Hans Rasmusson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Yes... I'm choo-chooing to buy board games!
badge
The bird is the word!
Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Hot Food loverMicrobadge: Rockstar Games fanMicrobadge: Eurogamer
The Pennsylvania rules states that you should score a Globtrotter Bonus (that is the player who has completed the most tickets at game end). However, the rules don't state that you shouldn't score for longest route, and the rules begin with saying that all rules from the base game is in effect, where not stated otherwise.

There is so much other info left out in this rule-set (7 long routes for example), that I began to wonder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: IPA Beer fan - Make it hoppyMicrobadge: Asheville Tourists fanMicrobadge: Pancake fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
If there had been no mention of either one, the Globetrotter or the Longest Route, I'd say it's open for debate.

However, since they specifically mention one but not the other, my guess is that the Globetrotter bonus is the only one they intended to be used.

But.. it's your game, so if you want to house rule it to include the Longest Route bonus as well, I say go ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evnzro wrote:
But.. it's your game, so if you want to house rule it to include the Longest Route bonus as well, I say go ahead.
Actually, the way the rules are written (and currently no official errata from DoW or Alan R. Moon), the house rule would be NOT to use Longest Route (in conjuncture with Globetrotter) since that rule is very clearly a part of regular TTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dukes of Dice fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Brawling Brothers podcast fanMicrobadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge:  I'm Board! Games & Family Fun Fan
I agree that this is confusing! You will see my rant about the comparison of this confusion to another Ticket To Ride rules blunder along with a solution I present for the 7 car track clarification at this existing forum page:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1456718/pennsylvania-7-route

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: IPA Beer fan - Make it hoppyMicrobadge: Asheville Tourists fanMicrobadge: Pancake fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
Haze1975 wrote:
..the rules begin with saying that all rules from the base game is in effect, where not stated otherwise.
Maybe I'm not seeing the right file, but that's not what it actually says. The pdf on DoW's site says: "This rules booklet describes the game play changes specific to the Pennsylvania Map and assumes that you are familiar with the rules first introduced in the original Ticket to Ride."

Basically, "drawing train cards and claiming routes is pretty much the same on this map, but with a few changes to gameplay and scoring."

Ezel wrote:
..since that rule is very clearly a part of regular TTR.
Well, that depends I suppose.
In the base game of TTR, there's a Longest Route bonus.
If you play with the 1910 cards, you use the Globetrotter bonus instead.
If you play the Mega Cities variant, you use both bonuses.

So it seems to me that because the Pennsylvania rules only include the Globetrotter bonus, that it was the intention to use only that bonus and not the Longest Route, otherwise they would have mentioned it.

Because it's not written anywhere in the Pennsylvania rules, I'm calling it a house rule.

edit: After re-reading my post, I feel like a big jerk. Not sure why I got so invested in this. Maybe a bad day at work? Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R. Moon
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You only use the Globetrotter Bonus in PA. There is no Longest Route Bonus. But like others who have said this, if you want to add the Longest Route Bonus or just use it instead of the Globetrotter, go ahead. I'm a firm believer that you should play a game the way it works best for you. But the game was only tested with the Globetrotter Bonus.

Joshua, you aren't a jerk. I would love every TICKET TO RIDE rulebook and map to be perfect, but we are imperfect beings who live in an imperfect world. So there will probably always be mistakes. I've accepted that and found my happy place. And sometimes mistakes turn into something unexpected. For instance, I'd put Duluth in every map if I could.

Alan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Cross Country Skiing fanMicrobadge: I use renewable energy for my residenceMicrobadge: WriterMicrobadge: Lingonberry loverMicrobadge: Statistics fan
alanrmoon wrote:
And sometimes mistakes turn into something unexpected. For instance, I'd put Duluth in every map if I could.
Well, that sounds interesting. I've heard about how the Duluth/Minneapolis mistake originated, but speculating about what unexpected it turned into, will from now on keep me awake at night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: UK Games Expo attendeeMicrobadge: I use Ikea Kallax shelves for my games!Microbadge: I Rearrange My GamesMicrobadge: Silver Board Game Collector
Thank you for the clarification, I cannot blame you for my partner now feeling cheated that she lost (not to me) having had her presumed 10 points removed retrospectively. She'll be fine and next time we play we'll go over what is and what is not being scored before we start. Great map pack; our new favourite edging out Asia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls