7 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Second scenario scaling issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, I've been meaning to post this here but I've waited since I know a lot of people haven't gotten their copies yet. Its rather a scaling issue than rule clarification maybe.

I can't get my head around the scaling when meeting Vorakesh, villain in the second quest. During the quest you draw quest card asking you to spread out zombies all over the map (cities, shrines, towns, castles etc.). They stack up. You're incentivized to kill them since you gain a gold each time, but at the same time you also have other matters to attend to, other quests, adventuring to gear up etc. The game ends when act 2 is ended so you really need to close in to the villain when there's a couple of turns left (it's not like the first scenario). When you're 4 players, its no problem keeping the zombie count down since you're fairly spread out over the map, but as the number of players decreases (I solo it!) it gets increasingly harder to travel to all places with zombies (you often end up covering maybe half the map if you're not Master Thorns). This leaves a lot of zombies un-dead (umh pun intended). When facing villian this is a problem as the rules state he gets +1 HP for each zombie still on the map, -2 HP for each companion you have (they're fairly hard to come by especially if you're chasing all zombies) and he's capped at a floor of 8 HP. Like that's necessary. Nothing about a roof of let's say 15. I met him solo last night and he had 24 HP. I managed to kill off 8 and I was fairly geared etc. leaving me to think he's impossible to kill with that much HP. (He has heal etc.)

What are your thoughts?
- Quests should scale better? I.e. number of zombies (and their placement) by number of players.
- Vorakesh should cap his maximum HP to let's say 15?
- I should just shut up and get better at the game?!
- I'm missing something or playing rules wrong etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Microbadge: “Yet feet that wandering have gone / Turn at last to home afar.” Christopher Tolkien, 1924-2020Microbadge: Middle-earth fan - I can read TengwarMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: The Silmarillion fanMicrobadge: Bisexual
I can make two observations about your experience:

a) first of all, you played it solo. There are a few story cards in the scenario that spawn a lot of zombies around. When you play 2p, you have a lot less problems than when you solo the scenario. For soloing the scenario, I'd suggest you to either spawn less zombie (divide the number by 2, round up) or to give Vorakesh a +1 health for every 2 zombies in play

b) in the Vorakesh scenario, timing is everything. Often you don't want to wait until the very end because some story cards can make him a lot tougher to beat so that when you are fully geared up it could be more difficult if you have a good item and an average item

Also, a good strategy against Vorakesh is to work properly on green and purple encounters

I think Vorakesh is a lot harder than Margath (so far, I win Margath 70% of the times, while Vorakesh only 40%), also due to the more limited time you have available. That's why it's very important to play a few times Margath, so that the patterns of skills and items become more evident.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the scenario did not decide to 100% support solo, so Im not surprise at all that it scaling not well.

However im pretty please to know that this one is hard. The dragon look easy to me even i did not have the game yet. Im worry for a while that two scenario might be too much similar (race to kill bad guy). Now i know it different enough to give me different experience.

Sorry for any mistype, im on the car. (Not driver of course lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
I can make two observations about your experience:

a) first of all, you played it solo. There are a few story cards in the scenario that spawn a lot of zombies around. When you play 2p, you have a lot less problems than when you solo the scenario. For soloing the scenario, I'd suggest you to either spawn less zombie (divide the number by 2, round up) or to give Vorakesh a +1 health for every 2 zombies in play

b) in the Vorakesh scenario, timing is everything. Often you don't want to wait until the very end because some story cards can make him a lot tougher to beat so that when you are fully geared up it could be more difficult if you have a good item and an average item

Also, a good strategy against Vorakesh is to work properly on green and purple encounters

I think Vorakesh is a lot harder than Margath (so far, I win Margath 70% of the times, while Vorakesh only 40%), also due to the more limited time you have available. That's why it's very important to play a few times Margath, so that the patterns of skills and items become more evident.

Hope this helps
a) Yeah, well, it shouldn't come as a surprise that soloing when there are no official rules could lead to some house ruling :-) The +1 instead of +2 HP is ofc one way (good way I might add) of doing it.

b) Mmh I've yet to master the timing on that (or I've just been unlucky to draw the zombie-spawning cards early on or mid game)!

Reason I raised the issue was that I have ALOT higher success rate with Margath than Vorakesh (70 vs 0 when soloing), in 2p games its much closer like you say! It is a good thing that its hard, but it shouldn't be too hard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Microbadge: “Yet feet that wandering have gone / Turn at last to home afar.” Christopher Tolkien, 1924-2020Microbadge: Middle-earth fan - I can read TengwarMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: The Silmarillion fanMicrobadge: Bisexual
I'm 70-30 against Margath, and 50-50 against Vorakesh

Basically, you need to gain a little knowledge of the story deck to get the right time trigger on when to attack. I don't want to spoil you the discovery, tho, so, unless asked, I won't comment on strategy further
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question as the OP after playing a 2-player game. There is exactly one quest card, which may or may not come up, that has scaling language (each player spawns 1 zombie). The Companions will be more concentrated across players, which should help (except the more zombies you face, the greater chance of them chomping your companions), but it still seemed odd to me that most of your time seemingly has to be focussed on Zombie Slaying to have a chance, since there are only two of you, and a large horde, and minimal time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Stranden
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
I guess it's supposed to scale with the followers. You get just as many followers on the map in 4 player game as you do in 2 player game. But the fewer players, the more companions you can have available per player. Though that cannot quite outweigh the number of zombies the players kill in 3-4 player game vs. 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls