Subject: Being bg publisher isn't easy. Nor is being a designer.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... they both take hard work. What about being an artist for board games?

There doesn't seem to be much talks about them (well, except for shoutouts frome time to time, for some good works of them, or rants about awful ones). Nor does there seem to be any blogs, professional diaries, etc. on board game artists (mind you, not that I've looked very hard). I'd reckon many of them are either akin to your typical designer where they have a day job to foot the bills, or bg are either a smaller piece of the pie, and they do art for industries that are larger and pay more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recent artist geeklists..

Games I worked on in 2015... (as an illustrator)

I agree, you don't hear too much from some of the fantastic artists that lend their talents to board games. I like to think they are all very busy with their work and don't have a whole lot of time to answer questions or talk about it.

Sometimes you get a slice of a designer's diary that will cover the artistic side which is always a fascinating glimpse behind the scenes.

Here's a few good art based Designer Diary articles..

Publisher Diary: Mysterium, or What's the Difference Between Mysterium and Tajemnicze Domostwo?
Artist Diary: Bringing Discoveries to Life

( Actually, the DD posts are some of my absolute favorite things on BGG. I LOVE to see how things are designed and produced so be sure to read all of these.. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogcategory/19/page/1 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer and publisher's jobs usually need a good dose of outside input whereas the artist doesn't. Sure they gotta please their costumer or employer but its not comparable to a designer needing play-testing.

I believe, and I know many can disagree and be right plenty of times, that art is one of those things that you can substitute hard work with talent. Not saying its always true but it happens much easier then with other jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls