Subject: To expand or not to expand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fantasy fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: Devastation of Indines fan - Jager Brandtford (Wolf)Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I jumped into this project on day one, and so far I'm very pleased with all the SG's for the core set.

On the other hand, I'm still undecided about the expansion packs, if anything, I think I would go for the one priced $65, with a dragon and 4 heroes.

My question is: how much will this add to the base game? Say I'm playing with characters from the core set throught the campaign, the expansion only adds a small bunch of enemies.
What are your views on this? How did the expansions for Galaxy Defenders turn out?

When I back a project, I tend to go most/full monty (eg Zombicide:the Black Plague, 7th Continent, Dungeon Saga...)

Having received the latter recently, I can see I could have waited for the Adventurer's Companion to hit retail, as the product is encumbered with typos and errors regarding characters' abilities).

So, should I back any S&S expansions at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johnson
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Project ManagerMicrobadge: GrandCon attendeeMicrobadge: Starfinder RPG fanMicrobadge: Gen Con attendeeMicrobadge: "In for one!" - Hot deals fan
I feel you, Echtalion. The thing that continues to draw me toward the $65 add-on is the character classes. Each looks extraordinarily interesting and versatile. Then when you consider that Vastaryous' lair adds another 4-5 scenarios and the possibility of a 10-man raid one day makes me question how I could possibly not back it. At that point, it seems silly not to bump it up to the Immortal add-on because that one just packs in an incredible amount of value. It's a rough cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
Microbadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fan
Echtalion wrote:
I jumped into this project on day one, and so far I'm very pleased with all the SG's for the core set.

On the other hand, I'm still undecided about the expansion packs, if anything, I think I would go for the one priced $65, with a dragon and 4 heroes.
So the $65 Dragon Slayer add-on will give you the following:

Dragon Expansion -
* 1 Massive (and I mean massive) Dragon Super Duper master enemy
* 5 Draconian Enemies
* Story Book with 4 quests
* 7 map tiles
* 90+ Cards & Tokens

3 x Heroes (each inc about 15 cards, miniature, etc)
Druid Hero (inc 1 x Bear companion)
Summoner Hero (inc 2 x summon companions - Efreet & Nightwalker)
Dragon Hero

The $95 Immortal Add-on will give you:
* All of the $65 level items +
* Metal S&S Coins (replacement to the included cardboard coins)
* 3D Environmental Objects (4 x Doors / 4 x Chests / 4 x Locked Doors)
* 1 x Cloth Bag (base pledge comes with 1)
* 1 x Set of Dice (extra incase you don't want to share dice)
* 1 x Set of All Heroes/Companions (These will be light blue colour for using either as 'ghost' form or those who want to paint both Law/Chaos)

Quote:
My question is: how much will this add to the base game?

So the heroes will only add more variability to the game and perhaps give you more playthroughs using different heroes, plus there is only 1 hero in the base with a companion so to add on 2 x more where one has 2 x different companions is quite good.

The main 'meat' will come from the Dragon expansion, each quest being created is proposed to go for about 90-120minutes each, so 4 x 90-120minutes of play-time to extend the base game. There was also discussion from Ares about having 2 modes of play for the Dragon, normal quest and a 'Raid' mode (similar to like an MMORPG big boss fight)

Quote:
Say I'm playing with characters from the core set throught the campaign, the expansion only adds a small bunch of enemies.
What are your views on this? How did the expansions for Galaxy Defenders turn out?
I never played GD expansion only have the base yet, but if we were to do a like-for-like then the GD expansion is like the ACT 2 content you're already getting in your base pledge.

The Dragon Expansion is like a mini-expansion, the side quests included are optional to the main campaign which will span across 3 Acts.

Also note the GD Expansion KS had more backers than the original GD KS, which shows that there were plenty of returning fans + new backers wanting a copy

Quote:
When I back a project, I tend to go most/full monty (eg Zombicide:the Black Plague, 7th Continent, Dungeon Saga...)

Having received the latter recently, I can see I could have waited for the Adventurer's Companion to hit retail, as the product is encumbered with typos and errors regarding characters' abilities).
From all the images/videos I've seen of Dungeon Saga, Ares/Gremlin are on a different level, S&S would be better compared to Descent 2.0 quality on all counts... Having gotten GD at retail, for a game that only got 1000 odd backers the quality of components and rule book really made me go all in on this KS. You can trust they produce quality components with as little errata as possible (even big names like FFG get small errata).

Quote:
So, should I back any S&S expansions at all?
I'd say it all comes down to your finances, KS is a luxury remember, if you can afford it why not? Myself I'm backing at the top Immortal level as I've got spare funds and was already going with all the add-ons + premium components like the metal coins so for me I actually saved $3 by going with the Immortal pledge

Hope this helps thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sword & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: This War of Mine fanMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through 2017 Super Fan!Microbadge: 2016 Copper Supporter
Although peronally I want you to spend as much as possible for the stretchgoals, imo with the basic set you have massive content!

KS S&S Base game
- 11 heroes
- 15 quests + 3 additional downloadable
- 11 monster groups
- 4 bosses

Dragon Slayer bundle adds
- 4 Quests (plus map tiles)
- 3 heroes
- 1 monster group
- 1 boss

all other addons are only cosmetic, but very nice.

So ask yourself:
Do I really want the full experience: go immortal
Do I not want to miss something: go dragon slayer
Do I play occasionally only and when I want more I'll buy more in retail: go legendary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fantasy fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: Devastation of Indines fan - Jager Brandtford (Wolf)Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I'm still undecided... and now Perdition's Mouth is on KS...cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
Microbadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death Original Survivor fan
Echtalion wrote:
Why not back both? They will play differently even though they are dungeon crawlers. But at this stage I'm more impressed with S&S quality and less risk of project slip/quality issues, for me Perdition's Mouth is the gamble so I'm going to wait until near end of that campaign before I back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sword & Sorcery fanMicrobadge: This War of Mine fanMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through 2017 Super Fan!Microbadge: 2016 Copper Supporter
Echtalion wrote:
To decide between S&S and PM is actually quite easy:

Do you want a RPG experience in high fantasy?
OR
Do you want a dungeon puzzle in a horror theme?

If the answer is "both" then your wallet will hate you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
carraway0877 wrote:
Echtalion wrote:
To decide between S&S and PM is actually quite easy:

Do you want a RPG experience in high fantasy?
OR
Do you want a dungeon puzzle in a horror theme?

If the answer is "both" then your wallet will hate you!

I've always found the $1 pledge to be my friend. I can claim a spot in the PM and then decide if I really want to go in at a later date. The approach has saved me a ton of heartache in the past as it's easy for me to get caught up in the KS campaign. If I decide not to back, it's cost me 100 pennies. cool

Kick, one of these (or both) for $1 and see where you sit once the campaign ends and the PM opens. Yeah, that doesn't help stretch goal attainment, but it might help you in managing discretionary spending.

I did, however, pickup an EB here on S&S and am debating upping the pledge. That may have to wait for PM as the holidays are almost here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Fireteam Zero fan - monsters!Microbadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Sagrada fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Defenders fan - Hulk AgentMicrobadge: Thunder Alley fan
As far as typos and errata and other problems that Dungeon Saga has, I wouldn't expect that level from Ares. There will always be little details to correct with 1st editions but they have been very competent with previous games and you can be confident it won't end up like the Adventurers companion from Dungeon Saga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Legends of Andor fanMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: Mice and Mystics fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Artipia Games "Drum Roll" Contest participant
I backed both gd and the expansion both games showed up perfect . I had zero issues ! both gd and the expansions I went all in because I know I'm getting a great fit and finish polished game from these guys ! This is close to my 100 th ks.. these guys do it just as good as cool mini or not . Add with Confidence my friend ! Which is more then I can say about dungeon saga which I'm dreading to have to go through when it arrives !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
noahshu wrote:
I backed both gd and the expansion both games showed up perfect . I had zero issues ! both gd and the expansions I went all in because I know I'm getting a great fit and finish polished game from these guys ! This is close to my 100 th ks.. these guys do it just as good as cool mini or not . Add with Confidence my friend !
I just had a buddy GM me saying pretty much the exact same thing. I upped to immortal. cool

noahshu wrote:
Which is more then I can say about dungeon saga which I'm dreading to have to go through when it arrives !
One of my $1 pledges that I never ended up backing. I hoped they'd flesh out the coop mode, but I never felt confident they'd do it and simply donated my $1. Sounds like they've had a problem or two along the way based on what I've seen around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls