J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered, but I'm a new Tichu player and I'm going to be teaching the game tonight to my wife and another couple.
The rules seem pretty straight forward, but I am confused about how the first "bomb" is played.
The rules state that you can play a bomb even if it is not your turn.
How exactly do you do that?

Do I stop the person to my right before they play with a
"(STOP) I'm going to play a bomb?"

Or

Do I take my turn and then tell the person to my right before they play "WAIT, I'm playing a bomb now?"

How exactly do I jump in and make the bomb play?
And what happens if two people want to play a bomb at the same time and it is neither one of their turns?

Thanks in advance for your help. Looking forward to playing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't know why you seem to be stuck on the player on your right (or, for that matter, on a lead). You can bomb at any time (except *before* another player's lead, *after* a dog, or *after* a bomb of same or higher value as yours).

After/before any other player turn (including your own), you simply say "I'd like to play a bomb", then you proceed to play your bomb. It's incredibly rare for two people to try to bomb 'simultaneously'. I've seen some mention of "when two want to bomb at the same time, break the tie by first in play order from the current player". But again, incredibly rare and usually irrelevant.

Generally, if two people wish to bomb, it's preferential to go last (if your bomb is higher you'll be able to overbomb and waste your opponent's bomb; if your bomb is lower you'll wish you hadn't wasted it and gotten overbombed - you'll wish you held it and were able to play it on a later lead after the bigger bomb has passed). It's only when the bomb itself would put you out, or the two players have identically-valued straight-flush-bombs, that this is likely to matter whatsoever. Both are exceptionally rare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
I don't know why you seem to be stuck on the player on your right (or, for that matter, on a lead).

Sort of off-topic, but I imagine he was saying the player on his right because the rules mention going in counter-clockwise order, IIRC. Just a suggestion - unless you really want to play that way, I'd suggest playing in the normal American-style way, by playing clockwise around the table. It will eliminate some of the confusion, especially if your players have played hearts, spades, etc.

I haven't met a group of Tichu players that plays counter-clockwise, although that may just be our local preference... Now I'm curious which way others play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
Sort of off-topic, but I imagine he was saying the player on his right because the rules mention going in counter-clockwise order, IIRC.

Yeah, but bombs don't care about play order. Whether the player to the right was last-before-you or first-after-you shouldn't even figure in to a discussion of bomb play - because bombs can be played out of turn.

That's why I called attention to it. Maybe he was just using the player-to-right as a 'for instance'. But I wanted to make sure he wasn't under some misunderstanding about only being able to bomb before/after a specific player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Whether the player to the right was last-before-you or first-after-you shouldn't even figure in to a discussion of bomb play - because bombs can be played out of turn.
That's why Jeff said "sort of off-topic, but..."

To satisfy Jeff's curiosity, I've also never seen anyone play counter-clockwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. David Koch
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey...That Tickles....
mbmbmbmbmb
That is interesting since the rules specifically say to play to the right. Agree with you though. Would confuse most Americans(and maybe others)that are used to playing most card games going clockwise in rotation. So, we will play the rotation we are used to when playing Tichu.
Looking forward to it.
Looks like a really fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Black
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Here in NZ we always play to the right, makes it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Millikan
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Must be the coriolis thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff wrote:
I haven't met a group of Tichu players that plays counter-clockwise, although that may just be our local preference... Now I'm curious which way others play.

We play in the direction specified by the rules meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.