8 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Luck Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Luck is probably one of the hardest attributes to raise in the game, right up there next to Movement. It's always exciting for me to get someone with natural luck mods to their attributes, and I always hate losing them to a random roll of death when just a point of difference would mean saving their life.

So, I've initiated this particular variant to give these naturally lucky fellows a little boost.

"Before rolling on any chart table in the game, survivors with non-token Positive luck modifiers may declare if they wish to add their Luck to the result of the roll. Any roll of a natural 1 is counted as 1."

There is a corollary:

"Any survivors with a negative Luck attribute, whether inherent or token, must subtract their modifier from the result of their roll made in any chart table in the game."

The reasoning behind these variants is a thought that inherently lucky people will have a more positive outcome (or expectation, considering that some high rolls on a few tables are not at all good); whereas negative luck survivors are expecting the worst, and seem to reinforce the idea of the world being out to get them by giving up and fulfilling their expectations.

However: positive Luck mods to the roll must be made in advance, as it is a wager. Even the luckiest man alive cannot expect to survive impossible odds every time he does something stupid, and the world loves to prove them wrong.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
I like the idea in principle - would you apply this to serious wound rolls too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Every charted table wherever it applies to a single survivor making a roll would be applicable. Including severe injury tables and head trauma.

However, this would rule out events like intimacy - because you need 2 to tango there - hunt events, and monster death events, because they are group rolls.

A one is still a one, though, so even on severe injury tables with the luck boost: you die on 1.

One thing to point out here - on the reddit page I posted this variant up and found a little confusion about how criticals work. Now, this is just my interpretation, but I think it applies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomDeath/comments/3si9yr/luck_v...

A natural 10 on a wound roll is the only roll to automatically hit and critical a monster.

If a monster has 10 Toughness and a survivor with +1 luck rolls to wound: roll of natural 9, add in +0 strength - the hit fails to overcome the monster's toughness, it does not wound, it does not critically wound.

I bring this point up because someone on the reddit page called luck bonuses a +10% chance to auto-wound a monster. Which, I believe, it is not. You still have to get through the armor first to hurt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Schneider
msg tools
Hey that was me on reddit, that's funny. I need to look at that again when I get home, if you're correct about that then I like the idea of that variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Ashaway
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
IASeldon wrote:

One thing to point out here - on the reddit page I posted this variant up and found a little confusion about how criticals work. Now, this is just my interpretation, but I think it applies.

A natural 10 on a wound roll is the only roll to automatically hit and critical a monster.

If a monster has 10 Toughness and a survivor with +1 luck rolls to wound: roll of natural 9, add in +0 strength - the hit fails to overcome the monster's toughness, it does not wound, it does not critically wound.

I bring this point up because someone on the reddit page called luck bonuses a +10% chance to auto-wound a monster. Which, I believe, it is not. You still have to get through the armor first to hurt it.
With survivor luck at 0: A natural 10 is a critical and wounds the monster automatically.

With survivor luck at 1: A natural 9 or 10 is a critical and wounds.

With survivor luck at X: A natural (10-X) to X is a critical and wounds.

It doesn't matter what the monster's toughness is with a critical. It does only work when the HL card drawn has a critical wound effect, otherwise it's back to being based on strength vs. toughness.

Monster luck will lower the range where you can cause a critical wound, making them impossible unless the survivors at least match the monster's luck. Negative survivor luck will also do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
ClockRhythmEcho wrote:
IASeldon wrote:

With survivor luck at 0: A natural 10 is a critical and wounds the monster automatically.

With survivor luck at 1: A natural 9 or 10 is a critical and wounds.

It doesn't matter what the monster's toughness is with a critical. It does only work when the HL card drawn has a critical wound effect, otherwise it's back to being based on strength vs. toughness.

Monster luck will lower the range where you can cause a critical wound, making them impossible unless the survivors at least match the monster's luck. Negative survivor luck will also do this.
This is correct.

Variant 2 (House Rule): Despite the aforementioned above being true, I declare it bullshit. Critical wounds rolls must actually be able to penetrate the toughness of the monster in order to wound it critically. So sayeth Dread Cthulhu. A natural 10 roll still hits automatically. I made up an analogy using a child and a knight in plate mail armor on the reddit post, but am too sleepy to redo it here. No knights were harmed by children in the making of this post.

The rabbit got to 'em instead.

...there were no survivors.

....except for Dave. But nobody likes Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
ClockRhythmEcho wrote:
So with Luck 2, a roll of a natural 8 to 2 is a critical? that doesn't sound right at all!

Really though, the way I do it is just:

X = natural die roll + survivor luck - monster luck

If X is 10 or higher AND the targetted hit location has a critical effect, the attack is critical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan the Mysterious
msg tools
mb
No...

It's simple.

You roll a lantern on your wound roll, its always a critical.

The definition of a lantern is what is changing
Normally lantern = 10 on the die. This is always the case no matter the luck changing. If you roll a lantern you critically hit.

If you have luck 2 and monster has luck 2, they negate each other, and a lantern is still the only critical spot.

If you roll an 8 to wound, have +2 strength, have a luck of 2 and monster has a luck of 2, you do not crit because 8+2 = 10 is not a lantern. You may wound depending on its toughness, but no crit.

Even if you roll an 8 to wound, have +6 strength, that just lets you wound on a toughness of 14, it does not critically hit.

I would say that luck is not just important but vital once you start doing stuff with a toughness in the 20's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls