Hide
9 Posts

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » General

Subject: Tie after first dice roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pittman
msg tools
Microbadge: Plaid Hat Games "Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn" Contest participantMicrobadge: Fan of Sparky the Stunt Dog!Microbadge: Blood Rage fan - Bear Clan
How often does this occur for other players?

It seems to happen frequently for me.

My friend whom I mainly play against really dislikes it because he thinks he rolls well and then we tie and then he rolls worse (statistically, of course, that would balance out, but he doesn't notice the bad rolls he gets to re-roll haha).

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mottainai fanMicrobadge: Epic fanMicrobadge: Seasons fanMicrobadge: AS Roma fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fan
Bad roll happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Longhini
Spain
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pente fanMicrobadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Johannes Gutenberg - father of the printing revolution
Personally in my first roll i only have eyes for the basic dices... once we count that dices and determine who goes first i see the others... Its a kind of auto mind trap, if i dont see i cannot complaint.
laughlaughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Alpha Centauri Computer Game fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - Not a CylonMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Bottom of the 9th fanMicrobadge: Oscar Wilde fan
I've always ruled that if both players are tied on basic dice, whoever has the fewest power symbols goes first..it seemed a logical extension of the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
I've always ruled that if both players are tied on basic dice, whoever has the fewest power symbols goes first..it seemed a logical extension of the rule.
This makes more sense than just rerolling. If you tie at both steps, you reroll (because you both have identical rolls).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Callin Flores
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
kelann08 wrote:

This makes more sense than just rerolling. If you tie at both steps, you reroll (because you both have identical rolls).
This seems like a good alternative, but the official rule is to reroll, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
Dearborn wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

This seems like a good alternative, but the official rule is to reroll, correct?
Yes, it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dillon
msg tools
I think everyone I play with so far has hated this rule and I think it has to do with people's warped understanding of luck. I know, it makes sense sometimes to think of it this way. Oh... I rolled really good and now I have to reroll so statistically this roll will probably be worse. It's pessimistic even if it's true when the reality is you have the same chance of rolling the same roll if not better than you did before your first roll. One does not influence the other. Also... I more broadly include my opponents dice into my idea of luck when it comes to this game. If we match basic dice, that's just part of the randomness in the game. Reroll. I don't think a game of Ashes was decided on the first roll anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Demeriat
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Summoner Wars fanMicrobadge: Summoner Wars fanMicrobadge: Summoner Wars fanMicrobadge: Video Game Geek of the Week
I've always taught this part of the game with a line like "To determine who goes first, we'll roll off. Whoever rolls worse goes first, and we determine that by these symbols, called basic symbols. Since they're the weakest symbol, the more of them you have, the worse your roll, so to balance it out, you get the first action. There are ways to change your dice, but (insert deck-dependant schpiel here)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls