Frank Zinzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Maybe you can help me. I am just about to finish the ROTR base set and Burnt offerings. I play solo with two characters. I very much enjoy this game and fully intend to buy the character add-on set as well as the rest of this (ROTR) adventure path series (up to deck 6, I think). I think there is a ton of potential replay value in playing the adventure path 3 or 4 times with different sets/combinations of 2 characters. This should keep me happy for a while.

My main question is....is it worth it to buy the other base sets and their adventure paths??

Sub-questions:

1) How compatible are they?

2) Do you have to start all over again or can you you use your leveled characters from ROTR?

3) If you have ROTR, can you skip buying the base sets (S&S & WOTR) and just buy & use the character add-ons and adventure paths of the expansions. That is, are the character classes and their abilities (and the adventure path scenarios) themed just for the expansion and the new mechanics of the expansion or can they be easily used/played with just the base set (ROTR)

Thanks for your help and feedback,

Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1. For the most part, the three base sets are separate and they don't play with one another.

2. You are meant to start at the beginning when you start up S&S or WOTR. That said, there are rules out there to use WOTR as a 7th Adventure after finishing an Adventure Path for ROTR or S&S.

3. No. If you want to play S&S or WOTR, you need to buy those base sets.

As for the main question, is it worth it? I'd say if you play through ROTR and still want more, then sure. I wouldn't buy them immediately, in case you get burned out on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Morales
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I feel the same way as you. I'm doing the same thing. I just started RotR deck 1 and bought upto deck 4 so far. I intend to play thru it. I let my best friend jump in different scenarios testing different characters.

IMHO: WotR might be worth it but not S&S. After watching gameplay videos of both adventure paths, S&S looks more of the same. The ship mechanic is not a big deal. WotR adds mythic cards and d20. One of the monster combat checks was a 50. I might buy the base set to evaluate it for myself... definitely not for full price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Each set of PACG gets progressively harder. Wrath is a lot more challenging than Shackles. If you're the type of gamer who's great at deck builders (Magic, Epic, NetRunner, etc), then you probably won't notice it, since you're already good at spotting card combos that work well together. If you're marginal at those kinds of games, then you might run into some roadblocks in the early going with Wrath.

If you're a fan of the Adventure Guides, then the decision's a bit more obvious because Shackles has one and Wrath doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boxer wrote:
My main question is....is it worth it to buy the other base sets and their adventure paths??
For me, the answer to this question was yes, It was worth buying the S&S set. Didn't buy WotR since we are still completing S&S. That said, I would suggest you first buy the full RotR and see if you keep enjoying the system.

Boxer wrote:
1) How compatible are they?
The only real thing is that you can play characters from one set in another one. Even then, for some characters, this is easier as for others. If a character is focused on something related to his current set, it is mayber not the best to be used in others. As an example, in S&S, you have some characters that get skills related to craft checks, which doesn't appear in RotR, so you are limited in the choice of skills that are good.

Boxer wrote:
2) Do you have to start all over again or can you you use your leveled characters from ROTR?
Yes, you have to start over. There are rules to play the second part of the WotR patch as continuation on RotR or S&S with your fully leveled character, but in itself, they are meant to be played from the beginning.

Boxer wrote:
3) If you have ROTR, can you skip buying the base sets (S&S & WOTR) and just buy & use the character add-ons and adventure paths of the expansions. That is, are the character classes and their abilities (and the adventure path scenarios) themed just for the expansion and the new mechanics of the expansion or can they be easily used/played with just the base set (ROTR)
No, this is not possible. The base set from each tontains a lot of components specific to the setting that are needed. For S&S, you have:
- generic locations used in that campaign.
- ships
- weapons/items/... linked to the set (the swashbucking keyword comes to mind)
- your first adventure deck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Zinzi
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all if the feedback. I will play thru the first set or ROtR stuff and then see where I go from there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
If you're a fan of the Adventure Guides, then the decision's a bit more obvious because Shackles has one and Wrath doesn't.
I'm kind of hoping that will change at some point, but maybe that's wishful thinking as I'm sure it's a lot of work. The Adventure Guide adds so much to my enjoyment of the game that I'm very hesistant to even purchase Wrath without having an Adventure Guide for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls