Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Kingmaker» Forums » Variants

Subject: Kingmaker: Assassin's Reboot (entire ruleset variant) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I geeked out and wrote an entirely new set of rules (after flailing and failing with the original one).

File download now avail on BGG!
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124774/kingmaker-assassins...

First things first: all Event cards that tediously move Nobles from town to town are STRICTLY BANNED and PERMANENTLY removed from play. Secondly, battles DO NOT USE THE COMPLICATED ODDS. Otherwise game play goes something like this:

7 Towns will house the 7 Royal Heirs. The King will start in London. Crown cards will be dealt and play begins. Each player will declare their Factions and can control up to (4) Factions each led by a strategically chosen Noble and traveling with an army of varying strength, titles, and roles. Factions will travel in normal Kingmaker fashion by land and sea with the goal to capture the Royals housed in Towns. Battles will be waged and use Event cards creatively to build an army from the attacking and defending Faction. Combat winners are determined by strength of army. Random casualties will occur. Nobles will die. Factions will occupy and defend the Towns housing Royals. Plagues will occur and Royals and their captors will be completely wiped out. Parliament will be called and bestow property and armies upon attending members. Ships carrying Mercenaries will volley artillery at other ships and Factions. And finally, an intriguing End-Game involves assassinating the King to win the crown. Players must secure an *untitled* noble as an "Assassin-in-Waiting" within the King's Garrison. The Assassin may be accompanied with an unlimited number of Mercenaries for protection and an unlimited number of Archbishops to help hide the Assassin within Cathedrals in the Town housing the King. To enter End-Game (a "knock" round) requires 1st) capturing all surviving members of one House (York or Lancaster) and 2nd) securing at least one Assassin-in-Waiting at the King's location. If the knocking player can survive the round with both conditions intact then the King is killed and the player secures the crown in victory. To prevent the knock, defending players will attempt repeated Solo-Attacks and Ship Artillery barrages in an attempt to kill the knocking player's Assassin(s) or capture a housed Royal Heir.

Wrinkle: Royal Heirs cannot leave their designated Town while the King is alive; but if the King dies due to a Plague then chaos will ensue and Royals can be captured and turtled around until one player owns all members of a House to win. That's it!

Backstory: I bought this game for $3.75 at the Lead Hill Flea Market and we proceeded to completely fail to understand it and ended in controversy and confusion. Not taking this failure lightly, I rewrote the entire game on my iPhone over 18 hours straight of flights. I apologize for not grasping the original rules and please be lenient if some historical significance is lost or inconsistencies arise. The gameplay does attempt to remain true to the time and physical reality. My son and I love Risk, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Atlas & Zeus so it's probably got some overlap with all three.

Enjoy.

(orig: http://estreak.com/docs/KingmakerAssasinsReboot.pdf)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Looks like a bit of work. I'll have a look later, but thought I'd help with some BGG features.
PDF contributions like yours can be uploaded to the Files section of a game's page, and will find a permanent home there. In addition BGG will credit you a few geek gold for your efforts. It has to be checked by the moderators so, it will disappear into purgatory for a day or so before it becomes available to others.

You might find this thread helpful;

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/819483/every-gamer-bgg-guid...

Welcome to BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a substantial piece of work - I applaud your effort in that respect. I can't comment on it's quality because I no longer possess this game although it always seemed to me that it could be made into a great game rather than the somewhat frustrating thing I found it to be. If I see some positive responses to your variant I may have to re-acquire this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
MI
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Thrift Store JunkieMicrobadge: BGG Chain of Generosity participantMicrobadge: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/800Microbadge: Noah Charity Auction 2012Microbadge: Merchants & Marauders fan
Haven't had a chance to look at what you put together but anything that draws attention to the game is good!

Long Live Kingmaker ... and its variants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A great effort thanks. Love the game but it does play slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls