I found roman taxi, still shrink-wrapped at our local Goodwill and brought it home on a lark.
Here's how we turned it into a fun game:
Roman Uber-Taxi (A Variant)
1) Draw two cards per turn.
2) Each player draws in order,plays event cards in order, then moves simultaneously. (This speeds things up immensely)
3) When a 'lane' of travel cards is emptied out, the player (or the next player if the lane was emptied with a players second draw) must first draw the event card at the top of that lane. At this point they restock the event card and the travel cards in that lane. They then get their turn as usual (unless the event card says otherwise...). Since some cards are desirable and others undesirable, this affects choice of travel cards as (by emptying a lane) you may be either helping or hurting the player who follows you in the turn order. Thus a trade off must frequently be made between giving other players event cards, and choosing an optimal travel card for your turn.
4) Change the components: We used jacks for the passengers and Catan pieces for the chariots, but many convenient 3 dimensional objects would be very helpful in distinguishing the board from the pieces more easily.
New Event Cards: (3 of each... but play around with the ratio of these and the pre-existing event cards used in a game...)
A) Broken wheel: Lose this turn.
B) Agro-Oats: Double the movement of one of your travel cards.
C) Horse Puckey Pile Up: A wagon filled with manure has tipped over. Roll a D6. Place it anywhere you want. Each turn it gets turned down two pips. No one may pass until it has been shoveled away (turned to zero).
D) Shiny chariot hub caps! You can steal a passenger from anyone you can move close enough for the passenger to move to your cab with two orthogonal one space moves.
E) Rome Plow!: When 0-2 spaces behind another player, play this card to double the movement of your chariot. You push the person ahead of you along with you… even if they wouldn’t choose to go that way.
F) Chariot extendo cab: you have added a temporary extension that allows you to carry two passengers. When the first passenger is delivered, the dang thing breaks and falls off your chariot. Que Sera Sera!
G) Bad Oats: Your horse has a serious gas issue. Your next or present passenger is incensed and will only pay ½ fare!
H) Bent Axle: Discard and don’t use the higher of your two travel cards.
With these changes, the game is pretty darn fun for the family, plus we continue to brainstorm and try new event cards sometimes.
- Last edited Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:54 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:53 am