Subject: For those 7 Wonders players that enjoyed the 2p rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I thoroughly enjoy the 2 player variant of 7 Wonders, almost more than we like playing with 2+ . I am wondering for those of you who are also in that category, is this still worthy of buying?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HealthyGamingNetwork wrote:
My wife and I thoroughly enjoy the 2 player variant of 7 Wonders, almost more than we like playing with 2+ . I am wondering for those of you who are also in that category, is this still worthy of buying?

Thanks!
You are asking those who have bought it. The likely answer is "Yes".

I enjoy the 2p version of 7W (7W42) too, but I bought 7WD on top of it. I bought it for a couple of reasons.

1) I love 7W
2) I wanted a solid, small 2p game
3) I wanted a different game to 7W
4) I like the art, the look & components
5) I like the idea of multiple possible wins
6) I love the added strategic layer of, well, the layers of cards.
7) I have rather a lot of faith in both Bauza & Cathala

I have played several games and am very happy with my purchase. I will still play 7W42, but this is more compact, easier to set up and explain. People who disliked 7W42 have reluctantly tried 7WD and loved it.

7WD is not more of the same. It is more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annabel Seaton
United Kingdom
Portslade Village
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
I sell my handmade dice bags on Etsy - www.dicebags.co.uk
Microbadge: Born in 1981Microbadge: I love pandasMicrobadge: What time is it? It's time to play Boardgames!Microbadge: Maneki Neko - I welcome good fortune!Microbadge: 2019 Secret Santa participant
AernoutMJC wrote:
1) I love 7W
2) I wanted a solid, small 2p game
3) I wanted a different game to 7W
4) I like the art, the look & components
5) I like the idea of multiple possible wins
6) I love the added strategic layer of, well, the layers of cards.
7) I have rather a lot of faith in both Bauza & Cathala
I agree with Aernout :-) Great game, if you like 7 Wonders 2p then I think you'd really love this. A worthy buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks much. That wasn't the response I was expecting to be honest. However I'm happy to hear it as I love the game and the theme. I'll give it a shot!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much. That wasn't the response I was expecting to be honest. However I'm happy to hear it as I love the game and the theme. I'll give it a shot!

Thanks again!
So what were you expecting?
(You'll love the game!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks!
Nope. I like Basic 7 wonders with 2p, even if with 4 players it is my favorite game from all board games I've played so far. Despite this, I must say Duels is not that good. It has some fundamental issues that make this game... iffy to say at least.

Most of them are regarding balance issues. It just doesn't hit the spot. Military feels unrewarding, science feels OP, resources stacking feels more like a fuss rather than a strategic choice and the wonders are bleah.

Gameplay wise, the game itself doesn't feel very rewarding. In 7 wonders there are a lot of subtle interactions. There are still present in Duels, but they feel diluted or rather empty.
Also there is a problem with the quality. It just seems underpar for the price you pay for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Chua
Australia
Highett
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My partner and I really enjoy 7 Wonders as a 2 player game, as we can use the dummy city to our advantage. Granted, this is after only one play, but my partner found 7 Wonders: Duel a lot more mean than regular 7 Wonders, as I consistently prevented him from having any money to do anything productive through a military strategy, and also forcing him to discard cards or money through the wonders I had built. However, even though he complained about it a lot, it was actually a pretty close game on overall (57-50).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably have all the answers you need by now, but we're a couple who swears by the two-player rules for 7 Wonders. So much so that we'll no longer play it with more than two because of the loss of control of your strategy. However, the game does have an awful lot of setup and moving pieces for a quick two-player game.

Duels does an incredible job of capturing all the aspects of the larger game with far less tinkering. That should be a good thing, but it has left us feeling like Duels is a little too distilled. It could be perception, but Duels is so tightly designed that we feel like it's so much of a balanced battle that there are few surprises. We still like it and it's much more portable, but as of right now the original game two players still edges out Duels.

One thing we do like a lot from Duels is the solitaire-style card arrangements. It's a much clearer way to get an idea of what's coming up than passing hands of cards around. Now I'm wondering if the main game will work with that arrangement...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all for the continued input.

We still haven't given this a try yet, largely as we have had so many other options of games that didn't appear, at least on the surface, to be so similar to the ones on our shelf.

At this point we can probably wait to pick up a used copy on GeekBay!

Rocco...would be interested to hear if you ended up modifying 7W to match the solitaire card layout!

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let you know! Honestly, most of our available gaming time right now is taken up by Patchwork so it might be a while before we really dive in to 7 Wonders modifications. The good news for you is that the price for Duels has been dropping fast and I'm sure if you set a camelcamelcamel alert you'll hit your dream price soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I'll let you know! Honestly, most of our available gaming time right now is taken up by Patchwork so it might be a while before we really dive in to 7 Wonders modifications. The good news for you is that the price for Duels has been dropping fast and I'm sure if you set a camelcamelcamel alert you'll hit your dream price soon.
If you like the Patchwork weight, also check out:
Kahuna
Jaipur
Rose King

Quarto & Hive are also a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
If you like the Patchwork weight, also check out:
Kahuna
Jaipur
Rose King

Quarto & Hive are also a lot of fun.
Haha... Rose King is the only one of those that we don't have, but you can bet I'll check it out now! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally saw this and thought "but I already like the 2p version of the main game".

Then I got this.

Let's keep this simple - I will only be playing the big box version if I have more than 2 players :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls