19 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: What's the formula for character creation? The median stats? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There must be some accepted way to create "fair" characters; I think I saw something about it years ago somewhere.

What would be the stats & possessions of the statistically median investigator?

Someone must have analyzed existing Investigators from the game and plotted them in various ways to examine their relative advantages & disadvantages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://cgjennings.ca/eons/

Here is a tool that should answer everything AND let you then print out your creations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozjesting wrote:
http://cgjennings.ca/eons/

Here is a tool that should answer everything AND let you then print out your creations! ;)
How does a graphics app tell me about game stats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Amanda Sharpe, she has completely median numbers. The trick is to find out the right special skill and equipment mix, that will be original and not gamebreaking. Usually strong characters have less equipment or more common and vice versa. But there are special ones, like Wendy Addams (Sanity 4 Stamina 4, but strong special and starts with an elder sign) or Rex Murphy (Strong character, but starts cursed). After some hours and days playing you will get some sense of the balance of the characters. I also suggest to look at all the expansion characters, they explore more of the possibilities.

To get some numbers about which characters are stronger than others, look at Tibs' statistics (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=paPMgoencsRppq3PEYWX... ).

Since you seem to like more of the role playing and flavor, have a look at Tibs' Thematic starting equipment, its a bit fiddly, but great flavorwise (also makes the game slightly harder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the lowest positions on the sliders.

Those values plus Focus should add up to 8.

This means that the most median character will have 1–4 of each of the six stats and 2 Focus. This describes Leo Anderson.

Typically a point is added to or subtracted from Focus to compensate for a weak/strong special ability (Sharpe's stats add to 9 because her ability is used so rarely).

Minimum stats never go below 0 (obviously) and never go above 3. Focus never goes below 1 and never above 4 (Wilson Richards is the only one with 4, but that's part of his special ability).

If you're going for balance, keep in mind that increasing focus yields sharp diminishing returns. The jump from 1 to 2 focus is more significant than the jump from 2 to 3. Never design a character above 3 focus, and make 3-focus characters rare. IIRC, of all the official investigators, the only ones with 3 focus have gained the bonus "point" associated with a weak special ability.

Starting possessions add up to $25.

Get the Strange Eons app that ozjesting suggested if you want to know the gritty details of item prices and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Get the Strange Eons app that ozjesting suggested if you want to know the gritty details of item prices and such. "

Where ??? I don't see any Arkham game content here:

http://cgjennings.ca/eons/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you install the application? If you try and use it to create a character (or any other piece of AH content), it has a lot of formulae and tips for how to make something balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
"Get the Strange Eons app that ozjesting suggested if you want to know the gritty details of item prices and such. "

Where ??? I don't see any Arkham game content here:

http://cgjennings.ca/eons/index.html
Sorry, I'm not sure what you're looking at on that link. Right on the front page are examples of:

items, investigator, monster, herald:

location/mythos/gate encounter

I would love nothing more than to rattle off every single rule and consideration with respect to starting equipment but I am a bit too busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
IIRC, of all the official investigators, the only ones with 3 focus have gained the bonus "point" associated with a weak special ability.
Joe Diamnod has Focus 3 and IMO very strong ability ("Hunches - Any Phase: Joe rolls one extra bonus die when he spends a Clue token to add to a roll."). But he has very small will and 4 max. sanity, which makes fighting dangerous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matejmoravek wrote:
kungfro wrote:
IIRC, of all the official investigators, the only ones with 3 focus have gained the bonus "point" associated with a weak special ability.
Joe Diamnod has Focus 3 and IMO very strong ability ("Hunches - Any Phase: Joe rolls one extra bonus die when he spends a Clue token to add to a roll."). But he has very small will and 4 max. sanity, which makes fighting dangerous.
I don't think that matters. I think the designers considered his ability to be weak because it requires spending clues, which are typically critical to winning the game.

And I don't think he's so bad of a fighter because he starts with a great weapon and can keep his Will maxed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Linux userMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: Puerto Rico fanMicrobadge: Peanuts fan
This thread has a detailed description of how Investigators are balanced, and it incorporates feedback from the designers: Custom Character Creation Rules for Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
Did you install the application? If you try and use it to create a character (or any other piece of AH content), it has a lot of formulae and tips for how to make something balanced.
Really? Nothing on their page tells me that it has built in information on doing stuff for Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
tim-pelican wrote:
Really? Nothing on their page tells me that it has built in information on doing stuff for Arkham.
So what? Nothing on their page tells you that it doesn't have built in information on doing stuff for Arkham. People here are trying to help you out and obviously they have some experience with Strange Eons, so just follow their advice and download the darn thing. It's a great tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 vote on Strange Eons tool.

I have used it to create 4 fan expansions for Arkham horror which include 8 new investigators. The rules for how to balance the character are built into tool and if you decide to break them, the tool allows you to do so but places a big "Unbalanced" watermark across the image.

There examples of new investigator files - with both PDF images and .eon files (the data files used by the creation tool) in the attached postings:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1204791/horror-red-hook-lat...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1262127/fan-made-expansion-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:

So what? Nothing on their page tells you that it doesn't have built in information on doing stuff for Arkham.
Where's Waldo ??? I don't do treasure hunts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
At least 5 people in this thread tell you that the application gives you plenty of information on balancing characters. Do you think they are all just kidding you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn H.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
hugolefou wrote:

So what? Nothing on their page tells you that it doesn't have built in information on doing stuff for Arkham.
Where's Waldo ??? I don't do treasure hunts.
I suspect rude replies may not encourage people to assist you. This is not an official site and no one here gets paid to help you out. The risk is that people will start to ignore positive contributions you have to make like your crosstown bus suggestion.

I also doubt my post will change your behavior. But I am going to point it out as unacceptable so others that may be reading these forums do not see this as the normal behavior of the community and decide not to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't appreciate having my time wasted. I spent time clicking thru that site & several layers looking for Arkham content related to the app.

The persons who recommended it should have said "this is an app to create Arkham content and it has some bundled in the download of the app."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

1) Just download clic on this link to download the program for windows http://cgjennings.ca/eons/download/strange-eons-windows-b375...
2) Install it.
3) Run it.
4) Do some Arkham stuff with it.

Simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls