Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe your army comes and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched numerous reviews of the various Viking themed games that are all the buzz right now. I don't deny that Blood Rage looks to be very special and the best reviewed of them. However, I really don't have a group meetup. My location and schedule really only allows time for me to play with my wife and two daughters (11 & 13).

They've come a long way in hobby gaming, but I doubt they would be able to grasp some of the deeper strategies in Blood Rage. Though, I'd enjoy it greatly, I'm starting to lean more toward Champions of Midgard if I want something with this theme. I think it would be easier for them to grasp, plus, with the added randomness of the dice in combat, I think it would even the playing field more. Something without the PvP would be more appealing as well.

I'm really torn though, as Blood Rage appears to be something really special. For that matter, Raiders of the North and Fire & Axe (reprint) both look quite nice as well. With my budget and space, having both is not an option.

Is anyone else facing a decision of one or the other (not both) and various things are leaning them toward Champions of Midgard over Blood Rage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really facing this type of decision, however I own CoM, will receive BR this week and Raiders of the North Sea by the end of the month.

I swear I'm not into Vikings at all!... but those are all very good (and different) games.

Having said that I honestly think that BR has a little bit more staying power and for me seems more elegant and easier to grasp (drafting, area control, etc). Depending on her experience I'm sure your 13 y.o. will easily beat you at it very soon (my 15 y.o. plays Revolution! and Mission: Red Planet rather well, also 7 Wonders). Adding to this the fact that the minis alone are a great draw to a kid and that it plays 2 players rather well (in case you want to start playing against your wife) makes me lean in the direction of BR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own COM and will also have raiders by the end of the month. If it helps COM is like $38 now on CSI vs $47.99 everywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Leone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a simular situation, I decided to go with Champions of midgard, and my son and I love it. The game flows well, and the vikings going off to defeat the monsters regardless of losses is very thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yetijoe UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire and Axe is a great fun game and so is CoM.

CoM would be great for a family fun play and the PvP is less direct than Fire and Axe as it is more about getting the resource first, so better for those who like a more subtle PvP experience that should upset the kids less when you become the new Jarl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls