Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wydraz
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've been thinking about all the ideas being thrown about concerning the lack of crew interaction and the feel of "crew as family" and wanted to throw in an idea that could be developed.

Ideally I want a system in place that adds to the game without adding a new set of cards. Just a new mechanic that is quick and easy to play, printed on something like a story card.

I haven't tested it out, and I'm sure it could use some more thought, but the idea is simple. Whenever a crew type shows up on a Supply Planet discard pile, that crew type keyword may trigger an event on your own ship.

Something like this...

CREW EVENTS TABLE

COMPANION appears in supply discard:
CREW ON YOUR SHIP
- Companion: no effect.
- Grifter: if the only crew with ALERT token, remove and become disgruntled (explained below).
- Mechanic: if no PARTS in hold, discovers stash (add 1 PART to hold).
- Medic: no effect.
- Merc: wants some action; complete a job this or next turn, or become disgruntled.
- Pilot: if Merc on ship, discovers lost contact (draw extra card next DEAL action).
- Soldier: no effect.

GRIFTER appears in supply discard:
CREW ON YOUR SHIP
- Companion: no effect.
- Grifter: must go to that supply planet this or next turn, or become disgruntled.
- Mechanic: discovers a PART in hold is defective (discard one PART).
- Medic: has surplus supplies (add 1 CARGO to hold).
- Merc: no effect.
- Pilot: if a Grifter is on ship, falls in love (place ALERT token on both crew).
- Soldier: no effect.

... and so on (fill in the blanks below) ...

MECHANIC appears in supply discard:
CREW ON YOUR SHIP
- Companion:
- Grifter:
- Mechanic:
- Medic:
- Merc:
- Pilot:
- Soldier:

MEDIC appears in supply discard:
CREW ON YOUR SHIP
- Companion:
- Grifter:
- Mechanic:
- Medic:
- Merc:
- Pilot:
- Soldier:

MERC appears in supply discard:
CREW ON YOUR SHIP
- Companion:
- Grifter:
- Mechanic:
- Medic:
- Merc:
- Pilot:
- Soldier:

PILOT appears in supply discard:
CREW ON YOUR SHIP
- Companion:
- Grifter:
- Mechanic:
- Medic:
- Merc:
- Pilot:
- Soldier:

SOLDIER appears in supply discard:
CREW ON YOUR SHIP
- Companion:
- Grifter:
- Mechanic:
- Medic:
- Merc:
- Pilot:
- Soldier:

... ...

So whenever a crew card is put into a Supply discard pile, THE NEXT PLAYER checks against his crew. If you have any that apply that have other than "no effect" you can choose one of your crew to resolve the issue (or roll randomly?), IOW if one of your crew is listed in an event, one of them must be resolved.

so... what do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept, but a few thoughts:

1) Given the complexity of this, I would absolutely make the events immediate. You don't want to be tracking things (like the Merc and Pilot events that trigger on Companion).

2) How much can happen in one turn? Let's say I'm the next Crew after you, and you're on Osiris. You draw Yolonda, The Guardian, and a Med Staff, for a total of 5 Crew triggers. Do I play through all of them? What if you drew three Med Staff? Do I triple up on the same events?

3) Although I like the concept, I'm not sure that I love that you're dependent on the draw of the guy in front of you. What this means to me is that, in general, you're going to see a flurry of activity early in the game, then little or nothing throughout the game, and that it may be uneven based on the strategy of various players.

Good start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever use of the discards to trigger events. I'd have them only trigger for the current player however, and not all players.

I'd also have it trigger at the end of your Buy action based on the card showing on top of the discard pile. That way if you discard a bit of gear or an upgrade last then you won't trigger anything.

This makes triggering events up to the player and not the capricious fickle fate. But it also means they might trigger something by necessity (whether advantageous or detrimental) if they must leave a crew card on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: GHS memberMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
If I consider 3 cards from the discard pile, and place them all back, do I get to trigger something? ie I've only done the Buy Action to force a trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't add a new deck of cards, what's the point?

This isn't a bad idea. I'm not sure there's a way to simplify it too much more and have it be worth including, because most of the complexity is the flavor of the keyword matchups.

I'd limit the trigger to the first turned up card from a person's Buy action (fresh card only, not discarded cards). So it's random, and it reduces multiple triggers. If you include the discard pile, it creates the opportunity for people to mine it for cards to "consider" just to mess with people - not that that's a bad thing...

If it's random like that, then you can have it affect the current player. If you do it from cards being considered and discarded, it should affect the next player, and maybe if they don't have anyone affected, it goes to the next person to check and so on, and could conceivably loop back around to the current player and affect him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, what I REALLY want to do here it take the idea and turn it into a new deck.

Given that this keys off of the Supply Decks and LOCAL COLOR can only be used on non-Supply Planets, this is sort of the anti-LOCAL COLOR in a way.

I think the key here is to find a way to tweak the idea so that it is a) streamlined and b) not given to abuse. I think both of those are currently risks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydraz
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, good points all!

I think if the event happens at the end of your buy action, that leaves you with too much control... you might buy a crew just to avoid an event, or pick up three crew and discard all of them leaving the one you want to play on top. No good.

I agree that only the first card you draw counts for the event check immediately, at the start of your buy action. If that card is not a crew, or if you don't draw any cards, then nothing happens.

Can anyone add to the list of events above? I'm sure there are a ton of things I have not yet thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls