Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Artwork inconsistency? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to buy this game for sure but I am still troubled by the artwork. So far the only glitch for me is the box which contains a grinning, goofy Dracula.

But what kind of theme does the artwork on the cards represent? Most importantly, is the artwork on the cards consistent? I would hate to see those cards in various thematic styles as it would damage the authenticity of the game, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
Microbadge: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...Microbadge: Jack in the Box fanMicrobadge: JugglerMicrobadge: This is a mooseover.Microbadge: Panda Express lover
I don't care much for the box cover art either but aside from that I like the rest of the game's artwork just fine. Mind you art like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In the end nobody can tell you if you will like the artwork or not. There are however plenty of pictures of the game in the photo section here that show the artwork. Looking through those will likely answer your question for you the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OldNews wrote:
I plan to buy this game for sure but I am still troubled by the artwork. So far the only glitch for me is the box which contains a grinning, goofy Dracula.
All I can tell you is that, actually seeing it, I really like the cover. Drac's expression is really evil, eyes' details are great, and there's an overall "poison green" look, with an ancient map in the background and the bats flying all over springing out of the dark - it's really dynamic and menacing for my taste.
Again, it's very personal, but I'm glad they've changed the old "Drac is leading a cavalry charge" cover, but YMMV.

OldNews wrote:
But what kind of theme does the artwork on the cards represent? Most importantly, is the artwork on the cards consistent? I would hate to see those cards in various thematic styles as it would damage the authenticity of the game, in my opinion.
To me it's similar to Cthulhu artwork: serious, dark, realistic. It's very consistent all over, my only 2 exceptions are Pistol and Holy Circle items that are a slightly bit more "cartoonish" to me, but this is nitpicking mind you. From the board to all the bits (despair tokens are plain awesome) theme is powerfully there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Radic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iskreno mogli su staviti Gary Oldman-a u ekranizaciji iz 1992...ali kako Brian kaže ljepota je u oku promatrača.
Artwork je zaista lijep,mislim na karte,mapa naravno,ukoliko i dalje imaš sumnji možemo se dogovoriti da pregledaš igru prije kupnje.

Sorry for my bad English

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mb
I also particularly love the despair tokens. All of the components are great and the art theme is consistent and successful.

One inconsistency is that in the combat cards (both hunter and dracula) the vampires are not exactly consistent. But this may be intentional as dracula is not the only fighter that gets into combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kross
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely do not like the cover art of this version. There's something about him, but it's mostly the bats for me that make it look odd.

I found the rest of the art to range from 'good' to 'awesome.' There are some gory images for sure, and nothing that feels as odd as the cover, which makes the cover stand out even more to me as feeling out of place. Our friend from the cover makes an appearance on one card, however.

Overall, I found the rest of the artwork very thematic and nothing stuck out as odd. That makes it all the more puzzling to me why they went with what they did on the cover, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulterius wrote:
Iskreno mogli su staviti Gary Oldman-a u ekranizaciji iz 1992...ali kako Brian kaže ljepota je u oku promatrača.
Artwork je zaista lijep,mislim na karte,mapa naravno,ukoliko i dalje imaš sumnji možemo se dogovoriti da pregledaš igru prije kupnje.

Sorry for my bad English
Igore, hvala ti na ponudi. Da je riječ o bilo kojoj drugoj igri, uzeo bih te za riječ, ali na Fury of Dracula čekam već dvije godine i kupujem je sigurno, bez obzira na artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Lindley
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
Lych Gate every 2nd Wednesday...
badge
Geek, before it was fashionable...
mbmbmbmbmb
The most inconsistent thing for me is the FFG logo on the side of the box. Typically the FFG logo sits in the bottom left of their boxes when on the shelf, this one however is in the top left - Grrrrrrr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls