Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Castellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Towers: am I cheating? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The tower offer the special ability that you look at one card when you put the fourth tile on top of the tower.

What happens if I destroy or move that fourth tile, and then put one more on top, making again a tower: do I trigger the special ability again?

I played it like this becuse if not, I should take track of all the tiles used in the first tower to make sure they are not part of another.

What are your thoughts?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Archange227 wrote:
The tower offer the special ability that you look at one card when you put the fourth tile on top of the tower.

What happens if I destroy or move that fourth tile, and then put one more on top, making again a tower: do I trigger the special ability again?

I played it like this becuse if not, I should take track of all the tiles used in the first tower to make sure they are not part of another.

What are your thoughts?
I've been playing it exactly the same way as you, both because of the reason you mention (the tiles can be moved around quite a bit and keeping track of them could get messy) and because I think that a literal interpretation of the rulebook supports playing that way. That said, I do feel a bit like I'm cheating when I reuse a tower .
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, I felt it was a legitimate play (after first feeling the guilt). My reasoning for feeling better was at least 2-3 tiles needed to be discarded in order to achieve this anyway which is not far off building another one.

My one exception was not to allow a juggler to swap two tiles in the same tower formation to count as a 'new' tower.

Managing the discard rate vs play-to-field is quite subtle. I was very surprised in a two player game how transferring tiles to the other castle too frequently burnt through tiles and a rapid pace. It was obvious the cost was there in retrospect, but for some reason the need to complete each others formation blindsided us to losing tiles twice as fast.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SolarJ wrote:
Same here, I felt it was a legitimate play (after first feeling the guilt). My reasoning for feeling better was at least 2-3 tiles needed to be discarded in order to achieve this anyway which is not far off building another one.

My one exception was not to allow a juggler to swap two tiles in the same tower formation to count as a 'new' tower.
I also play with that exception, both because it would feel like cheating and because I don't think that swapping two tiles within a tower is actually completing a tower, since it doesn't really stop being a tower at any point in between.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Juggler specifies that you "change positions of 2 orthogonally adjacent Defender tiles," while the rules for completing a Tower specifically mentions that its power triggers when "you place the 4th tile." To Place is the action to play a Defender Tile, so I could see how the Juggler would not trigger the power for completing a Tower.

Although destroying a Defender Tile in a Tower with The Pyro, and then Placing a new Defender Tile on top to complete the Tower, should be legit.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
The Juggler specifies that you "change positions of 2 orthogonally adjacent Defender tiles," while the rules for completing a Tower specifically mentions that its power triggers when "you place the 4th tile." To Place is the action to play a Defender Tile, so I could see how the Juggler would not trigger the power for completing a Tower.

Although destroying a Defender Tile in a Tower with The Pyro, amd then Placing a new Defender Tile on top to complete the Tower, should be legit.
Good point. Thanks.

It would be nice with an official ruling on this.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Robledo
msg tools
I completely agree with this

Juggler only changes positions, so it wouldnt be valid, and in dont knw if it would be valid with the second effecr form a pyro, since the rulebook says it "moves" a tile, so it may not count either

In that case the only way would be to get the neccesary tile from the pile, or through a chameleon

Still, it would be awesome to hear from shadi torbey himself for an official ruling
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Beguhl
msg tools
I agree that the second effect of the pyro should not count towards making a tower that will enable it to use its power to reveal an ordeal card. Only placing a tile will make it correct.

It is rather ambiguous that you can use the pyro's 2nd effect to make a tower to satisfy an ordeal, however you cannot use that effect to create a tower to reveal the next ordeal card. Interesting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls