Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Oregon Highway Division tries to remove a dead beached whale with dynamite

One of the choice observations: "Umenhofer's (a bystander who had warned that two much TNT was being used) brand-new Oldsmobile was flattened by a chunk of falling blubber after the blast. He had just bought the Ninety-Eight Regency at Dunham Oldsmobile in Eugene, during the "Get a Whale of a Deal" promotion."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

I just spent an informative 15 minutes watching whales explode on youtube due to this thread.laughlaughlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favourite historic wtfs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't that they used too much dynamite, it was that people were too close to the explosion. In fact, despite all the fallout, the whale was still not destroyed. Thus, too little dynamite was used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
It wasn't that they used too much dynamite, it was that people were too close to the explosion. In fact, despite all the fallout, the whale was still not destroyed. Thus, too little dynamite was used.
I think it wasn't the amount of explosive power that was the problem, it was the way it was used. Instead of being disintegrated, the whale was broken into large chunks and thrown around. More dynamite might have just thrown the chunks farther. Maybe they should have tried to find a way to incinerate the whale on the spot? Or just leave it be, close the beach for the year, and let nature take its course. The crabs and seagulls will pick the bones clean eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
jumbit wrote:
I think it wasn't the amount of explosive power that was the problem, it was the way it was used. Instead of being disintegrated, the whale was broken into large chunks and thrown around. More dynamite might have just thrown the chunks farther. Maybe they should have tried to find a way to incinerate the whale on the spot? Or just leave it be, close the beach for the year, and let nature take its course. The crabs and seagulls will pick the bones clean eventually.
Which would have hurt the local economy, assuming the beach was a tourist attraction. And local residents would have smelled a rotting whale corpse from miles away, for who knows how long. And imagine the swarms of flies around the beach and the giant maggot ridden whale corpse. I'd be pretty upset if that was the decision and I lived anywhere near the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
Clearly, they should have just nuked the site from orbit.

Only way to be sure!

(FWIW, this story is trending a bit, now, as we have the problem happening, again. Another huge whale recently beached on the coast, so...I suppose they probably aren't going to try dynamite, again, anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Send in Tintin:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:
Send in Tintin:

And now we know why rhinos are endangered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc Lauzon

Montreal
Quebec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that this scene was, in the Swedish edition, considered "too naive" and Hergé redrew a more "realistic" (and far less painful for the poor rhino) version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
batdog wrote:
Send in Tintin:
gulp He certainly could have turned that into 'dogfood' for some "Rin-Tin-Tin" then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, "The Blast Blasted Blubber Beyond All Believable Bounds"
 Thumb up