Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Bradley
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited about this idea but I'm curious if there's going to be a problem with licensing issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandakai wrote:
I'm excited about this idea but I'm curious if there's going to be a problem with licensing issues?
There shouldn't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean W&W is going to get licenses? Or a license isn't needed to sell a game about Star Wars, Marvel, LOTR, etc? Or W&W is going to be wink-wink vague about not specifically naming branded characters? I guess I'm just clueless about how licensing works and what's permissible and what's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
Microbadge: Gamelyn Games fanMicrobadge: Unfair fanMicrobadge: One Night Ultimate Werewolf fanMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: I play with green!
I don't see why licensing would be needed or even an issues. They are not branding it as Wits & Wagers: Star Wars, or whatever. They are simply including trivia questions from various franchises. It's basic common usage.

"How many droids can be seen in Jabba's Palace?"
No copyright infringement there... just a simple question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I just don't understand how this is different from a situation where licensing would be needed. I don't mean to stir up anything here, I'm just curious to learn more about licensing issues, but I suppose I should go elsewhere to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We cannot have more than 30% (or some such number) of our questions about 1 brand. That would be copyright infringement. And we cannot make it seem like this is a licensed product (for instance, W&W: Star Wars edition, or W&W: Lord of the Rings edition) because that would be trademark infringement. But we can have a trivia game about movies. Or a trivia game about brands that geeks love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Bradley
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh! That explains it! Thank you, that was the information I was curious about. Very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls