Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very long time ago I read Edvard Radzinsky's biography on Stalin. This passage, which seems apropos to the game, always stuck with me:

Quote:

"Stalin's fellow honeymooners were missing from the conference. Roosevelt was in his grave and Churchill flew from Postdam to take part in a general election and did not return--the Labour Party, led by Atlee, had won. The Boss commented that Western democracy must be a wretched system if it could exchange a great man like Churchill for Attlee.

The Western Allies, then, were represented by Truman and Attlee. Stalin had succeeded in outsmarting two Titans; what hop had these two against him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Postdam
Exactly what my research showed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Admiral Zheng He
United States
South Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem, Potsdam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Postdam
Have you read the biography? Not much of it would be directly relevant to the game, but just glancing at the chapter that I pulled the quote from, there's some discussion about Molotov's role at the later conferences.

It talks about how the western allies were really impressed by him. Apparently Molotov was receiving instructions from "Druzhkov," which Radzinsky's research led him to believe was actually Stalin. His book was published in '96, and I believe he was one of the first to have access to a lot of the Soviet archives, including the telegrams from Druzkov. I was wondering if the research and scholarship in the last 20 years has reached the same conclusion as Radzinsky on Molotov's role (and being guided in every way by Stalin) in the conferences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heli wrote:
Ahem, Potsdam
j

Not my error, I just replied, I guess the BGG system uses a different dictionary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
heli wrote:
Ahem, Potsdam
j

Not my error, I just replied, I guess the BGG system uses a different dictionary.
I edited the OP post after the mistake was pointed out. I didn't realize that the unintended consequence would be to make it look like you had made the mistake rather than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:
heli wrote:
Ahem, Potsdam
j

I edited the OP post after the mistake was pointed out. I didn't realize that the unintended consequence would be to make it look like you had made the mistake rather than me.
No problem, I didn't even notice it. Computers do interesting things when you are not paying attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls