Bayreuth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

recently a discussion emerged about the term "control" and which cards one controls - especially when it is defined more closely like " a unit you control". Where in the rules or FAQ is the term defined?
As of this moment we believe that a card you control is any card not in your discard pile or deck. (Otherwise it should say: in play?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvils Feldmanis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play many different RPGsMicrobadge: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons player
You, my dear friend, are correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not right ... cards in your hand and discard pile are under your control as well. I've confirmed that with Erik from FFG previously. Cards you control are all cards that start the game in your decks (ie cards you "own") that haven't changed control by an effect.

When a term like "unit you control" is used, the rule you're looking for is that card effects can only affect or refer to cards in play, unless it specifically references an out of play state, or requires that the card be in an out of play state to be referencable (eg "play a card from your hand" allows you to affect a card not in play).

So in this case it turns out to be much the same thing, only units you control that are currently in play can be affected, but the distinction can be important for other effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Bayreuth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So that is the only difference? In play: out on the table. Control: Also your hand?

And can you point me to the rule reference there? I would appreciate this as it bugged us horribly last game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Bayreuth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrennan wrote:

When a term like "unit you control" is used, the rule you're looking for is that card effects can only affect or refer to cards in play, unless it specifically references an out of play state, or requires that the card be in an out of play state to be referencable (eg "play a card from your hand" allows you to affect a card not in play).
So not in hand? I.e. "Bucket o`Bolts" only works on Pilot units played as units for example and you may then have them "hop into a cockpit" so to say?

I had other cards along the lines where I believe this also meant cards in hand - that is why I asked for the defacto rules reference. Though I couldn't find it anywhere (which I found odd, as this seems to be something very basic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no rules reference for "control" (maybe because it was considered too basic) ... that's why I previously confirmed it with the game's design team and am passing that knowledge on.

Re Bucket o'Bolts and any other effect that uses "you control", per the above, it can only affect cards in play unless the effect specifically allows or requires otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Bayreuth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
badge