from getting clogged up.

It still creates meaningful choices and is especially good for dealing with many of the cards from millionaires row. Like the ones that are useless when you start constructinh landmarks.

Plus there are many cards that rely on others to work. So with 15 piles odds increase that you will see one or two essential cards.

I've played a half dozen games and feel the game is still excellent laid out this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Calne
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: The Great Indoors: Worcestershire board game eventMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Newcastle United FC fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Plays Games with Spouse
MajaiofDreams wrote:
We use 15 piles at my table for the reasons you mentioned. It keeps the piles from getting clogged up.

It still creates meaningful choices and is especially good for dealing with many of the cards from millionaires row. Like the ones that are useless when you start constructinh landmarks.

Plus there are many cards that rely on others to work. So with 15 piles odds increase that you will see one or two essential cards.

I've played a half dozen games and feel the game is still excellent laid out this way.
That might be the difference then. We have Harbour but not Millionaire's Row so maybe less need to have the extra piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
sneakypete21 wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

That might be the difference then. We have Harbour but not Millionaire's Row so maybe less need to have the extra piles.
I can see that. If you just add Harbor, 10 piles should work fine. But MR has a ton of "fiddly" cards that are very situationsl. They easily lend to board clogging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah I play with both expansions. Harbor I did ten piles and it was fine. When I added MR I went up to 15 piles and it has helped me a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We have been playing with 10 for the base game and 12 with Harbor added in. With 10 during Harbor we had a game where nothing but high number cards were available, and the game took FOREVER to get going. Have not tried adding in millionaires row yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pearce
msg tools
Microbadge: 24 Hour Contest participantMicrobadge: Copper ReviewerMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Watch it Played fan
ghost604 wrote:
We have been playing with 10 for the base game and 12 with Harbor added in. With 10 during Harbor we had a game where nothing but high number cards were available, and the game took FOREVER to get going. Have not tried adding in millionaires row yet.
That's always my concern, especially when I normally play only with my wife. As such, I find that 12 is a good number - its easier to remember as well - 2xd6, 12 cards, 12's the number. And it's necessary when we try out my no purchase variant, as well as other variants. You just dont want to clog up the table with too many cards no one wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: Parent of Five BoysMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fan
I also play with 15 cards, and I also put a limit of 4 purple stacks, otherwise they can clog the stacks since each player can only own 1 of each type.
with expansions and random draws there is also a risk that the random dealt cards are too expensive for early game and trigger only above 6. When I get this kind of draw I adjust the starting money given to each player, otherwise the game is dragging too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game - Negotiate SkillMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game - WantedMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game - Tech SkillMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game fan
Alright, I'm going to test a 6-6-3 layout based on this thread. I've also found that with both expansions you can get a lot of worthless cards to show up. I may also try to allow discarding a card prior to purchasing, in order to allow even faster cycling through the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jollum Trixter
Norway
Buvika
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver RPG CollectorMicrobadge: Call of Cthulhu RPG fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
What about 3 piles per player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game - Negotiate SkillMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game - WantedMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game - Tech SkillMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game fan
I've thought about this some more, and next time I want to experiment with the layout of cards available. Perhaps try 5 Blue, 5 Green, 3 Red, and 2 Purple cards, for a total of 15 available for purchase.

I also want to try 12 piles of cards for purchase, separated by the minimum roll required to trigger the card, so there would be piles from 1-12 of random cards. In combination I may steal a mechanism from my Epic Thunderstone rules, and allow each player to take one card on top of any pile and put it on the bottom instead, this before purchasing a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls